Garnier Goodbye Dry Gentle Cleansing Milk Review




Ganier's Goodbye Dry Gentle Cleansing Milk was a product I had my eye on for a while - I considered picking up almost every time I popped into Priceline, but never committed until last year's 40% off skincare sale. I'm not even sure what appealed to me - I've never been that big of a fan of cleansing milks. According to Garnier, the Goodbye Dry Gentle Cleansing Milk "gently removes make-up, impurities and pollution accumulated throughout the day, in just one step. Enriched with softening Cherry extract, Goodbye Dry Gentle Cleansing Milk leaves skin comfortable and softened, with no greasy feeling." Each bottle contains 200ml and retails for around $8 here in Australia. Garnier is not cruelty free. This product was made in Germany.

I think packaging may be what pulled me in here. Garnier's Goodbye Dry Gentle Cleansing Milk comes in an opaque white bottle with a flip top cap. The product name and a few claims are printed on the front label in appealing pink and black font, against a background that suggests a creamy and comforting product. Addition product information, directions for use, and an ingredient list can be found on the back of the bottle (which is recyclable).

Garnier's Goodbye Dry Gentle Cleansing Milk is a thin, sakura hued lotion that's meant to be squeezed out onto a cotton pad and swept across the face to remove makeup and cleanse. It took me just one use to know that I hated this product! This supposedly gentle cleansing milk stung my eyes worse than anything I've used in a long time. Once I rinsed away this burning, stinging lotion, I was appalled to see how completely ineffective it was! Garnier's cleansing milk removed less than half of my makeup and didn't even make an impact on my (non waterproof) mascara. Maybe it was just a fluke? Nah. I tried to make the Goodbye Dry Gentle Cleansing Milk work three or four times with no luck - I always have to follow up with the far more effective Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water. On top of the burning sensation and complete lack of efficacy, Garnier's cleansing milk also leaves behind a residue that makes my skin feel tight and itchy, no matter how well I rinse. I just don't have a single good thing to say about this product - for it's intended use! I recently got hooked on using conditioner to shave my legs, and decided to try this lotion-like makeup remover as a shaving product, and it works decently well! As a shaving lotion, Garnier's Goodbye Dry Gentle Cleansing Milk gives me a smooth shave with no irritation, and it leaves my legs feeling pretty moisturized (though I still follow up with Garnier's Shea Butter Intensive Repairing Lotion). Oh, and I have one last note that'll make this product even less appealing - it smells like a mix of 90s body glitter and artificial cherry blossoms. Perhaps its nostalgic for some, but it's definitely off putting for me.

Do you ever get lulled into a false sense of security by a product's marketing? Do you ever think "This is a cleansing milk, it probably really IS gentle, I don't NEED to look at the ingredients list"? I should know better, but that's what I did with this product, and I regretted it. Garnier's Goodbye Dry Gentle Cleansing Milk has a shit tier ingredient list. This supposedly skin loving makeup remover is mostly made up of water, glycerin, mineral oil, alcohol, and several emollients. Salicylic Acid, a beta hydroxy acid most commonly used to combat acne, makes an unexpected appearance surprisingly high up on the ingredient list. Considering salicylic acid is rarely included in a concentration higher than 2% (3% is the maximum allowed in mass market goods, I believe), most of the ingredients that follow it are barely worth mentioning in detail. The remaining components are mostly gentle magnesium based surfactants, negligible amounts of botanical extracts (moringa and cherry blossum, to be exact), a handful of harsher sodium sulfates, and fragrance.

Garnier seems to be phasing out their Goodbye Dry Gentle Cleansing Milk, and I think that's a smart choice. In their ever expanding line of excellent makeup removers, there just isn't room for a sub par product like this one. The formulation is just bad, plain and simple - the ingredients are far from gentle, and it's completely ineffective. Does it make a decent shaving lotion? Sure, but even then you can get better products for much, much cheaper. Don't buy Garnier's Goodbye Dry Cleansing Milk, even if it's 75% off in the clearance bin.


Ingredients:
Water, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Mineral Oil, Alcohol Denat, Acrylates C10/30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Caprylol Salicylic Acid, Carbomer, CI 14700/Red 4, Disodium Cocoamphodicate, Disodium EDTA, Linalool, Magnesium Laureth Sulfate, Magnesium Laureth-8 Sulfate, Magnesium Oleth Sulfate, Morgina Seed Extract, Myrtrimonium Bromide, Pentaerthrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl, Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Phenoxyethanol, Yoshino Cherry Leaf Extract, Sodium Hydoxide, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Laureth-8 Sulfate, Sodium Oleth Sulfate, Fragrance

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...