BH Cosmetics Galaxy Chic Baked Eyeshadow Palette Review+Swatches (+ some Space info)




Galaxy Chic Palette
 BH Cosmetics says "the stars will truly align when you use this baked eyeshadow palette with 18 versatile shades. This palette comes in a range of out of this world colors that work for everyone. From every day neutrals to vibrant hues, your look will undoubtedly be Galaxy Chic!" This 18 pan baked eyeshadow palette contains 35.4 grams of product and sells for $19.95 - but I picked mine up off of HauteLook for around $8! BH Cosmetics is cruelty free. This palette was made in China.

Galaxy Chic Palette
The Galaxy Chic Palette is super cute! Not even gonna lie, this is a product I bought for packaging/theme - definitely not because I needed yet another eyeshadow palette! The palette it's self is made of medium weight, sturdy, pink and purple cardboard; the name of the palette is printed on the front in white lettering. A product description and full ingredient list are printed on the back of the palette. Inside this palette (which, by the way, has a magnetic closure), you'll find a large, good quality mirror and eighteen domed, baked eyeshadows in three rows. I adore the shadows themselves - they're beautiful! Most of these baked eyeshadows are marbled, so each Galaxy Chic palette will look different and unique! Packaging is recyclable.

Like I mentioned, I bought this palette purely for it's aesthetic. I love space - its amazing, and every shadow in this palette is named after a different celestial body! To share my love of space, I'll be linking every body's Wikipedia page. You gotta share that knowledge!
BH Cosmetics Galaxy Chic Palette Eyeshadows
Anyway. on to the eyeshadows! For the most part. BH Cosmetics Galaxy Chic Palette is pretty alright. These baked eyeshadows can be used wet or dry, and most of them perform well both ways. Almost all of these eyeshadows have a soft, blendable texture and good color payoff. Used wet, the Galaxy Chic shadows become much more pigmented and lose their pliability - so I only recommend foiling them if you plan on doing a one shadow look, or if you're planning on using an eyeshadow as an eyeliner. Like most large palettes, BH Cosmetics' Galaxy Chic isn't without it's duds, but I'll touch on that in the individual shade descriptions. Longevity is a bit of an issue here. Even over a primer, these eyeshadows only last about six hours before some major creasing begins. 

I don't like this palette's color scheme as much I though I would - it just doesn't feel cohesive. Though there are several beautiful neutrals and unique red tones, I feel like Galaxy Chic is polluted by an overabundance of blue eyeshadows. There's also literally no variety of finish - all 18 eyeshadows have a frosty or shimmery finish. Would it have been too hard to include just one matte? Galaxy Chic just feels so random, and I find it difficult to to pair shades up. This is one of those palettes that you really have to think about - and usually I really like that, but I've been in a terrible eyeshadow rut for a few months now, and combining colors just doesn't come naturally to me anymore. I know that's my fault and not the palettes, but it does prevent me from reaching for Galaxy Chic. Because of my struggles, I came up with a few suggestions for color combos, in case you're feeling a tad overwhelmed by this chaotic color palette and need a bit of guidance!

Look 1: Saturn&Sun on the lid, Mercury in the crease, Mars in the outer v.

Look 2: Prometheus all over the lid, blended up into the crease. Aphrodite in the outer v. 

Look 3: Milky Way on the inner corner, Cosmic all over the lid. Moon in the crease, Pluto in the outer v. Asteroid as an eyeliner (foiled).

All of the swatches below are applied with a flat brush over primer. Dry swatches are on the left, wet swatches are on the right. I was sure to swirl my brush over each shade to engage all the colors in the veining, to get the truest representation of the color. Click to enlarge. 
Sun is an orange tinged golden shade with a smattering of cranberry strewn through it. The reddish veining only slightly influence's Sun's color, giving it a slight, peachy tint when used dry. Sun has a frosted finish that borders on metallic when applied wet. 
Jupiter is a pure salmon pink with a strong golden sheen. Foiling Jupiter gives it even more golden dimension. This shade has great pigmentation, and a really soft texture - it feels more like a traditional powder shadow than a baked one.
Prometheus is a plummy red with silvery white veining. Swirled together, this shade becomes a super shimmery red shade with violet tones. Prometheus causes a ton of glittery fall out, but I love it any way - I think this is my favorite shade in the Galaxy Chic Palette.
Aphrodite is a pure, rich cranberry red with a frosted finish. Aphrodite is beautiful, and intense - and also kinda similar to MAC's Cranberry - even more so when applied wet!
Milky Way is a cool, light lilac with subtle silver patches. All mixed up, Milky Way shows up as a silvery shade with a hint of a pale, pastel lilac. This shimmery shadow is quite sheer and will need to be packed on in multiple layers if you want it to be noticeable. 
Cosmic is also a light lilac, extremely similar to Milky Way but with less silver veining. Cosmic shows up with a bit more purple and less silver - but its marginal at best. Much like Milky Way, Cosmic is on the sheer side.
Saturn is a pale yellow with a few spots of peach scattered through it. The peach hues give Saturn a hint of a gold color. Saturn is sheerer than I'd like it to be, but that being said, it makes a beautiful inner corner color.
Venus is a bright, frosty tangerine orange. While I don't get a ton of use from this shade, I love that such an odd color was thrown into the mix. Venus has excellent color payoff, especially when applies with a damp brush.
Meteor is actually a really interesting color. In the pan, it looks like a marbling of silver and seafoam green, but once applies, Meteor shows up as a strange, green tinged platinum shade with a finish so frosty it almost looks wet.
Comet is a pure seafoam shade with a silver reflect and frosty finish. Comet has strong color payoff, and a nice texture, but I rarely dip a brush into it - it just isn't a color that looks good on me.
Earth is the Galaxy Chic Palette's dud. Ironic? A little. This blend of white and turquoise has a super dry texture and almost no pigment to it at all. Even used wet, Earth turns out to be a barely there, frosted baby blue.
Neptune is a medium, true blue with a violet flash. Unfortunately, the duochromacity of this shade wasn't really picked up in my photos. Neptune is a bit thin, so it'll work best if packed on over a white, sticky base.
Mercury is a melange of taupe, silver, and plum. Swirled all together, Mercury becomes a bronzey taupe with a frost finish. This is probably the easiest eyeshadow of them all, and one I tend to use pretty often. Mercury reminds me a bit of Urban Decay's YDK Eyehadow.
Mars is a warm, rusty reddish brown shade with a frost finish. Pigmentation is fantastic and the formula is silky. Foiling Mars brings out a slightly orangier tone to it.
Asteroid is so interesting in the pan - a strong mahogany color with blue veining! Very different! This is a medium brown with some red hints (not as red as Mars). Asteroid becomes much more intense when foiled - and the blue tones lend it a bit of coolness in an otherwise warm shade. It's gorgeous.
Electra is a pale, frosty aqua - similar to comet, but less green and more blue. Payoff is weak, I definitely recommend foiling this shadow to take it up a notch.
Moon is a 50/50 split of greyish purple and silvery white - and that's exactly how it shows up on the skin. This frosty shadow is a little flaky and it will cause a bit of shimmering fallout.
Pluto is a pure, grey purple with a super shimmery, nearly metallic finish. Pigmentation is quite strong, especially when used wet. Wet or dry, Pluto will cause sparkly fallout.
BH Cosmetics Galaxy Chic Baked Eyeshadow Palette is cute and fun - I really do love the theme - but it hasn't become a staple in my collection. As a whole, these eyeshadows are good, but they have flaws. Pigmentation really varies shade to shadow, and even a primer won't help these baked eyeshadows last all day. The colors, while pretty in the pans, are a bit difficult to combine. If you love the way the Galaxy Chic palette looks, like I do, get it - you'll definitely get some use out of it, but don't expect to be blown away by high quality eyeshadows.






Ingredients:
Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Nylon-12, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Polysorbate 20, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate. May Contain/Peut Contenir [+/-: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide (CI77510), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035)] <4407>

Disclosure:
This product was gifted to me. This post contains affiliated links/referral codes. 

Leave a Comment

  1. i need this palette just for jupiter and aphrodite!

    brooke | brooke elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are super beautiful, aren't they?

      Delete
  2. I bought this palette based on how it looks too! I'm also underwhelmed by it as well and I think I've only used it twice. It's a shame because the colors are nice to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eyeing up this palette myself but I've never had luck with bh cosmetics and I hate foiling eyeshadows, for some reason when I wet my brushes they never pick up pigment. But I love the theme, asteroid is beautiful and I like neptune...they're all beautiful in the pan. I'm a little bit of a space nerd myself...I'm super into astrology and the planets are a big part of it so I kinda wanted it for that lol...I'm still on the fence since your review was pretty spot on to what I expected it to be...and I'd just like to thank you for your honesty because I never trust any bh cosmetics review I see on YouTube bc I've heard total raves on their palettes and everything I've ever bought from them was mediocre at best. I didn't understand the whole "sponsored" thing at the time :p but I actually trust you! And that packaging is killer lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Space tho. <3 I've only tried a couple things from BH Cosmetics and the brand as a whole just feels really underwhelming. I'm so happy you trust my reviews - that means a lot! <3

      Delete
  4. If they had waited a bit they could have had a more close colour for pluto ;-; the mission is nearly there

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a little confused about the color recommendations at the top of the review, because I couldn't find "Pluto" in my palette. I have the older version with different cover art—since the colors of the eyeshadows remained exactly the same, I never realized two of them got renamed for the new version. "Uranus" became "Electra", and "Eclipse" became "Pluto". All other names remained the same. Personally, I like "Eclipse" better than "Pluto". What I really miss in this palette is a nice warm olive or grass green—I would have preferred that over those light blue/minty shades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how strange. I noticed there was two different versions of the cover art, but never knew they had renamed a few shades. And I totally agree, an olive green would've been a fantastic addition to the Galaxy Chic palette...but then again I'm a sucker for olive greens lol.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...