Dermelect Commando Peptide Infused Nail Lacquer Review+Swatches

Dermelect says their Peptide Infused Nail Lacquers "merge high performance formulas with richly pigmented hues". The brand goes on to claim that these toluene, formaldehyde, and DBT free lacquers can strengthen weak nails with a special protein extracted from the wool of New Zealand sheep. An interesting boast, to say the least. Dermelect's Peptide Infused Nail Lacquers are available in over 60 shades; today I'm bringing you a review of Commando, which I received in an Ipsy Bag way back in November. These strengthening nail polishes contain 11ml (.4 fl oz) and retail for $14 on the brand's website. A limited selection of shades can also be purchased from Ulta for $12. Dermelect does not test on animals. Click through to read more.

While I liked the appearance of Dermelect's packaging, I have to say I'm severely disappointed with it's actual quality. The recyclable glass bottle offers the brand logo in bold white letters on the front, and a bit of product information on the back. The shade name or number isn't indicated anywhere on the bottle - you'll have to refer back to the color matched box if you hung onto it. The cap's silver coating started peeling and flaking off the very first time I used this polish, and a little bit more rubs off every time. Gross - its messy and it makes the packaging look trashy. Cap problems don't end there - the cap was poorly attached to the top of the brush, making it difficult to open and work with. On the plus side, packaging is recyclable.

Now the brush I can get behind. Dermelect says "an intentionally shorter artist brush provides a full coverage application yielding an even coat and an effortless nail painting experience". The thin, shorter-than-average, slightly rounded brush holds the perfect amount of polish, applying it in an even coat. There isn't a single splayed bristle to speak of. It almost makes up for the otherwise shoddy packaging.
Dermelect's Peptide Infused Nail Lacquers have a pretty nice formula. This nail polish is a little less fluid than usual, it reminds me of a China Glaze polish now that I think of it. Application is delightfully easy, Commando glides onto the nail in thin, even, streak-free coats that solidify pretty quickly. I'm talking dry to the touch in under 5 minutes. While I doubt that this "peptide infused" nail polish can actually do much to strengthen the nails long term, it dries quite hard on the nails, forming a protective coating. Dermelect claims that their lacquers are "water and detergent resistant", and I'm inclined to agree! I don't experience any bath time peeling like I do with many other nail polishes. That being said, I don't get fantastic wear from Commando. Chipping sets in after two days, and it's all downhill from there - but honestly, that's pretty average for me. I just have the type of nails that can't hold polish for more than a day or two. Removal is a breeze, my generic nail polish remover wipes Commando away effortlessly without any staining.

I hated Commando when I first pulled it out of last November's Ipsy Bag. It looked so ugly and sludgy in the bottle, but after one swatch I fell in love. The brand describes Commando as a "terracotta" shade, and it honestly isn't even close. Like at all. To me, Commando is a gorgeous, go-with-anything dirty rose with a cream finish. Sometimes it looks a little more brown, sometimes it shows a bit more nude - my swatches pull a little more mauve than it shows up on me, but are otherwise true to color. Commando strikes me as a very *Kardashian* color, and it's become my go-to shade when I want to feel a little posh. Pigmentation is on point, you can get away with a single coat of Commando, but I generally go for two out of habit.
Dermelect Commando Peptide Infused Nail Lacquer Swatch
I like Dermelect's Commando Peptide Infused Nail Lacquer! This gorgeous rosy brown lacquer has an easy to work with formula that wears decently on my problemtic nails. Though I have no complaints about the polish it's self, I do wish the brand would invest a little more money into their packaging design - it looks nice, but for the price I don't want to get silver paint chips everywhere. You feel me? While I think this product's price and claims are slightly inflated, I wouldn't be against trying more from Dermelect; Commando was definitely a good first impression. 



Ingredients:
Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Adipic Acid / Neopentyl Glycol / Trimellitic Anhydride Copolymer, Nitrocellulose, Triphenyl Phosphate, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Stearalkonium Bentonite, Ethyl Tosylamide, Tosylamide/Epoxy Resin, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyrate, Benzophenone-1, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Diacetone Alcohol, Citric Acid, Water (And) Hydrolyzed Keratin, Dimethicone. May Contain: Blue #1 Lake (CI 42090), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Red Iron Oxide (CI 77491), Black Iron Oxide (CI 77499), Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Yellow #5 Lake (CI 19140), Red #6 Lake (CI 15850), Red #7 Lake (CI 15850), Red #30 Lake (CI 77360), Red #34 Lake (CI 15880), Aluminum Powder (CI 77000), Polyethylene Terephthalate.

No comments