Exuviance SkinRise Bionic Tonic Review

Exuviance SkinRise Bionic Tonic Toner Pads
Exuviance calls their SkinRise Bionic Tonic "the perfect way to start each day! Renew your skin, spirit and senses, revealing a healthy, radiant complexion, with enhanced clarity, smoothness and firmness. This powerful moisturizing, antioxidant and anti-aging tonic contains a triple blend of Polyhydroxy Acids (PHAs) and a marine botanical to moisturize and condition skin. Eucalyptus and cucumber refine and stimulate, while green tea extract helps to protect the skin from the damaging effects of free radicals and harmful environmental factors. Alcohol-free." The SkinRise Bionic Tonic contains 36 pre-soaked pads (about 50 ml) and retails for $45 at the Neostrata website, Dermstore, or Ulta. Exuviance does not test on animals. The SkinRise Bionic Tonic pads are made in the USA

The SkinRise Bionic Tonic has great packaging! These toner pads come in a weighty, frosted plastic jar with a silver lid. A secondary cap is included under the twist off lid to help Exuviance's toner pads retain their moisture. Not only is packaging functional, I think it also has an attractive spa aesthetic to it - I love the way it looks on my sink top. Unfortunately packaging is not recyclable. 

The Bionic Tonic pads are soft and thin with a slightly bumpy texture to aid in exfoliation. The Exuviance SkinRise Bionic Tonic pads are absolutely saturated with toner - seriously, these are the wettest face wipes or toner pads I've ever used - they're almost dripping! For a size reference, the Exuviance SkinRise pads are slightly smaller than Nip+Fab's Glycolic Fix Exfoliating Pads

Exuviance's SkinRise Bionic Tonic is a slightly more viscous than usual toner that takes a minute to sink in, leaving a bit of a tacky film on the skin. This toner is extremely cooling with a mild tingle - it'll definitely wake you up! It's no wonder than Exuviance recommends the SkinRise Bionic Tonic for morning use. This toner is marginally hydrating, but that's about it, I don't experience any other benefits from this product. Bionic Tonic is meant to provide a gentle chemical exfoliation with each use, but I don't see or feel any evidence of it, but then again my skin is used to much more active acids than the ones included in this toner. After roughly a month of daily use, I've seen no real improvement in my skin - actually I think my skin's in slightly worse shape than it was before I began using Bionic Tonic. In the last two weeks, I've noticed increased redness and more sensitivity on my cheeks. 

After a peek at SkinRise Bionic Tonic's ingredient list, its hard to be surprised that these toner pads haven't done much for my skin. This toner's base is a mix of water, glycerin, and a couple of thickening glycols. The only 'active' ingredient in the SkinRise Bionic Tonic toner pads is polyhydroxy acid in the form of gluconolactone and lactobionic acid. PHAs are meant to be a more gentle chemical exfoliant than AHAs like glycolic acid. Despite being more mild, gluconolactone is meant to be just as effective as it's harsher alternatives, but that hasn't been my experience. These toner pads are formulated with vitamins A,C, and E, and soothing green tea, algae, and cucumber extracts, but they're overwhelmed by a high concentration of peppermint oil, a potent irritant and cause of  Bionic Tonic's cooling sensation. Other irritants include eucalyptus and grapefruit oil, which can cause photo sensitivity - be sure to follow this product with a SPF. The SkinRise Bionic Tonic contains a small amount of fragrance, resulting in a strong, fresh minty scent - pleasant but not necessary. On the plus side, Exuviance's SkinRise Bionic Tonic is alcohol free. 

I usually like Exuviance products, but SkinRise Bionic Tonic is not for me. These toner pads have yielded no positive results for me after nearly a month. The combination of polyhydroxy acids failed to impact my skin, which is more familiar with stronger, glycolic laden products. While it's not entirely terrible, I'm not impressed by this toner's ingredient list, mainly the significant amount of peppermint oil - an ingredient that has antiseptic properties, but is largely irritating. I don't recommend Exuviance's SkinRise Bionic Tonic, especially not to those with sensitive or reactive skin types. I'll be sticking to my Nip+Fab Glycolic Fix Pads, which work better for me, for a fraction of a cost! 



Ingredients:
Aqua (Water), Butylene Glycol, Polysorbate 80, Propylene Glycol, Gluconolactone, Glucoheptonolactone, Glycerin, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Algae Extract, Lactobionic Acid, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Arginine, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Extract, Tocopheryl (Vitamin E) Acetate, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Retinyl (Vitamin A) Palmitate, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Camellia Oleifera (Japanese Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Menthyl Lactate, Ammonium Hydroxide, Polysorbate 20, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Parfum (Fragrance), CI 42090 (Blue 1).

Disclosure:
This product was sent to me for review by BrandBacker. My opinions are not influenced by BrandBacker, Exuviance, NeoStrata, or any other third party. This post contains affiliated links/referral codes.

1 comment