Olay Fresh Effects BB Cream Review (Fair to Light)

 Olay says "models get airbrushed, you get real. Get a fresh and flawless complexion from five skin perfecting benefits plus SPF 15. Say bye bye to blotches and imperfections and hello to 24 hour hydration with a splash of sheer color coverage - instantly". Olay's Fresh Effects BB Cream is an "all in one solution" that will supposedly "refresh skin instantly, brighten for a radiant glow, even tone with a splash of sheer color, hydrate for 24 hours, smooth for softer feeling skin, and protect against UV damage with SPF 15." Unfortunately, the Fresh Effects BB Cream's color range is very limited, only two shades are offered; Fair to Light, and Light to Medium. I will be reviewing Fair to Light. Olay's BB Cream contains 2.5 fl oz (75ml) (more than 2x the amount of a normal foundation) and retails for around $12.99, though you may pay a little more or less depending on where you buy it. Olay's Fresh Effects BB Cream was sent to me by Influenster for testing and review purposes. Olay does not list where their products are made. Olay is a subsidiary of Proctor&Gamble, a company that continues to test on animals.

 I love the packaging for Olay's entire Fresh Effects line, BB Cream included. This product comes in a white cardboard box with a colorful designs splashed about it. The front of the box features the Olay and Fresh Effects logos, product and shade name, and a quick description. Additional product information and an explanation of what a BB Cream is can be found on the sides and back of the box. The back of the box also offers a full ingredient list, drug facts, and directions. Kudos to Olay for designing attractive and informative packaging. The BB Cream it's self comes in a white squeeze tube that features the same design and information as the box. This squeeze tube is pretty functional, its easy to control the amount of product dispensed. I'm unsure if this packaging is recyclable or not.
 Olay is pretty much my favorite skincare brand, so I was quite excited to try their Fresh Effects BB Cream. I don't have a lot of experience with BB creams or tinted moisturizers, they only other two I've tried are the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream and Tarte Amazonian Clay Illuminating BB Cream, neither of which I've found to be particularly impressive. Before I move on, let's hear Olay's explanation on what a BB Cream is an what their BB cream will do. "BB Creams, also known as beauty balms, are on of Asia's hottest beauty sensations. It's multitasking formula works to moisturize, brighten, and help protect skin from harmful UV rays. This silky tinted lotion blends effortlessly with your natural skin tone, helping hide imperfections and minimizing the need for concealer or foundation. With just one use, skin will be left glowing and naturally even." Those sound like pretty fair claims to me, let's see if Olay's Fresh Effects BB Cream lives up to them..
 Olay's Fresh Effects BB Cream is a creamy, mid weight tinted moisturizer. This product is best applied with your fingers. Application is a breeze, despite being a little bit thick, the Fresh Effects BB Cream works right into the skin. This BB Cream feels light, cooling, and fairly moisturizing on the skin, though not enough to be used in place of a separate moisturizer. This tinted moisturizer offers sheer ot light coverage. For me, Olay's BB Cream evens out my skin's tone and subdues redness, but not much else. Currently my skin is in really good shape, so this is my ideal amount of coverage, though I still use a concealer for my under eye circles. Olay's Fresh Effects BB Cream never full sets, so the finish on the skin is "luminous" side (read: greasy) and feels oily to the touch. This BB Cream is prone to problematic wear and struggles to stay put for a full day. The Fresh Effects BB Cream has a tendency to transfer and melts when worn in warm temperatures. The best wear I've ever gotten was about six hours. Luckily, its easy to slap this stuff right back on. Olay's Fresh Effects BB Cream hasn't been beneficial or detrimental to my skin in any way. This product is highly fragranced, it has an indistinct fruit scent that lingers on the skin. While it smells really good, this much fragrance in any skincare product is unnecessary.
 I was so glad that Influenster sent me the Fair to Light shade. When they informed us that we'd be receiving a BB cream in our Sunkissed Vox Box, I was worried that it wouldn't match me at all. Not the case! Fair to Lightis actually a decent match for me. It comes out of the tube as a light shade with a peachy tone. Because Olay's BB cream sheers out so much, the shade matches my skin tone to a point, but there's a slight orangey tone to it. I'm sure Fair to Light would suit a lot of people just due to it's translucent nature. To combat the orange tone of Fair to Light, I set this BB cream with ELF's Cool Tone Correcting Powder. This BB cream has the propensity to oxidize under certain conditions, but I can't warn you what those conditions are. I've only had this product oxidize on me twice, it developed a bit of a grey cast and got a fair bit darker.
Olay's Fresh Effects BB Cream in Fair to Light was only ok to me. I like it for days that I have one or two errands to do and want a little bit of makeup and SPF. This BB Cream provides minimal coverage, but that's currently all I need. The finish is a little too shiny for my taste, and it doesn't fully set, so I usually apply a powder directly after this tinted moisturizer. The Fair to Light shade is a decent match for me, but the undertone is off. Wear time is poor, lasting only a few hours before it starts to break down on my normal to combo skin. I really like this product's eye catching packaging. The price is extremely fair, considering the amount of BB Cream you get, I feel like this tube will last me quite a long time. I'm grateful to have received Olay's Fresh Effects BB Cream, and will likely finish off my tube, but I wouldn't repurchase it. I only recommend it to those with fair skin that have been wanting to try a BB Cream and haven't been able to find a light enough shade. To all else, skip this.

PS. This is not suited to oily or sensitive skin.




Ingredients:
Water, Glycerin, Niacinamide, Polyethylene, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Isopropyl Isostearate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Behnenyl Alcohol, Stearly Alcohol, Sorbitan Stearate, Benzyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Methylparaben, Isohexadecane, Fragrance, Dimethiconol, Ethylparaben, Peg-100 Stearate, Propylparaben, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Polysorbate 60, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Iodopropnyl Butylcarbamate, Myristic Acid, Camellia Sinesis Leaf Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Iron Oxides.

Active ingredients Purpose
Avobenzone 3.0%......................................................Sunscreen
Homosalate 4.0%......................................................Sunscreen
Octisalate 4.5%..........................................................Sunscreen
Octocrylene 2.6%......................................................Sunscreen



*email address must be provided to receive Influenster Invitation.
This product was sent to me by Influenster for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own. 

2 comments

  1. I have oily AND sensitive skin ;-;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;-; then this is not for you, even though you are my bb.

      Delete