Banana Boat SPF 30+ Sport Sunscreen Review




Banana Boat SPF 30+ Sport Sunscreen Review
Banana Boat says their SPF 30+ Sport Sunscreen "gives you the protection you need for your outdoor, sporting lifestyle. It provides you with broad spectrum protection from the sun's harmful UVA and UVB rays and is water resistant for up to 4 hours." This sport sunscreen is available in two sizes - a 40g tube that sells for $4.49AUD, and a 200g tube that'll run about $16.99 - I was lucky to score the latter for just $7 on sale! Unfortunately, Banana Boat is not a cruelty free company. This product was made in Australia. 

Banana Boat's SPF 30+ Sport Sunscreen comes in an eye catching bright orange squeeze tube with a twist on blue cap. The packaging is quite functional for a number of reasons - it's easy to dispense the exact amount of product you want, the cap is textured for easy gripping (even when your hands are covered in sunscreen), and it doesn't leak. Now that I've paid this packaging it's compliments, it's time to tell you about one of my biggest qualms with product packaging - poor labeling. The Banana Boat logo and product name are printed on the front of the tube, with directions and a description printed on the back. That's all well enough, but where are the ingredients? Not on the tube, that's for damn sure. Banana Boat lists the active ingredients (which they're legally obligated to), and the preservatives present in this sunscreen's formula, but everything in between is entirely absent. You and I both know that there's more than active ingredients and phenoxyethanol in a sunscreen - but Banana Boat would rather not tell us what else. Annoying, and slightly suss in my opinion. This sunscreen's packaging is not recyclable. 

My complains didn't end in the prior paragraph so hold on - I hope you're ready for more. Every claim on this sunscreen's tube is a damn lie - it's not waterproof, and it definitely isn't non-greasy. Banana Boat's SPF 30 Sport Sunscreen is a white, slightly thicker than average lotion that spreads across the skin smoothly. As soon as you start working this sunscreen in you'll notice that it's the opposite of non-greasy - it's an oily mess! I feel like I would fry up real nice and crispy if you tossed me in a pan after applying this sunscreen. The heavy, cloying, oily feel does reduce over time, but Banana Boat's Sport Sunscreen remains greasy and moist to the touch for the duration of it's wear. So we've established the grease factor, but let's talk about how it's also the opposite of waterproof. Even when given a proper amount of time to set (20 min), I can see Banana Boat's sunscreen radiating off me in the pool - floating away from me and causing a gross, oily film on the surface of the water. Also worth mentioning is the strong, standard sunscreen scent - something I don't mind, but many, including Deano, do. 

In spite of all of my complaints, Banana Boat's SPF 30+ Sport Sunscreen somehow manages to provide decent sun protection! Throughout visits to the pool, the beach, and long walks in the harsh Australian summer sun; Dean, Morgan, and I haven't had any sunburns while wearing this sunscreen. While the worst of summer is still ahead of us, I do think I can trust Banana Boat's Sport Sunscreen to save my pale skin. Are yinz ready to hear something equally surprising? Despite it's greasy consistency I can use this sunscreen on my face without breaking out! Now, I certainly wouldn't recommend it for days you're wearing makeup - anything applied over Banana Boat's Sport Sunscreen will slide right off, but it's a good pick for beach or pool trips. This sunscreen does produce a white cast and can cause flash back in photos, so I don't recommend it if you're expecting to be photographed. 

Now right about here is where I usually analyze the ingredients, but due to the lack of ingredient list, both online and on the packaging, I can't really do that. I can, however, tell you that Banana Boat's SPF 30+ Sport Sunscreen contains Octyl Methoxycinnamate (7%), 4 Methylbenzylidene Camphor (1%), and micronized zinc oxide (6%) as it's active ingredients. While Octyl Methoxycinnamate and zinc oxide are well known and trusted sun block ingredients, Methylbenzylidene Camphor is a controversial ingredient banned in the US, EU, and Japan due to potential endocrine disruption. Dean also found out the hard way that Methylbenzylidene Camphor is a known dermatitis trigger. I'm going to have to read up on this subject, and I encourage you to form your own opinion as well before using products containing this potentially irritating ingredient. When it comes to preservatives, Banana Boat's Sport Sunscreen contains the standard phenoxyethanol as well as diazolidinylurea and hydroxybenozates (parabens in disguise). Kinda makes you wonder what else Banana Boat is hiding in the ingredients...

Banana Boat's SPF 30+ Sport Sunscreen is far from the worst sunscreen that I've tried, but it doesn't come close to touching my favorites like Neutrogena Ultra Sheer  and Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch. Between the greasy feel and questionable ingredients, I'm going to finish this tube, but pass on the repurchase. I'd never been particularly intrigued by the Banana Boat brand, and only picked their Sport Sunscreen up due to a sale - I think I'd rather pay full price for a superior product. 

Ingredients:
(Active)
Octyl Methoxycinnamate (7%), 4 Methylbenzylidene Camphor (1%), Micronized Zinc Oxide (6%) 

(Preservatives)
Phenoxyethanol, Diazolidinylurea, Hydroxybenozates


Leave a Comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...