Urban Decay Naked2 Palette Review

 Are you sick of hearing about Urban Decay's Naked Palettes and how great they are? Yeah, me too, but just hear me out for a couple paragraphs. The Naked2 Palette is my first ever Urban Decay purchase, and the single most expensive beauty buy I've ever made. I was never really interested in the original Naked palette, but I've been craving the Naked2 ever since it launched roughly a year ago. The color scheme, which Urban Decay calls as a mixture of "taupe and greige", suits my coloring and personal preferences much more than very warm Naked palette. The Naked2 Palette contains twelve full size eyeshadows, all of which are made of Urban Decay's revamped formula, which is said to be "richer, smoother, and velvety, the revamped formula delivers insane, crease free performance". I believe each shade is available for individual performance, if you don't want to invest in the palette, but if you like more than two of the shades, this palette is totally worth the $50 price tag. This palette also includes a dual ended Good Karma brush, as well as a baby sized Lip Junkie gloss in Naked (these will be reviewed separately). Just the eyeshadows alone give this palette a value of over $200. This palette was made in the USA but assembled in the Dominican Republic. Urban Decay calls themselves a cruelty free brand, and while that is true, the brand was recently acquired by L'Oreal (who owns a huge chunk of the beauty industry as it is), who does conduct animal testing. Several of the shades in this palette are vegan friendly. I bought my palette at Ulta, but this and other Urban Decay products can be bought at Sephora and through the brand's website.
 The Naked2 Palette comes in a cushioned cardboard tray that also houses the itty bitty lip gloss. Flipping the tray over offers a description of the palette in both English and French, labeled images of each of the shades, and a full ingredient list for both the eyeshadows and the gloss. The palette it's self looks lovely, every time I catch a glimpse of it I still can't believe I own it! The palette is made of lightweight but sturdy heavy duty greige plastic. Urban Decay's logo and Naked2 are written on the palette in raised dark olive green letters. The palette opens to reveal a large, great quality mirror. Each eyeshadow is in rectangular pan is labeled. While I love how it looks, I have a couple qualms about this palette's packaging. First off, several shades are loosely glued into the palette, and both Verve and YDK fall out completely! Come on, Urban Decay, I know yinz can afford some good glue. This seems to be a common issue as well. Also, my palette doesn't like to snap shut firmly. For a $50 product from a prestige brand, I'd expect a little better quality. I travel internationally a couple times a year and would definitely be nervous about stashing my Naked2 in my luggage, despite it's seemingly sturdy outer packaging. I believe that the palette is recyclable.
 Compared to the original, cult classic Naked Palette, Naked2 is significantly cooler in tone. I appreciate the variety of colors and finishes in the palette. The range really is great, it spans from an extremely light flesh toned shade to an incredibly intense black with so many gorgeous and wearable neutrals in between. Urban Decay says that this palette features taupes and greige shades, but I don't think there is a true taupe or greige in the palette. When I initially swatched the Naked2, I was kinda disappointed. The texture of all the eyeshadows felt amazing, but only some of them looked great. I immediately regretted blowing fifty bucks on an overhyped palette with whole pans of product falling out. Then I tried it out on my eyes, and my opinion changed instantly. All of these eyeshadows are perfectly pigmented and blend beautifully. Now I'm gonna start the grueling process of describing the color and texture of each of the twelve shades. All of the swatches on both my arms and eyelids are done over Mirabella's primer. Each eyeshadow is full size and contains 1.5g (.05oz). You can click each photo to enlarge.


 Foxy is a matte cream color. This shade is vegan. I love Foxy for blending out any other shade in the palette. This shade is quite close to my skin tone, but with a yellower undertone. If you're fair, this shade looks great as an all over standalone color for a polished natural look. Foxy has a great formula, especially for a matte eyeshadow. 
 Half Baked is the only repeat from the original Naked palette. This is one of Urban Decay's trademark shades. This eyeshadow is beautiful and versatile, maybe the most striking in the palette. Half Baked is a rich, true gold that can go on very intense and metallic, or can be softly buffed on for just a touch of delicate gold shimmer. Half Baked is one of my most used shades in Naked2. I can totally understand why this eyeshadow is so popular. I love gold eyeshadows because of how flattering they are for dark brown eyes like mine, and Half Baked really makes them sparkle. This eyeshadow can cause a little bit of fallout if not patted on carefully. Half Baked is vegan. 
 Booty Call is similar to Foxy, but cooler and with a light shimmer. I use these shades almost interchangeably, but prefer Foxy for under the brow and use Booty Call most as an inner half of the lid shade. Booty Call is the only shade in the palette that isn't sold individually. 
 Chopper is so pretty in the pan, but can be a little problematic. I feel like it's a darker, more sparkly version of Half Baked. Urban Decay calls Chopper a sparkle finish copper with silver micro glitter, and that is so spot on. Just like Half Baked, Chopper can go on very shiny and gaudy, or be just a soft touch of color, depending on your application method. What makes Chopper problematic? This eyeshadow has a much chunkier texture than the rest in the palette, so a smooth, blended look can be hard to achieve. Chopper can also cause significant fall out if you aren't careful. This is the warmest shade in the palette. 
 Tease is my least favorite shade in Naked2. Tease has a matte finish and is described as a creamy, pale brown. This is the closest to a taupe in the Naked2 palette. I heard that this is excellent for ash blond's for filling in the brows, but I wouldn't know. Tease has a smooth but somehow thick texture, causing it to apply patchily and resist blending. This is a great crease shade if you're willing to work with it. Tease is vegan. 
 Snakebite is considered a dark bronze with shimmer. This is one of the shades that excites me most. Like Tease, it swatches awfully, but luckily it works much better on the eye. Snakebite is a really cool color, it's like a burnished bronze with a gold or olive reflect depending on the angle. I love using this shade to deepen the outer v and line the lower lash line. 
 Suspect is called a "pale golden beige". It's much lighter than it looks in the pan. Suspect is a wonderful all over lid color. I'm not sure why I don't use it more often. This shade is somewhere between Chopper and YDK. Suspect causes no fallout despite it's shimmery finish. 
 Pistol is the griege shade of Naked2, with a satiny finish. A lot of people got really excited about Pistol when this palette launched, bit this shade doesn't do much for me. I barely ever opt to use it. The formula is really nice though and so is the color. It just isn't my favorite color in Naked2
Verve is described as an oyster shade with a shimmery finish. I cannot get enough of Verve! I use this shade almost every time I use Naked2. This shade is pearlescent and is light silvery grey with a slight pink duochorme. It's so interesting and I can't rave enough about it. I love pairing this shade with..
 You Don't Know, more commonly known as YDK, is my other favorite shade in Naked2. Urban Decay calls this shimmery shade a cool bronze, which is just about the perfect description. YDK is even more intensely pigmented than the rest of the shades and has a beautiful metallic finish. I think YDK has a bit of a rose gold reflect to it. This shade causes zero fall out. This eyeshadow is versatile in color payoff, just like Chopper and Half Baked. 
 Busted is an interesting shade. Urban Decay calls it a shimmery deep brown, and boy is it deep. It's almost grey! I really like Busted for deepening the crease, and for lightly buffing along the upper lash line for more dimension. In the pan, Busted looks like it has a plummy tone to it, but sadly that doesn't appear on the eye or in the swatch. 
Blackout, the final shade Urban Decay's Naked2 Palette, is a wonderful, rich, intense, super dark black. It's been slightly infected with shimmer from the other shades, but has maintained it's matte integrity for the most part. Blackout makes an excellent eyeliner, which is perfect for me, I love using bck shadow as line. This shade can be a little hard to blend though. What really makes Blackout so great is that it doesn't cause the horrific fallout so many black eyeshadows can. 
The shades in Urban Decay's Naked2 Palette work so well together. There is the perfect amount of variety in color and texture. The proportion of shimmers to mattes could be a little better, but I heard that Urban Decay's mattes are high or miss, and that seems true in this palette. As a whole, the quality of this palette is phenomenal, there's only one flop, and it's still workable. All of the shades wear well. I've worn each of the twelve colors over a variety of primers and bases, and I've only had a couple incidences of creasing, most of which were probably caused by the primers or environmental factors, not product flaws. I've used Naked2 almost every single day since I bought it. I don't think I've ever fallen quite so hard for one single product before. Looking back on it, I feel so silly for talking myself out of buying this palette so many times and I can't thank everyone who encouraged me to buy it enough! The Naked2 palette is 100% worth all the hype and is totally worth the $50 I paid for it. I would repurchase this palette without question and wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who is interested in this excellent palette. 


Ingredients:
BOOTY CALL/FOXY/PISTOL: Talc, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Zinc Stearate, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, PTFE.

HALF BAKED/SNAKE BIT/YDK: Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Talc, Zinc Stearate, PTFE, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid.

CHOPPER: Talc, Polyethylene Terephthalate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Zinc Stearate, PTFE, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Sobric Acid, Acrylates Copolymer, Tin Oxide.

SUSPECT: Talc, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Zinc Stearate, PTFE, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Tin Oxide.

TEASE: Talc, Zinc Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, PTFE.

BUSTED/VERVE: Talc, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, PTFE, Zinc Stearate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer.

BLACK OUT: Zinc Stearate, Talc, Silica, EthyhexylPalmitate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Boron Nitride, Sorbic Acid.

ALL SHADES MAY CONTAIN: 
CI 77019 (Mica), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491/77492/77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77000 (Aluminum Powder), CI 75470 (Carmine), CI 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide), CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride).



16 comments

  1. Great review. It took me ages to fall for the hype with this too, I only got it in November/December time. I'm in love with it too! I love how many different looks you can create with it. Definitely one of my go to palettes now! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine around the same time. This is my new all time favorite palette, glad you love it too!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for putting each shadow on your lid! This was a great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you appreciate the lid swatches, it was really an intense process! My eyes were pretty irritated afterwards.

      Delete
  3. I'm in love with this palette as well! :) Great review and photos! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been holding out buying this for awhile but I think Im going to have to just spend the money on it. I know a few people who have purchased a z-pallette and just dismantled the whole thing completely. Seems to work well for them, especially with travelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd feel bad de-potting the shadows because the palette is so attractive :(. I hope you like it if you get it, I think you will!

      Delete
  5. Great review! I have been eyeing this for a while but the glitter/shimmer stops me. I'm older and find shadows can cause a crepey look if they're not matte or if the formula is too dry or too powdery (cheap drug store brands). Is this moisturizing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This palette can be a hazard in luggages. My aunt bought one for me from the US. When I opened the outer packaging, I knew it was doomed. The blackout eyeshadow completely shattered and got black powder all over EVERYTHING, the other shadows, the brush, the mirror, even onto the tiny lip gloss attached on the side. It was a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you XD
    I like foxy on my brow bone, but not booty call.
    However, I use both of them everyday.
    Can't leave home without them :)


    http://owleryowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete