Benefit Bad Gal Lash Review

Benefit claims that their Bad Gal Lash mascara is a "sexy, sultry, pure unadulterated black mascara for full, voluminous lashes. It's as BAD as you want to it to be".  Pretty simple claims, that's how I like them. I got this mascara in the Ulta exclusive "Sexy Six" kit. The six piece kit retailed for $24, meaning I paid about $4 for this mini mascara. The full 8.5g (.3oz) tube of Bad Gal Lash retails for a moderately priced $19. The mini 4g (.14oz) tube is about an $8 value. This mascara was made in France. Benefit does not test on animals. Benefit products can be bought on the brand's website, Ulta, Sephora (and their sites) and department stores with Benefit counters.  Bad Gal Lash is available in black, plum, brown, and a waterproof version. I have the classic, non-waterproof black. 

 I really like the look of Bad Gal Lash's packaging. The black tube feature the word "lash" written in pink, vertical cursive with Bad Gal and the Benefit logo in white lettering. A small amount of company info can be found on the back of the tube. The tube is topped off with a silver metallic cap. The full size of this mascara has pretty much exactly the same packaging. I like the tube, its simple but stylized, without being intricately designed like many of Benefit's product's packaging.
 This mini mascara has a full size brush, its pretty big, about an inch and a half long. Benefit says that the "famously big bodacious brush coats lashes with Bad Gal's super black formula" The brush comes to a taper point that needs to be wiped off on the edge of the tube. This brush is made of traditional bristles that are average in length, evenly spaced and fairly dense. Despite being very large, Bad Gal's brush is surprisingly maneuverable. I can get this brush right down at the base of my lashes and sweet it right on through. The shape of the brush actually suits my eye shape, which is great. If you're an almond shaped eye girl like me, you'll probably dig Bad Gal Lash just for the brush alone.
 The formula of Bad Gal Lash is a little on the drier side which is ok for full lashes like mine. Benefit promises volume and fullness from this mascara. Is that what I get? Yes, at the base of the lashes, but it also separates towards the tips. I get a really great amount of length as well. Bad Gal doesn't give me super long lashes, just the right about of length, its proportionate with the volume and thickness it delivers. I get a small amount of clumping sometimes, but it's not enough for me to complain about, it's very minimal. Bad Gal Lash doesn't smudge or smear but I get a tiny bit of flaking, mainly from the bottom lashes and my fluttery outer corner lashes. That's pretty annoying but it doesn't ruin my makeup or anything, but I'd rather this not happen, especially from a fairly pricey mascara. Benefit's Bad Gal Lash is a little stubborn when it comes to removal, you definitely need a strong cleanser or oil based makeup remover. Bad Gal Lash does not irritate my eyelashes, which tend to get itchy especially when I wear a mascara with a drier formula like this one.
Benefit's Bad Gal Lash isn't perfect, but I like it. I like the overall effect it gives, the amount of length and thickness this mascara gives is very balanced; its a fairly dramatic mascara but the results aren't over the top. I like the look of the packaging and I find the brush very effective for my eye shape and lash type. I wish I didn't get any flaking, but it's not so bad that I can't wear it. Would I pay $19 for a full size tube of Bad Gal Lash? Maybe, if I had extra money, but at the time I'd rather buy several drugstore mascaras instead of one pricey one. Yinz know how I love trying new mascaras. If you have a bigger beauty budget than I do, Benefit's Bad Gal Lash might be up your alley. Not sure if you want to invest twenty bucks on just one mascara? Benefit offers several value kits that include mini versions of this Bad Gal.

Ingredients:
WATER (AQUA), BEESWAX (CERA ALBA), CETEARYL ALCOHOL, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, POLYBUTENE, C18-36 ACID TRIGLYCERIDE, GLYCERYL STEARATE, COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX, PANTHENOL, SILICA, CETETH-10 PHOSPHATE, DICETYL PHOSPHATE, PEG-100 STEARATE, PVP, AMINOMETHYL PROPANEDIOL, XANTHAN GUM, METHYLPARABEN, CHLORPHENESIN, PROPYLENE GLYCOL DICAPRYLATE/DICAPRATE, BUTYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, ISOBUTYLPARABEN, SERICIN, GOSSYPIUM (COTTON) SEED OIL, CETRARIA ISLANDICA EXTRACT, SORBIC ACID, BHT, DEHYDROACETIC ACID, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE. MAY CONTAIN +/- : IRON OXIDES (CI 77491- CI77492- CI 77499), MICA, ULTRAMARINES (CI 77007), TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), CARMINE (CI 75470), CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN (CI 77289), CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS (CI 77288). N° 02521/N

2 comments

  1. I liked it overall, but thought there were many better options. I'm one of the lucky ones with long lashes, but have short lashes on the inner corners. I actually like the large brush overall, but found that it was hard to reach short lashes (like my corners). I don't think I'd ever purchase a full size, but I don't mind getting the sample sizes in sets, GWPs, and boxes.

    ReplyDelete