MAC Half n Half Lipstick Review+Swatches

MAC Lipsticks are a blogger favorite for a reason - I only have two and they both leave me craving more! MAC says their lipsticks are "formulated to shade, define, and showcase the lips. Hundreds of hues, high fashion textures. The iconic product that made MAC famous." Today I'm reviewing the rarely mentioned and highly underrated Half n Half. Each MAC Lipstick contains 3 grams of product and cost $17 (it seems like the price is going up so fast!). I bought Half n Half at Macy's, but MAC is carried at most high end department stores world wide, or you can order directly from the brand online, by phone, or shop at their free standing stores. MAC is not cruelty free. This lipstick was made in Belgium.
MAC's black, bullet shaped tubes are instantly recognizable - they're plain in the most brilliant way. Packaging is sturdy and well made, the lipstick scrolls up and down fluidly. The shade name and finish are clearly labeled on the bottom of the tube for easy identification and storage. If you're looking for an ingredient list, you'll need to refer to the equally iconic outer packaging, which is recyclable. The lipstick's packing can be recycled at any MAC store or counter - bring back six empty MAC products and you'll be able to choose a free lipstick or lip gloss!
Half n Half, an Amplified lipstick, has a rich and creamy texture that makes it quite comfortable to wear. The emollient consistency helps Half n Half apply easily, but this lipstick does something strange that I've never seen before; Half n Half looks terrible immediately after application - streaky and uneven and just plain bad. This problem can be prevented with a lip primer like Too Faced Lip Insurance, but its also easily corrected by rubbing the lips together and giving it a couple minutes to settle. All in all, this is a really minor problem, but its not something I've experienced before, so I figured it was worth mentioning.

As is standard for MAC's Amplified lipsticks, Half n Half has fantastic color payoff, providing an opaque layer of color in a single stroke. Despite it's soft, creamy formula, I get pretty good wear from this lipstick; Half n Half typically lasts three hours on me without slipping or bleeding, though it does transfer off quite easily. MAC Lipsticks, which are fragile and prone to melting in my experience, have a light, enjoyable vanilla scent and flavor.
Too Faced Naughty Nude, MAC Half n Half, City Color Cappuccino Comparison
Too Faced Naughty Nude, MAC Half n Half, City Color Cappuccino 

MAC calls Half n Half a "creamy pink", but to me its more of a soft, neutral brown with a strong pink influence - very much the color of a creamy mocha latte, the name makes perfect sense! This lipstick has a  lovely, creamy, slightly shiny finish that's devoid of any sort of shimmer. Half n Half is a great medium nude shade for red heads and those with ginger-y features, but I think it would suit nearly anyone. 

I felt immediate regret after purchasing Half n Half because I was worried that it would be too similar to another favorite pinky brown lipstick, Too Faced's Naughty Nude, but luckily I was wrong! Naughty Nude is lighter and warmer, with more of a peachy tone. I also thought City Color's Cappuccino would be close in color, but again I was wrong - its deeper and rosier. MAC's own Velvet Teddy is very close in color, but with a matte finish. 
MAC Half n Half Lipstick Lip Swatch
I really like MAC's Half n Half Lipstick! This was my first Amplified lipstick, and it will not be my last - the formula is great - moisturizing, easy to apply, with decent longevity. No complaints here, aside from the streaky finish right after application, which has a quick fix. Half n Half is a great pink-brown shade that will suit a lot of people - I don't know why we don't hear more about this hidden gem. I recommend at least swatching this lipstick next time you visit MAC, I think you'll like it!



Bloglovin-Tumblr-Twitter-Pinterest-Facebook-Instagram

Ingredients:
Castor Seed Oil, Diisostearyl Malate, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Lanolin Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Candelilla Wax, Octyldodecanol, Ozokerite, Silica, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Bis-diglyceryl Polyacyladipate 2, Polyethylene, Microcrystalline Wax, Wheat Germ Extract, Soybean Extract, Barley Extract, Murumuru Butter, Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalane, Cholesterol, Ceramide 3, Alumina, Tin Oxide, Linoleic Acid, Vanillin

May Contain:
Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Blue 1, Carmine, Red 6, Red 7, Red 28, Red 30, Red 33, Yellow 5, Yellow 6

1 comment