Covergirl Blast Flipstick - Minx - Review

 Last year Covergirl released a new member to their Blast line of products, a "2 in one lipstick in one Blast Flipstick", a double ended lipstick that will "flip your look from day to night, soft to bright. With a creamy shade on one side and a shimmer side on the other, it's two wearable, blendable lip colors in one!" I'd been interested in Covergirl's Flipsticks ever since they hit the shelves, I almost bought one on two occasions, but put it right back down and walked away after seeing the $10 price tag. I'm sure most of my readers know that I'm not the biggest fan of Covergirl, so I definitely didn't want to pay more than $7 or so for this product, no matter how cool it seemed. I was very pleased to receive a Covergirl Blast Flipstick from Free Beauty Events. I got the shade Minx, but there's a total of 13 shades to choose from. As previously mentioned, Flipsticks retail for around $10 for 3.8g. Unfortunately Covergirl continues to test on animals.
 Flipstick packaging isn't that cute, but it's functional. I can only assume that designing packaging for a dual ended lipstick isn't easy. The middle portion of the lipstick tube is grey plastic. A gradient style label wraps around the middle of the lipstick, featuring the product name and shade name and number. Each lipstick is topped by a clear plastic cap.
 I really like the concept of the Covergirl Blast Flipstick. It's cool and a little bit innovative. Hats off to Covergirl for that. These lipsticks can be used separately, or together to create a very unique, metallic, dimensional lip look. I feel like the Blast Flipstick formula is a bit of a miss. It goes on a creamy but dries as I  wear it, leaving my lips looking and feeling less than attractive. These lipsticks can be a little slick, so I recommend a lip primer or liner. Each lipstick is about half the length and a third of the width of your average Covergirl lipstick.
[Needs a lipliner. Slipped out of the lip line within minutes]
 The base shade of Minx is not my color. Covergirl calls it a cream finish, but it's nearly metallic. The color is a dark, raisin brown, almost chocolately. The brown shade has a small amount of reddish and gold flecks in it. This lipstick applies very comfortably, but slips around and right off the lips. With a liner this brown shade wears well, it stays on for two to three hours and stains my lips a bit of a burgundy hue. It's pretty unflattering on it's own, but I like the stain it leaves behind.
 The other half of Minx is pretty unique, it's gold! Like an actual, straight up gold lipstick. Not what I would expect from Covergirl. This side is sheer and pretty shimmery, bordering on metallic. Obviously gold isn't the most practical to wear on it's own, but it's great for layering. I love the way the gold side pairs with the brown one. It gives such an amazing highlight, and when entirely layered over the brown, it turns it into a pretty, shimmery copper or carmel color. On it's own, the gold side of Minx wears pretty poorly, wearing away after only 45 minutes or so.
I have mixed feelings about Covergirl's Blast Flipstick in Minx. I'm not personally a fan of the color, but I think Minx would look great on someone with medium tan to dark skin. Wear time varies between the two shades, as does the pigmentation. I feel like Minx needs to be used with both a lip liner to keep it in place, and a gloss to keep it moist. Blast Flipsticks haven't seemed to be a very popular product and I think it may be on the way to being discontinue. I still want to give Covergirl some credit for trying out a dual ended lipstick with unique, interested color combos. I wouldn't repurchase this lipstick, I don't feel like the formula or performance warrants the $10 price tag. I don't recommend Flipstick either, as cool as the concept is, unless you want to get on the ombre lip trend. I'm glad I got to try it though. 


Ingredients:
Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Isopropyl Isostearate, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, Acetylated Lanolin, Ozokerite, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla Cera) Wax, Paraffin, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetyl Lactate, Squalane, Fragrance, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Silk Powder, Maltodextrin, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Propylparaben, Retinyl Palmitate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Show Shades Also Contain:, Lauroyl Lysine, Synthetic Flurophlogopite

May Contain:
Mica, Orange 5, Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Red 27, Blue 1 Lake, Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Carmine

Ingredients courtesy of Ulta.com

This product was sent to me in exchange for promoting a contest or website.

7 comments

  1. Definitely an interesting concept, but I'm not one for brown lipstick either.

    http://beautyinthebreakdown4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pigmentation seems weak.. I like brown lipsticks but I just can't justify owning this if the pigmentation is meh. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brown shade is passably pigmented, but nothing special. I'm sure you could find a similar or better brown from CG.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Most Max Factor products are exactly the same as Covergirl's!

      Delete
  4. I have never see this lipstick before. I may have to check this out! cute blog. Can't wait for more posts.

    ReplyDelete