Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick Review+Swatches

Maybelline describes their Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipsticks as "a new collection of matte lipsticks in deep pinks, reds and plums. The creamy formula delivers a burst of bold colour and a surge of creamy texture for a saturated matte look." These lipsticks were released a while ago in the US, but they were only recently launched here in Australia. Though an abundant selection of 20 shades are available elsewhere, only 8 are sold in Aus. Today I'm reviewing three shades, Lust for Blush, Daringly Nude, and Craving Coral, which I won in one of Maybelline Australia's Snapchat giveaways. Each Creamy Matte Lipstick contains 4.2g and retails for $7.99 ($17.99AUD) at just about every drugstore. Unfortunately, Maybelline is not cruelty free. These lipsticks were made in the USA.

The Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipsticks have simple but attractive packaging. These lipsticks come in shiny silver tubes with frosted dusky mauve caps. The lipstick bullet twists up and down in the usual fashion, there isn't much more to say. The shade name and number are indicated on the base of the tube on color coordinated labels. Packaging doesn't seem to be recyclable.
Sometimes I feel like the only blogger that didn't fully embrace the current matte lip craze. I don't have a problem with matte lips, I just don't adore them the way everyone else seems to. While I can't say that Maybelline's Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipsticks have converted me to a matte lip lover, I do quite like these lipsticks! This product's name is very applicable, all three lipsticks are both creamy AND matte, applying with ease. Unlike many matte lip products, Maybelline's Creamy Mattes feel lightweight and only slightly dry on the lips. Wear time varies shade to shade, which I'll touch on in the individual reviews.
Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick
My only real complaint about the Color Sensational Creamy Mattes is the scent! These lipsticks have a strange smell, like a sweet clay? Perfumed playdough? I'm not sure but it's quite potent straight out of the tube, and it can be tasted on the lips as well, at least for a few minutes after application. I wish Maybelline would either remove fragrance from these lipsticks entirely, or change it to something far more palatable.
Maybelline Daringly Nude Swatch
Daringly Nude (655) is easily my favorite of the three shades, because it's that perfect ginger-friendly nude tone. This is a light, peach tinged nude with a satin matte finish. Though completely opposite in finish, the shade is very similar to Too Faced's Naughty Nude La Creme Lipstick. Daringly Nude goes on almost opaque in one swipe, but my natural lip color pulls through just enough to influence the color a little. I don't get great wear from this lipstick, it transfers off easily, and generally lasts no longer than two hours on me. That doesn't stop me from reaching for it quite regularly!
Maybelline Lush for Blush Swatch
Lust for Blush (665) is a cool, lilac toned pink lipstick with a powdery matte finish. The flat matte finish causes Lust for Blush to cling to dryness and and settle into lip lines. This shade goes on fully opaque in one layer. Lust for Blush is such a hyped up shade, everyone seems to love it and I wanted to love it too (and I do, in theory), but it's a little too cool toned for me and just looks slightly off on me. I get decent wear from Lush for Blush, it resists transfer and lasts around three hours.
Maybelline Craving Coral Swatch
Craving Coral (685) is a bright orange-y red coral with a soft matte finish. The texture of this lipstick is slightly drier than the two other shades I have, and it's a little more difficult to apply as well. Craving Coral has a slight drag to it, and it requires two passes to reach full, even coverage. Like so many reds, Craving Coral has a tendency to bleed out of the lip line, but it doesn't transfer easily, and generally lasts 4-5 hours on me, with a slight residual stain. I don't often wear Craving Coral on the lips, but I do like it a lot as a blush!
As a whole, I like Maybelline's lip products, and their Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipsticks are no exception. These affordable matte lipsticks offer good pigmentation in a generally non-drying formula (though it certainly won't moisturize your lips!). If, like me, you aren't very interested by ultra matte liquid lip colors, but are a little curious about matte lipsticks, Maybelline's Color Sensational Creamy Mattes are a great way to play around with the trend without breaking the bank. I'd love to pick up Divine Wine and Touch of Spice, and I highly recommend trying whatever shades call to you! 



Ingredients:
Isononyl Isononanoate, Octyldodecanol, Oleyl Erucate, Silica, Cera Alba / Beeswax / Cire Dabeille, Phenyl Trimethicone, Cera Microcristallina / Microcrystalline Wax / Cire Microcristalline, Synthetic Wax, Sesamum Indicum Oil/Sesame Seed Oil, PEG-45 / Dodecyl Glycol Copolymer, Kaolin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Alumina, Benzyl Alcohol, Mel / Honey / Miel, Parfum / Fragrance, (May Contain: Mica, CI 77891 / Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491, CI 77499 / Iron Oxides, CI 15850 / Red 7, CI 45410 / Red 28 Lake, CI 45380 / Red 22 Lake, CI 15985 / Yellow 6 Lake, CI 42090 / Blue 1 Lake).

Disclosure:
I won these lipsticks in Maybelline Australia's snapchat giveaway. My opinions are not influenced by Maybelline, Snapchat, or any other third parties. 

6 comments

  1. I have Lust For Blush, and love the shade! And you're right, they have a very strange scent. It's like they tried to make it vanilla scented, but failed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet Lust for Blush looks fantastic on you! Do you get the clay aspect of the scent as well?

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh--"perfumed playdough"--that's hilarious and horrible at the same time. I like the Daringly Nude; may have to check it out for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would look nice on you. The scent isn't absolutely terrible, but it's strong and could be much better.

      Delete