Makeup Academy Shade 18 Matte Eyeshadow Review

 Makeup Academy is a wallet friendly cosmetic company from the UK. I first heard of the brand while watching one of Lauren Luke's videos. I requested a few of their eyeshadows during a swap with my friend Rae and received shades 5, 6, and the subject of this review, 18. Makeup Academy calls their single eyeshadows "super pigmented, smooth, and easy to apply, these are a must have item from Makeup Academy". Shade 18 is one of only 5 matte eyeshadows in the range. Each eyeshadow contains 2g and retails for £1 ($1.60 USD). Makeup Academy products are cruelty free and made in China. Makeup Academy's products are available for purchase through the brand's website (which ships internationally), and through Superdrug stores in the UK.

 Packaging for the Makeup Academy eyeshadows isn't too exciting. Its pretty boring and cheaply constructed. The eyeshadow is housed in a black plastic pan and covered by a clear, domed, flip up lid. The lid features the Makeup Academy logo. A label o the back offers the shade number and a full ingredient list.
 So how about I picked up this eyeshadow to review, set it down the table, and the damn thing shattered for no reason! I didn't even get to take my pictures, I am so cross! Anyways, Makeup Academy was a pretty smooth eyeshadow, and surprisingly for a cheap matte shadow, it wasn't chalky at all. Shade 18 is the most pigmented of the three Makeup Academy shadows I've used. Unfortunately, Shade 18 applies patchily, so application needs time and precision. Lucky, Shade 18 is completely fallout free. Like many mattes, Makeup Academy's Shade 18 can be a little resistant to blending, but if you work with it a little, you can achieve the look you want. When worn with a primer or base, Shade 18 creases after six hours and does not fade.
 I really like the color of shade 18, it's an entirely matte violet. I have a hard time finding use for this eyeshadow. Because its such a bright shade, it dominates any look. I felt so awkward when I was wearing Shade 18 all over the lid for testing purposes. By no means do I fear bright eyeshadow, actually I wholeheartedly embrace them, but Shade 18 is almost too much for me. Makeup Academy suggests using this eyeshadow in the crease, but even then I think it's too strong. I've taken to smudging it along the lower lash line.
I really like Makeup Academy's Shade 18, in theory. The quality is pretty decent. The texture was nice, pigmentation and wear were above average. Application could be improved upon, but lets be honest, can we really expect perfection from a $1.50 matte eyeshadow? Probably not. I just have a really hard time finding a use for this shade. Now that Shade 18 has shattered, the quality has gone down hill, its hard to get any product on the brush. I don't think I'm going to try to repress this shade, that never really works out for matte shadows, so I'm just gonna toss it. If you've been on the lookout for a pretty, vibrant matte violet eyeshadow; Makeup Academy's Shade 18 is a solid, affordable choice. 


Ingredients:
Talc, Mica, Magnesium Stearate, Paraffinium Liquidium. Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, CI 77891, CI 77491, CI 77742, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 42090, CI 19140, CI 77289, CI 42090, CI 77007, CI 15850

3 comments

  1. can it technically be cruelty free when it's made in china??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The testing regulations for cosmetics made and sold in China are different. Products made in China have no obligation or requirement to be tested on animals. Products sold in China don't have to be tested on animals by the company, but are subject to animal testing via a government.

      Delete