New Hair Care Update




Back in October I gleefully announced that I'd finally settled into a low maintenance hair care routine that really worked well for me! After years of searching and sampling, I'd finally found my (almost) perfect combination of products that kept my problematic hair in check. Then life threw me a curve ball at the very end of the year and things got a little crazy. I moved from Sydney's familiar climate to bone dry Adelaide and the combination of heat, aridity, and the stress of a cross country relocation took an immediate toll on my already difficult-to-manage hair. My hair became even more prone to tangling and quite fragile and I started experiencing breakage and shedding like never before! While I hadn't noticed any thinning on my scalp, my ever present ponytail is had become much thinner. I started to panic a little, and when Priceline offered half off on all hair care, I scrambled to find products that might combat my new hair concerns. After a little more than a month of use, I'm ready to share my thoughts on four of the products I picked up. Click through to read more.
●●●●●●●●●●
About My Hair:
I have long, thick, type 1C auburn hair that's dyed with henna to achieve a brighter red color. My roots lack volume and can get fairly oily, especially in my fringe, which has a tendency to separate. The lengths of my hair is normal, but it tends to tangle and get matted, even with diligent brushing. I'm not prone to breakage or split ends, but I do have a fair bit of hair fall. I allow my hair to air dry and never heat style - in fact its almost always in a ponytail, bun, or braid.
●●●●●●●●●●

L'Oreal Elvive Arginine Resist 3x Hair Fall Shampoo + Conditioner
$5.95/250ml Each
I love and trust L'Oeal's Elvive range affordable of shampoos and conditioners. I decided to make a change from my all time favorite Extraordinary Oil duo and try out the Arginine Resist line instead. Arginine, a protein supporting amino acid, is meant to strengthen and nourish each individual hair, preventing breakage and excess shedding. While that sounds fantastic, I can't say that either the shampoo or conditioner have kept me from losing anymore hair (they haven't made the problem worse, either - that's very important to mention!). The shampoo leaves my hair feeling a bit dry and lifeless, and the conditioner, while rich in texture, doesn't do much to counterbalance it's partner. I'm definitely switching back to Extraordinary Oil when I finish these products off.

Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Shine Oil
$4.99/18ml
I've finally encountered the first Hask product that I don't love. I've tried and enjoyed several sample sachets of Hask's Keratin Protein Smoothing Shampoo+Conditioner, and their Macadamia Revitalizing Shine Oil* is a product I frequently repurchase, so I figured the Keratin Protein Smoothing Shine Oil would be a hit for me. Sadly, that hasn't be the case. Hask's Keratin infused oil is lighter and drier in consistency, and while it penetrates my hair quickly, it doesn't seem to add any moisture or shine to my locks. When it comes to preventing tangles or strengthening my hair, I don't think this oil does much at all. I'm not giving up on Hask though, I'm hoping to try another oil when this one runs out.

Klorane Leave in Spray with Flax Fibre
$19.99/125ml
In addition to being dry, weak, and even more prone to tangling than usual, my hair has been flat as a pancake the last few months. When my trusty Nexxus Humectress Luxe Leave In* ran out back in March, I decided to search for something that could add moisture and volume. The search led me to my first ever Klorane hair product, the Leave in Spray with Flax Fibre, and after a month of occasional use, I'm still a little puzzled by this styling product. This leave in spray has a slightly sticky consistency that lifts the roots to help create the perfect bouncy ponytail, but by the end of the day that volume gives way, leaving behind hair that manages to be both slick and dry. How? I need to keep testing Klorane's Leave in Spray with Flax Fibre, it's the only way to find out.

●●●●●●●●●●
None of these products helped my hair, and as a whole, I'm pretty disappointed. Fortunately, after returning to Sydney (and therefore stressing much less and eating much better), my hair has started to make a recovery. It still tangles too easily, and probably always will, but my hair fall has reduced significantly. I'll be swapping my tried and true products back into my routine, but as always, the quest to find my actual ideal hair care line up continues.


Disclosure:
Products marked with an asterisk (*) were sent to me as press samples. Their inclusion in this post was not influenced by any third parties. 

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...