Makeup Revolution Golden Lights Vivid Baked Highlighter Review+Swatches

I was simultaneously thrilled and overwhelmed by choice when Makeup Revolution finally became available in the United States! I added at least ten products to my Ulta basket and set off to do some research and narrow it down to one or two products to try. After reading a glowing review of the Radiant Lights Vivid Baked Highlighter written by Monika from Rocaille Writes, I knew this highlighter had to be mine. Of the three shades available, I chose Golden Lights - a decision I don't regret at all! Makeup Revolution's Vivid Baked Highlights contain a massive 7.5 grams (.25 oz) of product and cost just $6 (£3 in the UK). While Makeup Revolution is widely available in Europe, its currently sold exclusively at Ulta here in the US. This affordable brand is cruelty free. The Vivid Baked Highlighters are made in China.

I'm not feeling this baked highlighter's packaging - the round, black plastic compact with a clear, domed lid are bulky and unattractive. The product's name was written on the lid in gold lettering, but it was already partially rubbed off when I received it, and now there isn't a trace of it left. I apologise for the ugly photos, but that's how it came to me. I hate when this happens. A simple label is affixed to the back of the compact, offering the shade name and ingredient list. Packaging is not recyclable.

Makeup Revolution makes up for the unsightly and chunky packaging by carving a beautiful, swirling design into the powder. The gorgeous pattern is quite prominent and will still appear even after heavy use. This is such a pretty detail, and exceptionally nice considering how affordable this highlighter is!
Like many baked powder products, Makeup Revolution's Vivid Baked Highlighters are somewhat dry in the pan, but that doesn't make this illuminating powder difficult to work with - rather the opposite, actually! This pigment packed highlighter's strong color payoff is easily controlled by the type of brush you choose to use - a fan brush will yield a subtle hint of a white-gold glow. If I feel like going hard on my highlight, I opt for a small fluffy brush like Soho's Crease Brush for some high level illumination. This baked highlighter can also be used wet, but its already so potent, I wouldn't dare to try it that way!

For the most part, I get decent wear from Makeup Revolution's Golden Lights Vivid Baked Highlighter, it lasts 6-7 hours on me. I do, however, have an occasional problem with the way this highlighter sits on the skin. Nine times out of ten, Golden Lights looks flawless, but once in a while, it turns out patchy and powdery - its a hot, shimmering mess! I can't really isolate the cause of this, but I suspect this highlighter is reacting poorly to moisture from my foundation.
[Top: Flash. Bottom: Natural Light]
Golden Lights is a shimmering white gold with a strong golden flash when it catches the light. The color manages to be both subtle and intense, depending on the angle it's viewed at. I love the way you can't see it on my fair skin if you're looking at me dead on, but if I turn to the side Golden Lights will produce a beautiful gilded sheen. 

Golden Lights is a great night time or special occasion highlighter for me, but its a little too strong for me to wear on a daily basis - it was great during the holidays though! I think this brilliant white gold powder would make a really pretty body highlighter as well. 
Makeup Revolution's Golden Lights Vivid Baked Highlighter definitely isn't an everyday highlighter for me, but I do really enjoy it! This white gold highlighter is super pigmented, yet easy to work with - you can achieve a blindingly bright highlight, or dust on just a bit for a faint glow, depending on you mood. I'm really glad I picked this shade, its similar in color to City Color's White Gold Highlighting Mousse, but in a more user friendly format. Go to Ulta and take a look at Makeup Revolution's Vivid Baked Highlighters. I think you'll like them! 



Ingredients:
Mica, Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

disclosure:
this product was gifted to me.  this post contains affiliated links/referral codes. 

1 comment