Formula X Ignite Nail Color Review+Swatches

Formula X Ignite Nail polish
I fell in love with Sephora's Formula X polishes last summer, and I was thrilled to receive another shade, Ignite, in my September Ipsy Bag. Formula X describes their formula as "enriched with ShineXcel™—a luminescent ingredient that enhances color and overall shine, each polish’s patented No Compromise formulation offers long-lasting, incredibly-saturated color with a stunning finish." Ignite was meant to be limited edition, but it seems like it was added to the permanent collection; regardless its still available on Sephora's website. Even if Ignite isn't your style, you'll almost definitely find a shade you like in Formula X's extensive range - there are over 100 permanent and limited edition shades to choose from. Sephora's Formula X polishes contain 12ml (.4 oz) and sell for $10.50. Formula X products are cruelty free and made in the USA. 

Formula X's mini polishes are so cute, they come in stubby little bottles with easy to hold white caps. I'm much less charmed by the narrow, rounded brush though, I feel like it's quite small even for my baby-sized nail beds and causes a streaky finish. Cute as the mini packaging may be, I much prefer the look of Formula X's full size bottles, which are chunky and rectangular - something about them looks posh, yet still simple and user friendly - plus I assume the brush is at least a little larger. Packaging for these polishes is not recyclable. 
Ignite's thin formula applies in a streaky and surprisingly sheer manner that certainly isn't helped by the skinny little brush, which seems to drag the polish on to the nail, as opposed to helping it glide on in a smooth, even stroke. Generally, I'd expect a deep, vampy shade like Ignite to be opaque in just one or two coats, but it actually takes three layers to reach complete opacity. Luckily, this lacquer dries fairly quickly in between coats, and is dry to the touch in less than ten minutes. Previous experience lead me to expect long wear from Ignite, but I was very disappointed by how quickly chipping sets in. I'm the kind of person who can't keep nail polish on, I'm very lucky to make any manicure last even three days, but Ignite's wear was short even by my standards. This rich red lacquer begins to chip the same day I apply it, and is unwearable by the next day. Fortunately, removal is fuss free with no staining. 

Sephora lists Ignite as a"smoking red", which is a bit non-specific (and their online swatch is terribly inaccurate!). I would describe this shade as a rich, cool toned, red wine color with a glossy cream finish. I love deep reds like this, they go with almost everything! Ignite is a great staple shade for fall and winter - its pretty much universally flattering, and looks equally great on fingers and toes. 
Formula X Ignite Nail Color Swatch
Formula X's Ignite is a classy, beautiful deep red trapped in a streaky, chip-prone formula. I wanted Ignite to be my go-to winter nail polish, but it's short life span on the nail made it pretty undesirable. I was quite disappointed by this nail polish, and wouldn't repurchase or recommend it. 





Ingredients:
ethyl acetate, butyl acetate, nitrocellulose, propyl acetate, tosylamide/formaldehyde resin, isopropyl alcohol, triphenyl phosphate, trimethyl pentanyl diisobutyrate, stearalkonium bentonite, camphor, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, stearalkonium hectorite, diacetone alcohol, citric acid, benzophenone-1, dimethicone may contain/peut contenir (+/-): guanine (ci 75170), bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77499), ferric ammonium ferrocyanide (ci 77510), yellow 5 lake (ci 19140), red 6 lake (ci 15850), red 7 lake (ci 15850), red 30 lake (ci 73360), red 34 lake (ci 15880), aluminum powder (ci 77000), blue 1 lake (ci 42090), yellow 11 (ci 47000)

Disclosure:
This post contains affiliated links/referral codes.

1 comment