August 2014 Ipsy Bag - Beauty Schooled

 I just received my August Ipsy Glam Bag, and to be honest I'm very underwhelmed. Ipsy is a monthly beauty subscription service that sends out 4 to 6 deluxe sample or full sized beauty products, packaged in a cute bag, for just $10 per month. This month Ipsy sent out seventeen products from fifteen brands.

New Partnerships: Bee All Natural, Cali Cosmetics, Free Your Mane, Manna Kadar Cosmetics, Paula's Choice, StriVectin

Repeat Partnerships: Absolute, Dr. Brandt, Urban Decay, Coastal Scents, Lord&Berry, GlamGlow, J.Cat Beauty, Jersey Shore Sun, Klorane

Click through to see what came in my August Glam Bag.

 The bag this month is quite cute, I think. A cylindrical, white vinyl bag with orange polka dots and an orange zipper. The bag has no lining. My bag was absolutely smashed, and I'm having trouble restoring it to it's intended shape. I'll definitely keep this and use it on my upcoming trip.
 Absolute You're The Balm Green Apple Lip Balm - Full Size - $3

I'm not a big fan of balms in tins, but I'll give this one a try. The apple scent is yummy, and the texture is nice and glossy. Subscribers who received this balm got either the Green Apple or Grape flavor. 


The Claims:
Treat your lips with this ultra-moisturizing lip balm from Absolute New York. This lightly tinted, creamy, conditioning formula softens, smooths, and protects lips for a seriously kissable pout. Discover this must-have balm for sensationally soft and luscious lips!

The Offer:
30% off Nicka K purchases with code IPSY. exp 9/11/14

 Dr. Brandt Pores No More Primer - Deluxe Sample - $11.25 (Full Size $45)

I love trying primers, and haven't tried anything from Dr. Brandt before, so the Pores No More Pore Refining Primer is the second most exciting sample in this month's bag (I saved the best for last). I was surprised to see that this primer has a slight tint, like Benefit's Porefessional. 


The Claims:
A cult favorite, Pores No More Pore Refiner Primer is Dr. Brandt’s quick fix for flawless, photo-ready skin. It is the miracle base to create the perfect skin canvas for long-lasting makeup and well-preserved skin. This velvety formula absorbs excess oil, minimizes pores, blurs fine lines and is resistant to sweat and humidity. Prime, touch-up and treat while perfecting your makeup.

The Offer:
20% Off + Free Pores no More Primer Sample with code IPSY20. exp 10/31/14

 Lord&Berry Silk Kohl Liner Pencil - Sample - $3~ (Full Size Unknown)

This black kohl pencil was sent out last month and I saw many subscribers complain about how tiny this eyeliner is...and they were not kidding. I wasn't prepared for a pencil the length of my pinky - its literally two inches long. The texture of this pencil seems nice, and its something I'll definitely use up. I can't get an exact quote on the price/sample value, since Lord&Berry's webstore is being redesigned, but this minuscule sample can't be worth more than a couple bucks. 


The Claims:
Sensual and exotic, that's the effect that Silk Kajal Kohl Eye Pencil delivers. Just like the traditional Kohl, but with the modern ease and control of a pencil. Giving a semi-matte finish that is also smudgeable, Silk Kajal Kohl's soft tip is ophthalmologically-tested and gentle enough to be used on the inner eye.

The Offer:
25% off any Lord&Berry Purchase with code LAB@14091. exp 10/15/14

 Coastal Scents Forever Blush - Sample - $2 (Full Size $7.95/1 Blush)

Another ridiculously small sample. These blushers are super pigmented, with smooth textures, but how am I supposed to fit a blush brush into these little pans? Even an eyeshadow brush would be a struggle. This duo contains the shades Fresh and Elegant. 

The Claims:
Coastal Scents Forever Blush boasts 18 perfectly pigmented, powder blushes with a long-lasting rush of color.

The Offer:
25% off Coastal Scents purchase with code blush25off. exp 10/6/14
 Urban Decay Perversion Mascara - Deluxe Sample - $5.50 (Full Size $22)
Told you I saved the best for last! I love mascara, and I love Urban Decay, so I'm super excited to try their new Perversion Mascara. Packaging is gorgeous, and this mascara is so, so black! The brush is far more basic than I expected, but that might be a good thing - crazy brushes rarely work well for me. 

The Claims:
Bigger. Blacker. Badder. Urban Decay's ultra-creamy, lengthening and volumizing mascara features triple-black pigments and a deeply nourishing ingredient blend. Perversion Mascara gets you sexy in one stroke, yet it won’t quit until you say when.

No Offer
With a BBW Pocket Bac, for size reference. 

Total Value of my August Ipsy Bag:
$24.75

This bag was so disappointing to me. Two of the samples are unacceptably small. The only full sized product is a cheap lip balm in a tin. The value of this bag is extremely low, compared to my normal $40-60 value bags. Even though I like the bag, and two of the products, I'm left feeling very dissatisfied with August's Ipsy Bag. 

Shipping is starting to become a major problem, in my opinion. Each month my bag arrives later and later. This month I received my shipping notice on the 10th, with a projected delivery date of August 16, but didn't receive my bag until the 19th. Every month my bag sits in the Kentucky DHL Hub for up to a week. I just don't think its reasonable for it to take 7-10 days to get a small package from North Carolina to Pennsylvania. 

I won't be posting about my September and October bags, or the Mystery Glam Bag I redeemed points for, on time since I'll be in Australia for a couple months. Here's to hoping they're betters bags! If not, I think I'll be canceling, after nearly three years of subscribing. 

Comment and tell me what you got in your August GlamBag
+
Keep an eye out for new IpsyPoints rewards, I try to update on all of them. 





Disclosure:
This post contains affiliated links and referral codes.

3 comments

  1. Wow, we did get the same bag! Glad I wasn't alone in how much of a disappointment it was. I'm in Pennsylvania too so I find it odd that you got yours so late. Hopefully the next few bags are good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get mine late, or at least after you get yours. Sorry you have to share in the disappointment. Also heck yeah, PA.

      Delete
  2. Forever blush is another good way to describe mary

    ReplyDelete