NYX Black Eyeshadow Review

 Let me tell you a story before we get down to business. Once upon a time, many 2 years ago, I bought my first NYX Eyeshadow in the shade "Black." It was love at first swatch, this eyeshadow was so black, so intensely pigmented, with a smooth texture and minimal fallout. This eyeshadow quickly became my go to eyeliner for my upper lash line. Over a year or so, I used it on a daily basis, and finished roughly 60% of the eyeshadow before it randomly shattered for no reason. I went right out and repurchased it and...I can't believe the difference. On to the review..


 NYX's Black Eyeshadow is one of over 160 shades in the Eyeshadow Singles line. NYX claims that their eyeshadows are "richly pigmented, easy to blend, and last many hours." NYX is a very proud cruelty free brand, but be aware that not all of their products are vegan. I bought my 2.5g single shadow at Ulta for $4.50. NYX products can be found at a variety of retailers ranging from the brand's website, to Ulta, to Hot Topic, to Cherry Culture. If you're lucky, you might even find some NYX products are your local drugstore. NYX products are made in China.
 I almost always rave about NYX's packaging. Their Eyeshadow Single Packaging is particularly great. A small, black, plastic, square compact with a clear window on the top, allowing you to the see the color within. The NYX logo can be found on the transparent window. There is a label affixed to the back of the compact, offering the shade name and number, company info, and a full ingredient list. This eyeshadow's packaging is recyclable. Like I said, I really like NYX's packaging, its always cute, sleek, and functional. Plus, they're sturdy too, I've had a NYX Eyeshadow survive a 5ft fall, unscathed!
 [Left: No Primer, Right: Over Benefit Stay Don't Stray Primer]
This new NYX Black Eyeshadow is barely even comparable to the old one. This eyeshadow is pretty loosely pressed, a problem that is visible just from looking at it in the pan. This eyeshadow lacks the smooth texture I've come to expect from NYX singles. NYX's Black is quite powdery, resulting in a significant amount of fallout and a ton of residual powder in the pan. Its easy to pick up way too much product on your brush, be sure to tap it off multiple times before using it on the eye. Don't let your loaded brush fool you into thinking that NYX's Black Eyeshadow is pigmented, unfortunately it is not. My old pan of NYX Black was pure, intense, matte black. This new one is more of a sheer, charcoal color with some dark shimmery flecks. 
 Is this just one of those eyeshadows that swatches poorly but performs well on the eyelid? In a way. This eyeshadow is nice if you want to add just a little bit of depth to a look with a "soft black" shade. It blends nicely at first, but its very easy to overblend it, diluting the color and making your whole eye look muddy. Unlike it's predecessor,  this black eyeshadow doesn't make a very good eyeliner at all. NYX's Black Eyeshadow does not crease on me, but it does fade significantly throughout the day.
[I dumped the kicked up powder out of the pan to show you how bad it is]
I'm so, so disappointed by my new NYX Black Eyeshadow. Did they reformulate? Did I get get a bad pan? I don't know, but I'm not happy. NYX's Black Eyeshadow used to be one of my all time most used and loved products, it was the best black eyeshadow I had ever used, I raved about it and recommended it to everyone. Now its been reduced to a powdery, poorly pigmented dark grey. WHY NYX? I can only how that this Black came from a bad batch, even so I'll be hesitant to buy more NYX Singles in the future.

See all my NYX Eyeshadow Singles Reviews here. 

Ingredients:
Mica, Talc, Zinc Stearate, Methyl Methacrylate Cross Polymer, Mineral Oil, 2-Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Tridecyl Trimelitate, BHT, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Black Iron Oxides, Carbon Black, Ultramarine, Red Iron Oxide 

6 comments

  1. Great review! I've been wanting to try more NYX products but they're not widely available in my area. Lots of companies do reformulate their products to save on costs so that could definitely be a reason why this one wasn't as good as the one you used to love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally encourage you to try any NYX products you can get your hands on, they're an overall great brand. I'm not sure if they reformulated or not. I compared the ingredients on this one to other, older ones that I have and they're the same, thought they could've just tweaked things a little. Sometimes with cheaper brands there's a lot of variance from one batch to another. Idk, I just hope this isn't the new normal for NYX. :(

      Delete
  2. Possibly you received a bad pan. I wouldn't think NYX would re-formulate their black when it is definitely one of their best colors.

    Boston Princess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello hun, nice blog.
    Would you like to follow each other?
    Let me know what you think.
    toothfairygardy.blogspot.gr
    xx

    ReplyDelete