Ahava Time to Clear Purifying Mud Mask Review

Ahava says their Time to Clear Purifying Mud Mask is a "unique blend of purifying Dead Sea mud, minerals, and natural extracts. This mask deeply cleans and detoxifies pores for a fresh, even complexion." This mud mask contains 3.4 oz  (100ml) and retails for $33. I received a generous .9oz sample as a gift with purchase from Ulta. Ahava is not cruelty free, and apparently has stirred up quite a controversy in recent years, due to their location and business practices in Israel and West Bank. I was entirely unaware of this before I started my review and haven't done enough research to form an opinion, but I encourage you to do your own before buying from Ahava. This mask was made in Israel.

Ahava's Time to Clear Purifying Mud Mask comes in a simple beige squeeze tube. The brand logo and product name are printed on the front of the tube, ingredients and directions are listed on the back of the tube. This mask's packaging is very functional, but not much to look at. All packaging is recyclable. 

The Time to Clear Purifying Mud Mask is light beige in color with an interesting moussey consistency that helps it spread easily. This clay mask dries in a flash, and it feels velvety and soft on the skin - not dry or tight in the slightest! Ahava recommends rinsing their Purifying Mud Mask off after just two minutes, but I usually leave it on for five to ten minutes before washing it away (which does take a bit of effort). While I definitely notice Ahava's Purifying Mud Mask pulling excess oil, and there is a pronounced sting on active acne, I can't say that I see significant results from from this mask. I've given this mask a good six or seven tries, and it leaves a lot to be desired for me - it just feels less effective than some of the other clay based masks that I love. After multiple uses of any clay mask, I expect to see at least some impact on my pores and complexion problems, and frankly I haven't seen any after using nearly all of this mask. 

Ahava's Time to Clear Purifying Mud Mask has a standard base of kaolin clay and dead sea silt, mixed with water and multiple cleansing agents to purify the skin. Aloe, jojoba, and glycerin are included to re-introduce moisture into the skin that may be extracted by the clay. A handful of vitamins (B5, E), antioxidants (chamomile, allantonin,), and lactic acid, a gentle exfoliant are also mixed in. Unfortunately, all of these good ingredients are included in a very minute concentration, minimizing their efficacy. This mask is fragrance free, but it does have an earthy, slightly salty smell that I find quite enjoyable.

As a whole, clay masks are best for acne prone, combination, and oily skin types, and that holds true for Ahava's Time to Clear Purifing Mud Mask. I would also advise those with sensitive skin to avoid this mask and opt for a pure clay mask instead.

Though I enjoy it's texture and oil absorbing abilities, Ahava's Time to Clear Purifying Mud Mask just isn't for me. I've tried so many more effective, more affordable, more ethically sourced clay masks. If you want a great clay mask with a similarly smooth texture, I would recommend Zakia's Ghassoul Clay Mask, which may be less convenient, but it's incredible value and noticeable results are worth the extra work. 



Ingredients:
Kaolin, Silt (Dead Sea Mud), Aqua (Mineral Spring Water), Cocamide MEA, DMDM Hydantoin, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Propanediol (Corn derived Glycol), Glyceryl Stearate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Ceteareth-30, Cetearyl Alcohol, Maris Sal (Dead Sea Water), Sodium Lactate, Zinc Oxide, Caprylyl Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol (Pro Vitamin B5), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Stearyl Alcohol, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Peg-40 Stearate, Allantoin, Lactic Acid, Dimethicone, Sorbitan Tristearate, Xanthan Gum, PEG-5 Cocoate, PEG-8 Dicocoate, PEG-9, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triclosan, Methylisothiazolinone, BHA, Tocopherol (Vitamin E).

4 comments

  1. Replies
    1. You do. You should not use this.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you've read very many reviews then, because they seem to be split between good and bad - I don't even think its a bad product, so much as overpriced for what it is. My opinion on the product's function has little to nothing to do with Ahava's location. I mentioned it for readers that are concerned about Israel/West Bank issues.

      Delete