Proactiv Complexion Perfecting Hydrator Review




Proactiv Complexion Perfecting Hydrator Review
Proactiv's Complexion Perfecting Hydrator is a "dual therapy product" that "combines blemish fighting salicylic acid and rich botanicals with anti-aging benefits such as even skin tone, smooth texture, smaller appearing pores, increased hydration and a dewy, radiant glow." This acne fighting moisturizer contains 89ml (3 fl oz) and retails for $50 ($60 AUD) individually, or it can be bought as part of the Proactiv+ 3 Step Kit ($95AUD for a 3 month supply). Proactiv does not test on animals. This moisturizer was made in the United States.

I'm a little confused by the Complexion Perfecting Hydrator's packaging - it seems to vary country to country, or retailer to retailer. I have a little tub of product in front of me, but Ulta's website and a few other online retailers show this moisturizer coming in a (much more hygienic) squeeze tube. They both contain the same amount of product and whatnot. While the jar style packaging is attractive, it exposes the product to air and bacteria that breakdown the active ingredients. I'd love to see Proactiv completely repackage the Complexion Perfecting Hydrator into a squeeze tube, or perhaps a bottle with a pump. This moisturizer's packaging doesn't seem to be recyclable.  

Proactiv's Complexion Perfecting Hydrator is a thin gel cream moisturizer that glides over the skin, sinking in almost immediately. This moisturizer feels light and cooling on the skin right after application, but despite some of it's impressive ingredients, it doesn't impart much moisture at all and occasionally leaves my skin feeling quite dry. The Complexion Perfecting Hydrator was adequately moisturizing over the summer, but now that the weather is starting to cool down, I can tell I need a thicker, richer product to really hydrate my skin. Not only did Proactiv's Complexion Perfecting Hydrator fail to hydrate my skin, it also failed to make any positive impact on my skin at all. After using up the entire tub over the course of three months, I saw no positive changes to my skin - it actually looked worse. My complexion seemed duller, and definitely appeared less firm and resilient - qualities I shouldn't be seeing at the ripe old age of 24. Once I switched over to another moisturizer, my skin went back to it's usual youthful self. This moisturizer is lightly fragranced with an inoffensive, non specific scent. 

Though I had pretty poor results while using Proactiv's Complexion Perfecting Hydrator, a quick scan of the ingredient list shows me the brand had some good intentions. This gel cream moisturizer has simple base of water, thickeners, and silicones, souped up with soothing ingredients and humectants like glycerin, hyaluronic acid, and allantoin. The Complexion Perfecting Hydrator also offers an abundance of beneficial plant derived ingredients like brightening licoice root and mulberry extracts. A healthy dose of acne fighting salicylic acid and deeply moisturizing squalene make appearances on the ingredient list as well. I mean, aside from a marginal amount of fragrance (>1%), Proactiv's Complexion Perfecting Hydrator had a lot going for it - something about it just didn't quite work. Perhaps the jar style packaging led to deterioration of the ingredients, leading to poor efficacy - or maybe Proactiv just needs to tweak the formula little to help all those awesome ingredients meet their full potential.

Proactiv's Complexion Perfecting Hydrator is, in my opinion, only for those with oily skin that's not overly acne prone. This lightweight moisturizer doesn't offer enough hydration for combo to dry skin, and though it's mainly free of sensitizing ingredients, it does have a few components (mainly silicones) that could cause further congestion and new breakouts. 

I wasn't a fan of Proactiv's Complexion Perfecting Hydrator. While I did like the texture of this gel cream moisturizer, and I can certainly see potential in it's ingredients, I felt like overall it was kinda detrimental for my skin. I blew through the 89ml jar, and by the end of it my skin looked worse for wear - I don't think that's part of Proactiv's famous 60 day money back guarantee. I won't be repurchasing the Complexion Perfecting Hydrator, nor do I recommend it - there are many more affordable, acne friendly moisturizers on the market. 



Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Butylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Sodium Polyacrylate, Glycerin, Allantoin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Alpha-Glucan Oligosaccharide, Morus Alba Root Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Arctostaphylos Uva Ursi Leaf Extract, Safflower Oil/Palm Oil Aminopropanediol Esters, Sophora Angustifolia Root Extract, Kojic Acid, Zinc Gluconate, Salicylic acid, Squalane, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Ceteareth-20, Polysorbate 60, Polyquaternium-11, Hydroxypropyl Cyclodextrin, Hydrogenated Polydecene, PPG-5-Laureth-5, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Bisabolol, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), *Butylphenyl Methylpropional

Disclosure:
This product was sent to me for review by Proactiv. My opinions are not influenced by Proactiv, Blue Planet PR, or any other third party.

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...