Formula X Power Source Nail Color Review+Swatches

I've heard a ton of buzz about Sephora's Formula X Nail Polishes, so I was really excited to receive one in the shade Power Source in my June Ipsy Bag! Formula X says "make sparks fly in this charismatic hot coral pink nail polish. Formula X Power Source is a universally flattering shade delivered in a patented No Compromise formula for xtraordinary color, xceptional performance, and xtra long-lasting shine. Infused with ShineXcel™, a luminescent ingredient that enhances color and overall brilliance. Recharge your positive energy with this high-octane, hair-raising hue!" There are over 100 permanent and limited edition Formula X shades, Power Source is permanent. Each Formula X nail polishes contains 12ml (.4 fl oz)  and sells for $10.50 a pop. Sephora's Formula X polishes are cruelty free and made in the USA.

 My little sample of Power source comes in a stubby, round little bottle - its quite cute! That being said. I much prefer the style of the full sized bottle. The Formula X nail colors come in rectangular glass bottles with white caps - its chunky, but in an attractive way (I feel). Unfortunately, I'm not such a big fan of the brush - at least not the sample one. The brush is narrow and rounded, with no splayed bristles, yet for some reason, application comes out a little streaky. I hope the full sized brush is better (I intend to find out!). Packaging doesn't seem to be recyclable.
Formula X Brush
 I really like this nail polish! If the other Formula X polishes are this good, than the whole range deserves all the praise and hype that it gets! Power Source is on the thicker side for a regular polish, its almost gel like in consistency; this nail lacquer feels like it would apply quite smoothly if it had a better brush. Power Source is fully opaque in two coats, and dry to the touch in five minutes. Fully dry, Power Source is rock hard, making it resistant to chipping and dents. I get great wear from Power Source, it last 3-4 days on me (which is about twice as long as most polishes) with minimal tip wear and chipping, though I have had a whole nail peel off a few times. Power Source removes easily, though it leaves behind a vague pinkish stain.

Power Source is a nearly neon coral that leans so far pink I'm tempted to call it a hot pink! This polish has a glossy cream finish that only intensifies this ultra bright coral shade. I don't typically go for pinks and corals on my nails, but Power Source is just too bright and summery to ignore! I love wearing this polish as an accent nail, with my all time favorite China Glaze For Audrey on the rest of my fingers.
Formula X Power Source Nail Color Swatches
 I never would have chosen the shade Power Source for myself, but I'm glad to have finally tried a Formula X Nail Polish! The formula is really as good as everyone says - opaque. fast drying, and long wearing. What's not to love? Ok, maybe the price tag, I cringe at the idea of spending $10+ on a nail polish, but I'd rather put out the money for a lacquer that lasts several days than pick up four or five polishes that peel right off my finicky nails. I'm for sure going to try more Formula X polishes in the future, and I recommend Power Source if this sort of color is your thing!




Vote in this month's poll in the sidebar!


Ingredients:
ethyl acetate, butyl acetate, nitrocellulose, propyl acetate, tosylamide/formaldehyde resin, isopropyl alcohol, triphenyl phosphate, trimethyl pentanyl diisobutyrate, stearalkonium bentonite, camphor, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, stearalkonium hectorite, diacetone alcohol, citric acid, benzophenone-1, dimethicone. may contain/peut contenir (+/-): guanine (ci 75170), bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77499), ferric ammonium ferrocyanide (ci 77510), yellow 5 lake (ci 19140), red 6 lake (ci 15850), red 7 lake (ci 15850), red 30 lake (ci 73360), red 34 lake (ci 15880), aluminum powder (ci 77000), blue 1 lake (ci 42090), yellow 11 (ci 47000)

Disclosure:
This post contains affiliated links/referral codes. 

1 comment