Lush Love and Light Hand Cream Review


When it comes to Lush, I'm only really interested in two products - Caca Rouge Henna and bubble bars - everything else in the store has always felt frivolous, overpriced, and gimmicky. Their lotions and hand creams never really registered on my radar, but I think that may have changed! Recently, my sister in law gifted me a small tub of Lush's Love and Light Hand Cream and it changed my view on Lush body care. Lush says "This softening neroli and Fair Trade organic cocoa butter cream will make light work of moisturising your hands, so keep it within reach when dryness strikes. Brazilian orange, orange blossom and neroli will brighten up your skin (and your mood) in an instant. Fragrant and divinely softening, this lotion is a Midsummer Night's Dream for sore hands." A tub of Love and Light will run you $19.50AUD ($19.95USD/£8.95GBP) for 100g (3.4oz) of product. Lush is cruelty free and most of their products, including Love and Light Hand Cream are vegan. This hand cream was made in Australia.

Love and Light comes in your standard black Lush pot with a twist on lid. The product name and a brief description are printed on a label affixed to the top of the pot, with a full ingredient list available on the bottom. Nothing fancy, yet functional and aesthetically pleasing, there isn't a lot to say about Lush packaging as a whole. As I'm sure most of you know, Lush offers an in-store recycling program that allows you to bring back five empty black pots in exchange for a Fresh Face Mask of your choosing. If a Lush store isn't available to you, their packaging can also be recycled by your local municipality.

It took only one use for me to fall for Love and Light. This hand cream has a slightly thick, pudding-like consistency that spreads over the skin beautifully and sinks in quickly, providing instant, long lasting hydration without a greasy residue. What surprised me most about Love and Light is how exceptionally softening it is! This hand cream leaves my hands looking and feeling smoother and softer than anything I can ever recall using. These impressive results aren't short lived either! I apply Love and Light once before heading to bed, and that single application keeps my often abused and overworked hands happy throughout a whole day of cooking and cleaning. Of course, as with any hand cream, Love and Light can be used elsewhere on the body - I especially like it on my dry feet and elbows to really seal in moisture and reduce dry patches.
Love and Light has a very strong, earthy neroli fragrance with subtle hints of floral orange notes. The scent just screams "Lush!". This is definitely a love it or hate it scent - initially I was quite put off by the almost pungent nature of this hand cream, but I've warmed up to the smell of Love and Light more with every use. Even if you find the slightly dirty citrus fragrance off putting, it doesn't linger, so you won't have to put up with it for long. 

A glance at Love and Light's ingredient list seems quite uninteresting - this hand cream is made up of a blend of very common ingredients! Water starts off the list, and is followed by moisturizing jojoba oil, cocoa butter, and glycerin. Stearic acid and triethanolamine stabilize the formula, while a blend of orange oils, fragrance, and essential oils scent this product. Two forms of parabens are included to preserve this hand cream, so if you're the type that avoids synthetic preservatives you may want to avoid Love and Light (and most of Lush's other lotions).

I like Lush's Love and Light Hand Cream so much more than I expected to! Am I total Lush convert? Not yet, I still find a lot of their formulas a little questionable, but I'm certainly more open to trying more of Lush's body care products. While Love and Light may seem a little pricey at $20 a pot, I feel like the value is reasonable, considering you get a fair bit of product. I'd happily repurchase this hand cream, it's the best I've tried in a long time! Next time you stop into a Lush shop, you should consider sampling this softening hand cream, your paws will thank you.


Ingredients:
Water, Jojoba Oil, Cocoa Butter, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Neroli Oil, Brazilian Orange Oil, Orange Flower Absolute, Cetearyl Alcohol, Citral, Farnesol, Geraniol, Limonene, Perfume, Methylparaben, Propylparaben


Disclosure:
This product was gifted to me. Receiving a product as a gift does not influence my review. 

No comments