Sample Say So: Rodan+Fields Enhancements Micro-Dermabrasion Paste Review





I was kindly gifted a large sample packet of Rodan+Fields Micro-Dermabrasion Paste by an independent sales rep and gathered enough thoughts on it that I felt like resurrecting my "Sample Say So" series, in which I give a thorough mini review of mini products. Rodan+Fields describes their Micro-Dermabrasion Paste as a "high-glide, oil-free formula designed to help promote maximum gentle exfoliation and leave your skin feeling more smooth. Use occasionally to visibly improve skin tone and texture." Part of the brands Enhancements range, this microdermabrasion scrub contains 125ml (4.2oz) and retails for $80USD. Rodan+Fields is cruelty free and makes their product in America.

The full size of Rodan+Fields' Micro-Dermabrasion Paste comes in a chunky little tub that exposes the product to all sorts of contaminates. Though it's thick, this scrub could easily be housed in a squeeze tube, or even some sort of individual packet system - a gimmick that Rodan+Fields isn't afraid to employ with other products.

Rodan+Fields' Micro-Dermabrasion Paste is a thick yellow paste with large exfoliating granules. The brand advises you to apply this product on to clean, dry skin (damp skin if you're sensitive), and massage it in for between 30 to 60 seconds before rinsing. I have to say, this product is interesting. As you work Rodan+Fields' Micro-Dermabrasion Paste into the skin, it's base melts into a spreadable, oily consistency, revealing sizable abrasive salt crystals that scrub and polish the skin. The salt takes at least half a minute to begin breaking down, making this scrub quite harsh - there's nothing "micro" about this dermabrasion. Let's be upfront about that. I've used this sample packet in three different skincare sessions, and each time it's left my skin feeling very soft and smooth. The brand claims that over time, this product will improve skin's tone and texture, but after three uses I don't see any such results. Each time I used this exfoliating paste, I was careful to follow up with a gentle routine afterwards; McArthur Skincare's Foaming Facial Cleanser, The Ordinary's 10% Niacinamide/1% Zinc Serum, and Sukin's Sensitive Skin Moisturizer. This product made no difference in cleansing, but it seemed to sensitize my skin to my serum a little - there was a slight sting I don't usually experience. Like most forms of exfoliation, this scrub helped both my serum and moisturizer apply more evenly and absorb quicker. I haven't experienced any irritation or redness after using Rodan+Fields' Micro-Dermabrasion Paste, but my skin is quite tough - if you have sensitive skin you definitely want to steer clear of such a strong physical exfoliant.

For an $80 face scrub, Rodan+Fields' Micro-Dermabrasion Paste has a pretty uninspiring ingredient list. The base of this product is isoparaffin, which is essentially thicker mineral oil with a fancier name. Suspended in that isoparaffin is regular old sodium chloride - aka table salt. Following salt, you'll find some texturizers, sugar for additional exfoliation, and more texture enhancers. Fragrance makes an appearance at the end of the ingredient list, in a very small concentration. In the packet, this product has a chemically lemon scent, but on the skin it smells more like hot salt - it's difficult to explain, and far from pleasant.

As with everything I've tried from Rodan+Fields', there's nothing wrong with their Enhancements Micro-Dermabrasion Paste, it's just massively overpriced for what it is. I love a good salt scrub for my skin, and I've enjoyed using this product, but I can get better results from Lush's Ocean Salt, for a better price (not to mention better business ethics, but I won't get into the politics of MLM beauty brands right now). If you want to support a friend that peddles Rodan+Fields products, their Micro-Dermabrasion Paste is a decent pick, but otherwise, there are more affordable dupes. Would I buy the full size? Nah.


Ingredients:
C11-13 Isoparaffin, Sodium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Sucrose, Sodium Bicarbonate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bisabolol, Trihydroxystearin, Silica, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Linalool, Lyral, d-Limonene, Fragrance, Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Yellow 6 (CI 15985).

Disclosure:
This product was sent to me for review by an independent Rodan+Fields Representative. My opinions are not influenced by Rodan+Fields, Rodan+Fields Representatives, or any other third party.

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...