Proactiv Revitalizing Toner Review




Proactiv Revitalizing Toner Review
Proactiv isn't really a brand I've ever considered buying from - nothing about the brand has ever appealed to me. However, I found myself in a bind - I needed a replacement for my beloved Pixi Glow Tonic and it needed to be from the drugstore - a criterion that nothing on My Toner Wishlist met! After scouring Priceline's website, searching through every toner available - I settled on the only product that came close to meeting my standards - Proactiv's Revitalizing Toner. According to Proactiv, this is a "gentle alcohol free toner with glycolic acid that helps to unclog pores and promote an even skin tone." The Revitalizing Toner contains 120ml (4 fl oz) and sells for $20 ($32AUD). Proactiv is cruelty free. This product was made in the USA.

Proactiv's Revitalizing Toner comes in a aqua tinted cylindrical bottle with a white flip top cap with a pour spout. The brand logo and product name are printed on the front of the bottle, with an ingredient list and directions offered on the back. Further instructions and more detailed product information are available on the coordinating box. This toner's packaging is simple and efficient, if not a little clinical in appearance. All packaging is recyclable.

Proactiv's Revitalizing Toner features a 5% glycolic acid exfoliant suspended in a water and propylene base. I'm not sure of this toner's exact pH level, but multiple sources indicate that it's within the correct range for acid exfoliation to occur. Witch Hazel, a potential irritant, but effective astringent makes an appearance high on the ingredient list, followed by several botanical extracts to combat it's stripping nature. Chamomile, rose hip, and aloe attempt to counteract the glycolic/witch hazel blend, while panthenol (vitamin b5) and allantoin nourish the skin. The remainder of this toner is made up of preservatives (including parabens) and colorants. It's important to note that Proactiv's acid toner contains fragrance, though it's way at the end of the ingredient list. 

The Revitalizing Toner is a watery, pale blue liquid that's meant to be poured on to a cotton pad (Proactiv recommends "10-15 drops" per application, I tend to give it a generous squirt) and swiped across the face and neck twice a day, after cleansing and before moisturizing. Though my skin is quite accustomed to acid exfoliation, I do experience a slight tingle and occasional mild sting when using Proactiv's Revitalizing Toner, but the fizzly feeling quickly dies down. As the Revitalizing Toner evaporates away, I can't help but notice how tight my skin feels! This toner zaps my skin of moisture, leaving my face feeling desperate for oil, moisturizer - anything! Despite being alcohol free, this is the most drying toner I've ever used! The drying effects aren't worthwhile either! After nearly 4 months of consistent use, I haven't seen any improvement in my skin - in fact I've been breaking out more than usual! This acid toner isn't doing much to fade the residual acne marks, even out my skin's texture, or brighten the skin. Really I can't say it's done much of anything for me. 

Who do I think Proactiv's Revilatizing Toner is best suited for? Probably just those with very oily skin. Sensitive, dry, and even normal skin types will find this acid toner too stripping and should opt for a more balanced, gentler option like Pixi Glow Tonic or Nip+Fab's Glycolic Fix Pads

I'm disappointed by Proactiv's Revitalizing Toner! On paper (or Priceline's website), it seemed like it was going to be a near perfect fit. I can't find any problems within the ingredient list either, just something about this toner doesn't agree with my skin. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and shell out $48 for a bottle of Glow Tonic at Sephora. While I personally won't repurchase Proactiv's Revitalizing Toner, I won't say it's a bad product, just not for me. If you have oily skin and are looking for a mid-range, alcohol free acid toner, this could be a good option for you. 


Ingredients:
Water (Aqua), Glycolic Acid, Polysorbate 20, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, Sodium PCA, Glycerin, Panthenol, Allantoin, Benzophenone-4, PropyleneGlycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Benzoic Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Yellow 5 (CI 19140).


Leave a Comment

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...