How To Use High Beam

 Highlighter, or Illuminator, is becoming more and more popular in the world of beauty. Just a few years ago is was essentially unheard of and now almost all of us beauty addicts use it. Highlighters are also becoming more easily accessible as well, some drugstore brands have begun to offer them (though they're usually packaged as "illuminating concealers). This post is meant to explain how to use liquid and cream highlighting products. I'm using Benefit's High Beam in this demo because its one of the most popular highlighters (and it made for a catchy title!), but this will work for any liquid or cream illuminator. There are powder highlighters as well, but they'll be covered in another post if its quested. Anyone, on to the how-to:

 [before]
Liquid and cream highlighter can be applied over or under your makeup, depending on how strong you want the effect to be. Alternatively a small amount can be mixed in to your foundation or tinted moisturizer for all over luminosity. We're going to apply it over makeup in this demo, but the the steps are the same if you apply it under foundation. 
 [initial application]
Start off by deciding where you want to highlight; obviously these are the features you want to accentuate. The most common places to highlight are the high planes of the face; the cheekbones, center of the forehead, the brow bones, and the bridge of the nose..anywhere that sticks out a little, really. For the purpose of this post, I'll be using my cheekbone. 
 [half blended]
When it comes to applying any sort of illuminating product, less is more! Too much highlighter will make you look either greasy or too glittery. For this post I used a little more to make the end result more visible in photos. Apply about five or six dots of High Beam; two small or one large one in the middle, at the highest point of your cheekbone, then two smaller dots above and below, roughly in a C shape. Here's where the real choices come in. What tool you use to blend your highlighter out is mainly a matter of personal preference. You can use a damp sponge, a concealer brush, a stippling brush, or one of the most under rated beauty tools - your own fingers. The key to blending a liquid or cream highlighter, no matter what tool you use, is to combine short strokes and a patting motion. Stroke quickly, than pat in, stroke quickly, then pat. This technique helps to meld the product with the skin or makeup underneath, and to spread and sheer it out, assuring you get the most natural finish. 
[fully blended]
I hope this post was helpful. It was kinda difficult to put my application ~method~ into words. As always, please feel free to comment, ask questions, and make requests! Let me know if you want to see a post about powder highlights. 
a little diagram showing common places to highlight



8 comments

  1. This was really helpful, I think liquid highlighter is so difficult to apply I always end up covering too much of my cheek and looking really shiny lol. I'll definitely try using a concealer brush, I usually use a stipple brush and can't get it precise enough x

    www.beautiful-solutions.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was helpful! I hope the concealer brush works out for you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I'd appreciate one on blushing and bronzing too if you don't mind <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try! I need to work on my ~technique~ first though, I'm not perfect at blush OR bronzer D:

      Delete