Coastal Scents Hot Pot Eyeshadow Review (Frosty Taupe, Raisin Berry, Vanilla Sky, Vibrant Red)

 Coastal Scents Hot Pot Eyeshadows are pan form eyeshadows meant to be popped into custom palettes. Coastal Scents offers 377 shades, I have four; Frosty Taupe, Raisin Berry, Vanilla Sky, and Vibrant Red. I received a very tiny mini quad in an Ipsy bag. These are my first Coastal Scents products, I was very excited to try them, I've heard almost nothing but good things about them. Coastal Scents doesn't make many claims about their eyeshadows, all they say is that they're highly pigmented. Each Hot Pot eyeshadow contains 1.3g (.04 oz) and retails for a very affordable $1.99. Each of my mini shadows is about a fifth of the size of a full size pan, but that's actually pretty generous for an eyeshadow sample. I mean think about it, unless you only have a handful of eyeshadows, you probably don't finish them off quickly. Coastal Scents eyeshadows are made in China (yes I know that they're mass produced and rebranded). Coastal Scents is cruelty free and only buys from cruelty free suppliers.
 This little sample quad is so cute, it's American Girl sized. I've never seen such tiny eyeshadows! But lets not talk about this quad's packaging, because it's not something you can buy. Each Coastal Scents Hot Pot comes in a 1" pan, about the same size as a MAC eyeshadow, for reference. The pans are magnetized, though Coastal Scents warns that these will not magnetize into MAC palettes. Why? I do not know. Physicist boyfriend says that doesn't make sense. Maybe MAC uses some special alloys or something. #Science. If you don't already have a magnetized palette, Coastal Scents offers four palette sizes, all of which are also reasonably priced.
As a whole these eyeshadows are fantastically pigmented and very easy to work with. The blendability is perfect. The quality is so much better than I would've thought. Three of the four shades are shimmer or frost finish and have a somewhat chunky texture which can result in a moderate amount of fallout, so remember to tap off your brush! The matte formula is a tiny bit dry but still usable. So the formula's aren't perfectly spot on, but I don't demand perfection from my products, just functionality. All four shades wear very well, no creasing or fading, they're actually kinda stubborn to remove, especially Raisin Berry which tends to stain my lids! 
Vibrant Red is a "siren red" with a matte finish. Vibrant Red looks like a true red in the pan, but it doesn't quite translate onto the skin that way, it has more of a pinky tone to it. Vibrant Red gets redder with additional layers. The matte finish makes this shade a little drier and resistant to blending, but by no means is it difficult to use. A good quality red eyeshadow can be hard to find, so Vibrant Red is a true gem!
 Frosty Taupe doesn't really need an explanation does it? Coastal Scents calls it a "deep, iridescent taupe hue with a shimmery finish. Oh man, Frosty Taupe is so soft, almost to a fault. This is the chunkiest shade in the quad, it's very easy to pick up too much. This is a really versatile shadow, as taupes tend to be. It looks fantastic as a wash of color all over the lid, carefully blended all the way to the brow. My real problem isn't so much with the product as it is with the description. I don't know how Coastal Scents can call Frosty Taupe "deep", it's one of the lightest taupes in my collection.
 Vanilla Sky is a "soft, silky cream hue with a satin finish". No, Coastal Scents, it is not. It looks satiny in a swatch, but on the lid Vanilla Sky looks quite frosty, probably the frostiest in the palette. It's so easy to go overboard with this color. I feel like I need to put a lot of effort into making this shade look good. Intensely frosty cream/white shades are not flattering, at least not on me Like Frosty Taupe, Vanilla Sky is almost too soft and kinda chunky. This is my least favorite of the four.
 Raisin Berry is a "stunning maroon with a shimmery finish". Raisin Berry really is beautiful! It's rich and multifaceted, but not really duo-chromatic. I don't think I have any shades similar to it. I would call Raisin Berry more of a burgundy as opposed to a maroon because it has a purplish tone to it. However, Raisin Berry can flash a brownish tone depending on the placement on the eye and the angle its viewed from. This is my favorite shade in the quad.
All up, I'm very pleased with Coastal Scents' Hot Pots eyeshadows. The quality really is great. The colors I have a pretty unique and I reach for these sample sized shadows on a regular basis! Coastal Scents offers such a huge range of colors and textures for a very fair price. If you're ever looking to make a custom eyeshadow palette, turn to Coastal Scents. If you want to recreate this exact quad, it'll run you only $12 (including the palette), way cheaper than a MAC quad. If I wasn't already swimming in eyeshadows I would certainly buy more of Coastal Scents Hot Pot eyeshadows. Maybe in the future I will. 

Ingredients:
Talc, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Mineral Oil, Magnesium Stearate, Methylparaben. 

May Contain: 
Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Chromium Oxide Greens, FD&C Red No.40 Al Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.

9 comments

  1. I believe I am the aforementioned physicist boyfriend in the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish they sold the mini sizes! As much as I love their colors, I can't justify the the cost/addition of the palettes even with the discount/cheapness/etc. of their products. The mini sized would be perfect for size and would be justifiable to my insane collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! If they sold these I would totally buy them. Finally eyeshadows I have a realistic chance of finishing. I think I heard they these are sometimes included as gifts with purchase.

      Delete
    2. I believe they're 88 color palettes are the little dime sized colors? That's just too many colors for me! I would gladly pay about $7 for these mini babies .

      Delete
    3. Yeah, these are the same formula of eyeshadows. I used to really really want their 88 palettes, but I have so many other singles, trios, quads, palettes etc that I could never ever justify it. D: The value is fabulous though.

      Delete
  3. So pretty. I really need to invest in the 252 palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That palette tempts me like no other!

      Delete