Rimmel ScandalEyes Lycra Flex Mascara Review

 Rimmel's ever expanding ScandalEyes line now includes the new Lycra Flex Mascara. The brand says this is a "big volume mascara that won't leave your lashes stiff or brittle, so you can build drama from day to night! Lycra Technology formula makes lashes look full and voluptuous while remaining soft". This mascara is available in a washable formula, with two shades; Black and Extreme Black - I'm reviewing the latter. The ScandalEyes Lycra Flex Mascara contains 12ml (.4 fl oz) and retails for around $7. I received this mascara in a swap. This mascara formula is ophthalmologist tested and approved for contact lense wearers and those with sensitive eyes. Unfortunately, Rimmel is a subsidiary of Coty, a company with an unclear animal testing policy. This mascara was made in England.

 Rimmel's ScandalEyes Lycra Flex Mascara comes in a thick black plastic tube. Rimmel's crown logo is embossed on the top of the slanted cap. The Rimmel logo and product name are printed on the front of the tube in reflective green lettering. A product description and miscellaneous information can be found on the back. All packaging is recyclable.
 Rimmel says the "Max Density Brush covers whole lash lines with one effortless coat to reveal and plump every lash". My goodness, what a big brush! Well over an inch long and quite thick, it tapers slightly at the tip. The traditional bristles are long and evenly spaced. The brush is always loade with product and its difficult to scrape all the extra off. If you recall from past mascara reviews, I'm growing quite tired of the recent trend of making mascara brushes AS BIG AS POSSIBLE. I find very large brushes, like the one included with the ScandalEyes Lycra Flex Mascara extremely hard to use - they just aren't compatible with my eye shape and I end up with quite a lot of mistakes during application.
 I don't find Rimmel's ScandalEyes Lycra Flex Mascara to be remarkable in any way. Really, I don't think its meant to be - the whole point of it is soft lashes. I'll start off by saying the Extreme Black shade has a suitable name! Two coats of Lycra Flex results in long lashes with volume at the base and wispy tips. This mascara has a tendency to clump without careful application, so I encourage you to take your time. Its true that this mascara remains soft and flexible, making it very comfortable to wear. A big downside of the soft, malleable formula? It can't hold a curl to save it's life. I've had variable wear with this mascara, sometimes it smudges, sometimes it flakes, other times its completely fine. The formula of Rimmel's ScandalEyes Lycra Flex Mascara is very sensitive to humidity, more so than most mascaras. This definitely isn't a mascara I'll be reaching for on work days. Rimmel's Lycra Flex Mascara removes easily with makeup remover or soap and water,
[click to enlarge for a closer look]
I'm on the fence about Rimmel's ScandalEyes Lycra Flex Mascara. I like some aspects - it looks really pretty if applied slowly and its comfortable on the lashes. I wish the wear was more dependable, if it was Lycra Flex would be a great everyday mascara. If you like soft lashes, you may want to pick this mascara up. Though I'm not crazy about this mascara, its the best I've tried from Rimmel, who's mascaras are usually god awful for me. I wouldn't repurchase Rimmel's ScandalEyes Lycra Flex Mascara, but I'll continue to use it. 

Ingredients:
Water, Paraffin, Beeswax, Stearic Acid, PVP, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Arginine, Polysorbate 20, Caranuba Wax, Panthenol, Synthetic Wax, Talc, Candelilla Wax, Phenoxyethanol, Ozokerite, Caprylyl Glycol, Hectorite, Simethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Mica, Acrylates/Carbamate Copolymer, HDI/Trimethyol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Collagen, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Sodium Sulfate, Potassium Sorbate, Silica, Sodium Benzoate, 

May Contain:
Carmine, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Chromium Oxide Green, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Iron Oxides, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Ultramarine 

6 comments

  1. I'm gonna have to agree on the too big brush thing...I don't mind thick brushes (I prefer them actually) but I HATE long clubs lol I got a sample of the buxom mascara (I don't know which one) but its brush makes it unusable...fairly thick but probably 1 1/4 inch long...I cant get my inner lashes without getting my inner v area too :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the worst, isn't it? =( I miss the days off manageable brushes. How did you like the formula of the Buxom mascara though? I think I'd like to try that one day.

      Delete
    2. I thought the formula was pretty nice...it wasn't too dramatic but it was good for pretty big lashes for daytime. It didn't flake or anything :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks! =D sounds decent!

      Delete
  2. I tried a different Scandaleyes recently and I have to agree that the brush was just too big. I have short little eyelashes and the brush bristles were longer that some of them! It made application pretty difficult.

    http://mattekat.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me wonder who those brushes are designed for! Sorry you had difficulties with that brush =(

      Delete