You Need a Grey Lipstick

You need a grey lipstick. It may seem like a bold statement, but its true! If you enjoy mixing your own customer lip colors, a grey lipstick is o hand for giving any shade a cooler, more pastel edge. Personally, I prefer to use a neutral grey like NYX Black Sesame Macaron Lippie ($6), but cooler toned greys will provide an even stronger effect. Click through for a couple examples. 


All of the lip mixes below show a 80/20 ratio in favor of the base color. 
 Grey lipsticks give bubblegum pinks like MAC's Viva Glam Gaga a lilac edge. 
 Grey lipsticks will tone down strong berry shades like Maybelline's Berry Ready.
 Mixing grey into a deep red like Revlon's Red Velvet will create an interesting brickish pink color.
Combining grey lipstick with a cool medium pink shade like Mirabella's Posy will make a medium mauve tone. 

Mixing your own lip colors is a fun way to experiment with shades you wouldn't usually wear. Grey lipsticks aren't particularly common, or very easy to pull off, but they definitely have a place in your collection! I hope this post gave you some ideas! Let me know if you want to see any more posts about mixing custom colors. 


5 comments

  1. I've never seen gray lipstick, but I love the effect! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly isn't common, I can only think of a few options. Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. I've never mixed lip colors before exactly how do you do you do that and what tools or products do you need? I love the looks here and I know I could use that gray lipstick now that I've seen what it can do. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super simple, and you definitely have the tools you need already on hand! All you need are two lip products; a clean surface to mix on like a dish, old cd or palette; a brush or doefoot applicator, and, if you're using a lipstick - a tool to cut the product with (a toothpick or butter knife are good choices).

      Once you've chosen your colors, decide how much of each color you want to use. Squeeze out a bit of gloss or slice off some lipstick, and just mix them together with a toothpick or finger until you achieve your desired color and apply!

      I can write a tutorial with photos, if you'd find that more helpful!

      Delete
  3. I have heard mixing is a not good decision ;-;

    ReplyDelete