Revlon Revlon Red Nail Enamel Review

 Revlon's Revlon Red Nail Enamel is one of the most classic nail colors of all times. They've been making this shade for decades. Personally I've gone through four or five bottles of this polish over the last eight or so years. I purchased my .5fl oz bottle at Rite Aid for $4.99. Revlon products are not tested on animals and are made in the USA. Revlon's nail enamel formula is formaldehyde and toluene free.
Revlon's nail enamel bottle is just as iconic as the color of this polish. The glass bottle is round and gets wider towards the bottom. A full ingredient list and some product and company info are written on the back in gold. The name and number (680) of the polish are on a sticker onto of the cap. The cap is made of black plastic and has a gold band at the bottom featuring the Revlon logo. The cap is always firmly attached to the top of the brush. Quality and style ftw. The brush is Revlon standard, long, thin, flat, flexible but never splayed. I can't really say much more about it.
 Revlon describes their nail enamel formula as "smooth and chip resistant", which I normally agree with. Their polishes always seem to have just the right consistency, never too thick or thin, and Revlon Red is no exception. It applies nicely in very smooth, even coats. Revlon suggests two coats, but honestly you could get by with just one. It applies very nicely in smooth, even coats. One coat is just about opaque, the second one isn't needed, but adds a nice, finished look with some added opacity. No matter how many coats of this polish you apply, it seems like a smooth, perfect finish is guaranteed...at least when the bottle is new. This particular polish gets thick and goopy fast, which is why I've had so many bottles over the years.
 Revlon Red is such a classic, retro, neutral red. The kind every girl should have. It's suitable for most skin tones, and nail lengths, on fingers or toes, year round. A color this classic just seems so effortless to pull off, it goes with just about anything. I can't really go too much into details when it comes to the color of Revlon Red, it's pretty much a basic, neutral, cherry red with a fairly flat cream finish. If you're looking for a glossy red, add a top coat or look elsewhere.
 [two coats, still wet]
Sadly I've never had much luck with Revlon Red when it comes to wear. It chips off horribly within hours, irreparably bad by the next day. The worst part of it is that the chipping isn't caused by anything. I'm not even being hard on my hands at all lately. Simple tasks like opening a bottle of water, typing, and other seemingly harmless actions cause Revlon Red to chip off dramatically in large pieces. The polish that's left over is stubborn to remove and stains my nails harshly, they always seem a little damaged after wearing this polish. A base coat and probably a nail treatment are a total must. 
[WHAT DID I DO?]
If wear is so poor, and the staining is so bad, why do I keep repurchasing Revlon Red? The color. I can't say no to this color. It's just such a timeless and wearable red. I've come to realise that I can't keep wasting money on polish that wears poorly and gets too thick to use so quickly, just because it's a great shade. So I've decided to start a quest to find a better quality dupe for Revlon Red. Til then, I'll still wear it from time to time when the mood strikes. I recommend Revlon Red if you want a beautiful, nostalgic red polish, but only if you have a really good base coat.

See my other Revlon Nail Enamel Review Here 

Ingredients:
Ethyl Acetate, Butylacetate, Microcellulose, Tribenzoin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Polyethylene Terephalate, Propyl Acetate, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, Calcium Alluminum Borosilicate, Synthetic Fluorphologopite, Stearakonium Bentonite, PPG 2  Dimethicone, Silk Powder, Dimethicone, Triacetin, Stearakonium Hectorite,Benzophenone, Allumina, Tetrabutyl Phenyl Hydroxybenzoate, Polyeurathane, Silica, Citric Acid, Malic Acid
May Contain:
Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Red 6, Red 7, Red 34, Yellow 5, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Aluminum Powder, Bismuth Oxychloride, Carmine, Black 2, Red 30, Ultramarines, Blue 1, Yellow 10

4 comments

  1. It's all that intense gta playing you do

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this colour! But I have it in the top speed fast drying one :) It stained my nails sooooo bad even if I had a base coat one! It also chipped, but I do agree the colour is so lovely! That's why I keep wearing it :P

    http://luckybeauty07.blogspot.com.au/

    Sophie xx

    ReplyDelete