Spring Sunscreen Menu

Spring has definitely sprung here in Sydney, and that means its time to step up my sunscreen game! Just about every day has been warm, sunny, and breezy - just beautiful. Spring is my favorite time of year here, the little lizards scurrying around and the bright purple jacaranda trees delight me on a daily basis - they totally make up for how often I've been viciously swooped by broody magpies! More dangerous than even the angriest magpie is the sun...

The sun in Australia can be absolutely brutal! Somehow, it seems lower in the sky, and it just beats down on you! Unfortunately, the beautiful, sunny weather has a downside - Australia has one of the highest skin cancer rates in the world - up to 66% of the population will be diagnosed with some form of skin cancer in their lives! That shockingly high statistic could be whittled down with more education on the importance of SPF and sun safety, but unfortunately many people still hold on to the outdated view that sunblock is a product intended solely for beach trips. If I can educate even one person on the benefits of daily sun protection, I'll feel like my blog and I have done a bit of good in this world.

Click through to see the sunscreens I'm currently using.

I spent most of my life living in polluted, cloudy Pittsburgh, PA - the city with the least sun in the entire United States. For many years, I too fell victim to the "special occasion" mentality when it came to sun protection - I slathered it when I went to Kennywood or a family friends' pool, but otherwise I rarely touched it, aside from my trust Olay Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15. Since the sun is so much more intense in my new home, I've upped the amount of SPF I use on a day to day basis. Gone are the days of SPF 15 moisturizers! With skin as pale and prone to burning as mine, factor 30 is my new base minimum. 


The Body Sunscreen
$14.99/85ml
I fell in love with Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen earlier this year! The somewhat thick, lotion-like formula has a silky, matte finish that makes application absolutely fuss free. Ultra Sheer's SPF 50 formula offers broad spectrum defense and is water resistant for around 4 hours so it's perfect for the beach or pool. I can't say much more about it, its an excellent basic sunscreen for the body! I personally don't like using it on the face, where I find it to be too heavy and comedogenic, but Dean uses it without a problem. Be sure to patch test!


The Facial Sunscreen
Olay Complete Defence Daily Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30
$14.99/75ml
Olay has been my trusted brand for facial SPF and moisturizers for over a decade, so when I decided that their Complete Daily Moisturizer wasn't cutting it, I looked within their range to find an alternative with more sun protection. After some research and rummaging, I ended up with the Complete Defence Daily Moisturizing Lotion, which offers broad spectrum SPF 30 protection in a light, yet moisturizing lotion. On top of protecting and hydrating this skin, the Complete Defence Daily Moisturizer also makes a great base for makeup - my foundations go on so smoothly, I rarely reach for primer now!


The Tinted Sunscreen
$42/50ml
Exuviance's Sheer Daily Protector has been one of my most loved products this year because it's just so multi-functional. This mineral sunscreen has a unique fluid consistency and a universal tint that provides just a hint of coverage. The Sheer Daily Protector has been the product I reach for on days when I feel like I need an extra layer of sun protection, or for days that I can't be fussed with a proper foundation but still want to look put together. Don't let the medium, greyish tone of this tinted sunscreen fool you, it adjusts to nearly every skin tone and is just about undetectable. Wear is spectacular as well, it seems pretty much sweat proof - perfect for the increasingly warm weather. 


The Travel Sunscreen:
Coola Sport Fresh Mango Moisturizing Sunscreen SPF 50
$32/148ml
It's inevitable that Dean will forget to apply sunscreen, or I'll decide that I need an extra coat, so I keep mini tubes in my bag at all times. The current choice, from Coola's Sport line offers SPF 50 protection in a rich yet light weight lotion. This non greasy sunscreen is water and sweat resistant for approximately 80 minutes, making it appropriate for just about any situation, ranging from a walk to the grocery store or a hike up a mountain. Coola's Sport Moisturizing Sunscreen lives up to it's name, hydrating the skin without feeling heavy, and providing a dewy, fresh finish without a white cast. The mango scent, which is fairy strong but very pleasant is worth pointing out - if you hate the smell of traditional sunscreen, you'll probably love it, but if you're trying to avoid fragranced skincare this isn't your best choice.  


Share your sunscreens of choice in the comments!



Disclosure:
Products marked with an asterisk (*) were sent to me as press samples. Their inclusion was not influenced by any third parties. 

No comments