ELF Studio High Definition Powder Review




 ELF calls their bestselling Studio High Definition Powder a "versatile loose powder that creates a flawless 'soft focus' effect to the skin. Masks fine lines and imperfections for a glowing, radiant complexion. This incredibly soft and invisible powder is ideal for every day wear, either alone or over your favorite ELF foundation." This powder is often touted as a drugstore dupe for Make Up For Ever's HD Powder. ELF offers their Studio High Definition Powder in three shade selections - this review is for the translucent option. This loose powder contains 8 grams (.28 oz) and sells for just $6. ELF is cruelty free. This powder was made in China. ELF products can be ordered through the brand's website, or bought in store at most major retailers.

 ELF's Studio High Definition Powder comes in a black, bulky, square container with a twist off cap. The product name is printed on the cap in white lettering. Twisting off the cap reveals a soft, white powder puff. Beneath the puff is a white sifter with many openings. I keep about 3/4 of the sifter taped off to prevent too much powder from keeping out (I recommend you do the same!). Packaging is so needlessly large. On top of that, I feel like the sifter could be vastly improved upon. The sifter would be better if there were fewer, more centralized holes. Hopefully, ELF redesigns in the future.
 ELF's High Definition Powder is a soft, very finely milled white powder. I had a hard time figuring out how to correctly apply this powder. I tried a variety of tools and techniques for applying varying quantities of product - and regardless it was always still visible on the skin, either as a slightly white cast or a cakey, powdery texture. Of course, my first instinct was to blame the powder - clearly it wasn't very good. But I was wrong. I just didn't have an application method down pat. Carefully patting just a little bit of this powder with a flat powder brush over foundation, then gently butting over it with a kabuki brush renders amazing results. The included power puff is decent for application as well, if you use a patting and rolling motion. When properly applied, ELF's HD Powder blurs the appearance of pores and little imperfections. This loose powder mattifies the skin without giving a flat appearance. This powder doesn't control oil much, nor does it seem to significantly extend the wear of my makeup. Obviously, this white-translucent powder doesn't provide any coverage to speak of. Over application of this powder will result in a cakey appearance. This white powder will flash back in photos if applied in abundance.
I like ELF's High Definition Translucent Powder. This powder is a little fussy to work with, because of that I don't recommend it for daily use. For a similar effect that's quicker or easier to apply, I recommend Essence's All About Matt Powder, which is essentially a pressed version of ELFs HD Powder. Anyway, this loose powder can deliver awesome results if applied correctly. The price is awesome, especially for the quantity of powder you get. I do recommend ELF's Studio High Definition Powder to those with a little more makeup experience. Beginners may want to opt for a pressed HD Powder instead though.



Ingredients:
Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Tin Oxide, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Sodium Dehydroacetate

May Contain: 
Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140)


Disclosure:
This product was gifted to me.

Leave a Comment

  1. I assisted with this post n.n

    ReplyDelete
  2. This stuff is my favourite setting powder, but I hate the packaging. If you don't keep it upright all the time the stuff gets everywhere!

    http://mattekat.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you like it! I actually haven't had that problem with the packaging, but its just so big! It barely fits in the drawer I keep my face products in.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...