First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream Review




FAB Ultra Repair Cream
First Aid Beauty's cult classic Ultra Repair Cream is a "thick, rich, emollient product that hydrates deep down with exceptional penetration. With the help of colloidal oatmeal, shea butter, soothing eucalyptus oil and ceramides, FAB Ultra Repair® Cream provides immediate relief and visible improvement for distressed skin. FAB Antioxidant Booster is there to defend skin from free radical damage. Ultra Repair® Cream can be used all over the body and on the face." First Aid Beauty offers their wildly popular moisturizer in four sizes - 1 oz ($6.50), 2 oz ($12), 6 oz ($30), and 12 oz ($42). I received a 1 oz tube in an Ipsy Bag. FAB products can be purchased at Sephora, Ulta, and the brand's website. First Aid Beauty does not test on animals. This moisturizer was made in America.

Ultra Repair Cream has two different packaging formats. The smaller size comes in a convenient and sanitary squeeze tube that offers a few claims, directions, and an ingredient list. Great. However, the larger sizes come in messy and easily contaminated plastic tubs. Less great. While I can't speak for the larger, jar style packaging, the squeeze tubes don't seem to be recyclable.

FAB's Ultra Repair Cream is a thick, white cream that thins out and spreads surprisingly well over the skin - though I like to add a spot of Borghese Hydrology ReIlluminate Oil to thin it out and make it even easier to apply while adding an extra shot of hydration (not that it needs help in that department!). This richly textured moisurizer absorbs faster than you'd expect, and doesn't leave my skin greasy or sticky at all. On its own, or mixed with a bit of facial oil, the Ultra Repair Cream is very moisturizing without being heavy or greasy on the skin. As promised, this cream is excellent for addressing dry patches, immediately introducing much needed moisture and smoothing over flakiness, at least temporarily. Likewise, First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Cream can also provide short-term relief for eczema, and soothe the skin after using a peel (thanks for the tip, Carly) - a great multitasking product. After a couple months of on and off use, I haven't noticed any negatives effects or breakouts caused by Ultra Repair Cream. Though I've seen a few bloggers mention a minty scent, I haven't found the FAB Ultra Repair Cream, which is fragrance free, to have any discernible scent to it.

While I just sang the praises of this moisturizer's texture and ability to address multiple skin issues, I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed by Ultra Repair Cream's ingredient list, which is shockingly basic. First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Cream is mostly a mix of water, glycerin, and common thickening agents. This moisturizing cream does contain a lot  of excellent ingredients, but they're all listed after phenoxyethanol, meaning they're present in an extremely small (>1%) concentration, rendering them mostly ineffective. Among these beneficial ingredients are moisturizing shea butter and squalane, soothing collodial oatmeal, allantoin, feverfew extract, green tea, nourishing niacinamide, and licorice root to brighten. The only problematic ingredient I can see is eucalyptus extract, which is an irritant, but due to it's minimal concentration, it probably won't bother too many people. As I mentioned, the Ultra Repair Cream is fragrance free, and also formulated without parabens. It's also very important to mention that the ingredient list will appear different on the packaging than it does on various retailers' websites. This is because First Aid Beauty considers colloidal oatmeal an active ingredient (it isn't), so its sometimes at the front of the list, and in the middle other times - no matter where you see it, there's still a .5% concentration.

Who is First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Cream for? Mainly those with dry to normal skin without many demands. Ultra Repair Cream isn't my daily moisturizer, it doesn't cater to my combo skin, but it is a product that I reach for when my skin is suffering, be it from winter induced dryness, or when my eczema has a mild flare up. Oily or easily congested skin will want to steer clear of this heavy moisturizer, at least on the face, where it may overwhelm the skin with moisture.

While I like First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Cream, I'm also disappointed by it. I feel quite silly for blindly believing that this product would have an amazing ingredient list, and I'm saddened by it's bland formulation. I feel like I'm going to have a hard time being enthused by First Aid Beauty in the future. All that aside, the Ultra Repair Cream is as moisturizing as everyone says it is, its gentle and generally non-problematic, and it'll soothe patches of mild eczema or dry skin. Do I recommend First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Cream? Eh, I think it can't hurt to pick up a small tube - you never know when your elbows will become bone dry, but I don't think it's the must have product it's so often cracked up to be.




Ingredients:
Water, Stearic Acid, Glycerin, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Cetearyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Squalane, Allantoin, Colloidal Oatmeal,  Sodium Hydroxide, Dimethicone, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Butylene Glycol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Extract, Ceramide 3

Disclosure:
This post contains affiliated links/referral codes. 

Leave a Comment

  1. Great post!I didn't realize that there was so little of those awesome ingredients in this product! It really makes me wonder what the price tag is for. I wonder if there's a drugstore dupe. I use it on my face when its super dry and sensitive since it doesn't irritate my skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The price tag is for branding and packaging mostly - and to fund FAB's better formulated products. There probably is a more affordable option out there, though I can't think of one off the top of my head - if you find one, do let me know! Thanks for reading and commenting =D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...