L'Oreal HydraFresh Toner Review

L'Oreal's HydraFresh Toner has a "gentle non drying formula" that "refreshes an softens skin in a splash, revealing a smoother, brighter complexion and leaving skin smooth and supple. Beta Hydroxy Acid gently sweeps away dull, tired skin while ProVitamin b5 helps protect against moisture loss. 99% alcohol free, dermatologist tested."  I feel like I've walked past this toner a million times, but I never considered trying it, nor have I ever seen another blogger mention it, so when it arrived on my door step I was pretty intrigued. This toner contains 250ml (8.5fl oz) and sells for $6-7 at the drugstore. L'Oreal is not cruelty free. This toner was made in the USA.

L'Oreal's HydraFresh Toner comes in a basic clear bottle with a white twist off cap. The L'Oreal logo and product name are printed on the front of the bottle. A label on the back of this toner's bottle offers a list of claims and a full ingredient list. Removing the cap you'll find an open pour spout. Packaging is recyclable. 

HydraFresh is a soft pink liquid, slightly more viscous than water. I got a bone to pick with L'Oreal here. The front of the bottle says alcohol free, with an asterisk. Flip the bottle over and you'll find a "99% Alcohol Free" claim. Ok, that's all well and good. maybe that one perfect is a beneficial fatty alcohol. It isn't, why would I think that? It's alcohol denat, and its THE THIRD INGREDIENT. So that means L'Oreal's HydraFresh is like, almost entirely water and glycerin. HydraFresh contains a couple vitamins and good ingredients, but they exist in such a minimal concentration that they can't possibly be effective. Needless to say, this toner doesn't do much. The water and glycerin mixture will impart a bit of moisture into the skin into the skin, but its nothing substantial. This toner is also heavily fragranced. It smells awesome, but the added fragrance is unnecessary and unhealthy for the skin.

Products like L'Oreal's HydraFresh Toner make me cross. Don't buy this. You can make your own water and glycerin concoction at home for cheap. 



Ingredients:
Water, Glycerin, Denatured Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Panthenol, Diazolidinyl Urea, PPG-26-Buteth-26, Benzophenone-4, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Potassium Phosphate, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Extract, Capryloyl Salicylic Acid, Fragrance, PEG-115M, Cabbage Rose Water, FD&C Red No. 4, D&C Red No. 33.

Disclosure:
I received this product as compensation for completing a survey in L'Oreal's Consumer Testing Panel. 

5 comments

  1. Fantastic review. I love the total honesty and for calling them out. I have a couple of bottles of toner that I never think to use unless I am doing a full out spa facial. I don't know that they really "do anything" so I don't use them on a daily basis. Actually out of the three, I have one that is just a simple bottle of witch hazel solution and is the old fashioned toner of my great grandma's day. Before chemicals and synthetically manufactured cosmetics and all the perfumes and dyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The only toner that's ever really worked from me is Olay's, every other one has been too stripping or did nothing, so I totally I feel you.

      Delete