Models Own Red Sea Nail Polish Review+Swatches

 Models Own's Red Sea is a glitter top coat from this summer's Splash Collection. I've been interested in Models Own's polishes for a while, but they can be difficult to track down in the US, so I was excited when I pulled this polish out of my July Ipsy Bag. Models Own Nail Polishes contain 14ml and sell for £5, or $8.50 USD. Models Own seems to be cruelty free, but I'm not entirely sure This polish was made in the European Union.

 I like Models Own's nail polish packaging. Something about the round, chunky bottle appeals to me. The Models Own logo is printed on the bottle in bold, white lettering. The wide, round white cap is a little difficult for me to hold, but I got some tiny little fingers, so it's probably a personal problem. The brush is long and narrow, with no splayed bristles in sight. All packaging is recyclable.
 I haven't had much luck with chunky, flaky glitter polishes in the past, and unfortunately Red Sea is no different. This polish has a thick, goopy texture that makes it very difficult to apply evenly Each coat of Red Sea can take a good while to dry, maybe two minutes per coat. Like so many flaky polishes, the glitter chunks tend to not lay flat on the nail. A top coat will help flatten the flakes to an extent, but texture will remain uneven. I've had very poor wear from Models Own's Red Sea. It doesn't last more than a day on me, under any circumstance. Fingers, toes, top coat, no top coat, Red Sea just peels right off. Its a mess.
 Red Sea is described as a "wave of energetic fuchsia red", which isn't really descriptive nough for such an interesting color. Red Sea is a sheer, pinkish red jelly polish with large flakes of holographic glitter. This shade is meant for layering; I think it looks best over a white polish, it really brightens the shade up and makes the glitter flakes stand out.
I'm not impressed by Models Own Red Sea Nail Polish. This jelly glitter top coat's consistency is a nightmare - its thick, chunky, uneven and it takes forever to dry. This polish wears poorly. Red Sea is an interesting shade, I've never seen anything quite like it, it looks like an indie polish to me. I don't think I'll be holding on to Red Sea and I don't recommend it. 



Ingredients:
ethyl acetate, butyl acetate, nitrocellulose, adipic acid/neopentyl glycol/trimellitic anhydride, copolymer, acetyl tributyl citrate, isopropyl alcohol, polyethylene terephthalate, silica, polymethyl methacrylate. [+/- barium sulfate, ci 42090, ci 19140, ci 15850, ci 77510]

Disclosure:
this post contains affiliated links/referral codes

3 comments

  1. I agree the formula sucks but please try this over black! It doesn't change the shitty formula but it's beautiful enough that I put up with it ;) Happy late Thanksgiving and keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on it! I ordered a black polish from Ulta and am eagerly awaiting it. Thanks bb, you too. <3

      Delete
  2. At least you can always eat the jelly

    ReplyDelete