NYX Stay Matte but Not Flat Liquid Foundation Review (Ivory)

 NYX Stay Matte but Not Flat Liquid Foundation "provides full coverage of mineral enriched matte finish. The oil free and water based formula is perfect for the studio or all day long!" NYX offers this foundation in twenty shades, my review features shade 1; Ivory. Each bottle of Stay Matte but Not Flat contains 35ml (1.18 fl oz) and sells for around $7.50. NYX is a cruelty free company. This liquid foundation was made in China.

 I'm a big fan of this foundation's packaging for a couple reasons. NYX Stay Matte but Not Flat foundation comes in a squeeze tube with a twist off cap. The NYX logo and product name are printed on the front of the tube - along with a clear list of all the foundation's most important factor - base material, coverage level, and finish. Every foundation's bottle should be this clearly labeled. A full ingredient list can be found on the back of the tube. I'm so pleased that this foundation is in a tube - its hygienic and gives great control over how much product is dispensed. Packaging is recyclable.
 NYX Stay Matte but Not Flat Liquid Foundation has definite pros and cons (like most products) but even after a month of use I'm pretty torn over it. This foundation is pretty average in consistency, it spreads out nicely, but it can be a little fussy to blend. It took me a while to find a suitable application method - I finally settled on brushing it on with a flat foundation brush then blending it with a damp sponge. Stay Matte but Not Flat looks fine at first, but after about two hours it begins to settle into pores and fine lines, while clinging to any dry patches. Otherwise, I get a full day of wear from this foundation - a full eight hours with very little break down, the awful settling is the only problem. However, this foundation does not hold up well in heat. I wore Stay Matte but Not Flat to work once and sorely regretted it, it melted off in three hours and looked terrible. NYX promises full coverage from this foundation, I'd call it more of a buildable medium (at least with my application method).
 Shade selection for NYX Stay Matte but Not Flat Liquid Foundation is good - above average for foundations in the same price range. That being said, the full range is rarely available in store. I chose the shade Ivory, which NYX describes as "porcelain with yellow undertones". This foundation is light enough for me, but the yellow tinge is too strong for me (though it's awesome for canceling out my redness). If I were to repurchase I'd pick up Creamy Natural, which is equally pale, but with a peachy undertone. This foundation has a natural matte finish.
NYX Stay Matte but Not Flat Liquid Foundation is only alright, in my opinion. Application is finicky. This liquid foundation sits on my skin in a strange and unflattering way that's not improved if I use a primer. Stay Matte but Not Flat has good lasting power for the most part, but it won't hold up if you're doing a lot of sweating. Color selection is good, but limited in store. This foundation has functional, well labeled packaging, a rarity for drugstore foundation. I don't think I'd repurchase this foundation. If you have normal to oily skin an want a medium to full coverage semi-matte foundation for cheap, you may want to check out NYX Stay Matte but Not Flat Foundation. Drier skin types and those that live in hot climates will want to pass. 


Ingredients:
Water / Aqua / Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Beeswax / Cera Alba / Cire d’Abeille, Disteardimonium Hectorite Propylene Carbonate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Glyceryl Laurate, Stearyl Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Oleate, Phenoxyethanol,Methylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben. MAY CONTAIN / PEUT CONTENIR (+/-): Titanium Dioxide ( CI 77891 ), Iron Oxides ( CI 77491, 77492, 77499 ).



Disclosure:
This product was gifted to me.

1 comment