Benefit Stay Don't Stray Eye Primer Review

 Benefit's Stay Don't Stray is a dual action eye primer that works "360º around the eyes to make concealers and eyeshadows stay put. Concealers don't crease, eyeshadows stay vibrant and true..you'll wonder how you ever lived without it". This all over eye primer comes in a "neutral nude shade that is universally flattering". The formula contains good stuff like Vitamins C&E t combat signs of aging and sodium hyaluronate to hydrate and fill fine lines. I got a very tiny  2.5ml (.08 fl oz) sample in the Ulta-Mate Sexy Six kit. The full sized 10ml (.33 fl oz) retails for a very pricey $26. That's a pretty big price tag for an eyeshadow primer, even by high end standards. For reference, Too Faced Shadow Insurance sells for $18, Urban Decay's Primer Potion goes for $20, and Nars Smudge Proof is $24. Talk about over priced. This was actually the product I was least excited to try out of the six included in the value pack, just because I'm already pleased with the two eyeshadow primers I have. Benefit does not test on animals and offers a lot of information on their animal testing policy on their website. This eyeshadow primer was made in Canada. Benefit products can be bought online at the brand's website, in Sephora and Ulta and their respective websites, and at department store cosmetic counters.
 This little sample is so cute. It's like American Girl sized, barely two inches tall! The beige plastic tube has the word "Stay" printed all over it. I actually didn't notice that until I was really examining the product for review, I'd previously thought it was just a weird splotchy print. Oops. On the front of this tiny tube is the name of the product and the Benefit logo, in black. Some directions and company info can be found on the back of the tube in English and Spanish. Twisting off the little black cap reveals a small doe foot applicator, no different from that one that's included with most eye primers. The full size of Stay Don't Stray has entirely different packaging. For one it has an "airless pump that's sooo easy to use". I don't think the additional o's were necessary, Benefit. It's just a pump, settle down. The full size also has a little diagram on the front showing where to apply Stay Don't Stay. Meh, I'm find with the doe foot applicator, eye primers don't need to have cute packaging in my opinion.
 Stay Don't Stay is a light, neutral beige primer. It blends out effortlessly, resulting in an opaque but nearly colorless finish. There is enough coverage to cancel out any veins you may have on your eyelid, but it's not enough to work as an under eye concealer, just as a primer for one. I don't think this primer actually fills under eye fine lines, not that I really have any. Benefit suggests applying six dots of this product, three on the eyelid, three on the under eye, and really that's exactly how much product you need.
 [unblended, blended]
I honestly can't give very much insight on how this product works as a primer for under eye concealing. I never have issues with the wear of my concealer in that area. Benefit's primer doesn't harm or enhance my concealers wear or application. Stay Don't Stray is a decent eyeshadow primer if you have drier lids. It causes shadows to go on smoothly and best of all it really enhances the color of any eyeshadow applied over it. Unfortunately Stay Don't Stray doesn't really prevent creasing. Technically Benefit doesn't claim that it will, but as and eyeshadow primer, it should. Without a primer, eyeshadow tends to crease on me after roughly 4 hours, with Stay Don't Stray I get about six creaseless hours. Oh, one bonus? That extra color intensity lasts all day, there's little to no fading when I use this primer.
[no primer, Stay Don't Stray]
Sorry Benefit, I think I'm going to stick to ELF's Eyelid Primer and save myself $25. I don't think Benefit's concealer/eyeshadow primer is effective enough to justify the very high price tag. Even Nars' primer is cheaper, which is kinda ridiculous. I love the way it intensifies the color of shadows, but it isn't very effective at preventing creasing as I need it to be. I also don't require it's concealer priming. Packaging is cute, mainly because it's so itsy bitsy. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this little primer sample or swap it away. I'll likely finish it off. Its not a bad primer, it's just not that great either. I don't recommend Benefit's Stay Don't Stray primer, there are much more affordable, better quality eye primers on the market from drugstore and high end brands. 

Ingredients:
WATER (AQUA), ISODODECANE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), BUTYLENE GLYCOL, BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE (CI 77163), ISONONYL ISONONANOATE, HDI/TRIMETHYLOL HEXYLLACTONE CROSSPOLYMER, SILICA, POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE, TALC, CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE, HEXYL LAURATE, SODIUM CHLORIDE, MICA, TRIBEHENIN, PEG-30 DIPOLYHYDROXYSTEARATE, IRON OXIDES (CI 77492), SORBITAN OLEATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, DIMETHICONE, DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, IRON OXIDES (CI 77491), METHICONE, PROPYLENE CARBONATE, IRON OXIDES (CI 77499), TETRAHEXYLDECYL ASCORBATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, SILICA DIMETHYL SILYLATE, ISOPROPYL TITANIUM TRIISOSTEARATE, HEXYLENE GLYCOL, SODIUM HYALURONATE. N° 04940/N

7 comments

  1. This stuff makes my eyes sting and creases like a mo fo. :( I do like it as a concealer primer though. :) If I have a particularly dark spot or bright red pimple I just apply this before the primer and it disappears like magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. Sucks it doesn't work as a primer for you though. D:

      Delete
  2. It's sample size is adorable! But I am totes not spending monies on getting that. :o

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think that you should be putting eye primer under your eye anyway D:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why Benefit? Why are you so damn expensive?!

    Gah. It breaks my heart...... and my wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! to bad it creases, would never work on my oily eyelids.

    http://www.malikagodt.com

    ReplyDelete