Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette Review + Swatches




 Last year I fell head over heels for Urban Decay's Naked 2 palette. When rumors began flying about a potential Naked 3 palette, I knew I had to have it! Urban Decay's Naked 3 palette offers "12 totally new (and insanely beautiful) rose hued neutrals, ALL EXCLUSIVE to this set! Choose from every finish imaginable; ultra smooth mattes, gorgeous pearls and glimmering metallics. From the palest shimmery pink to the deepest matte black with red micro-glitter (aptly named Blackheart), these neutrals will make you want to get Naked all over again." This palette contains a dozen full sized eyeshadows, a double ended Good Karma brush, and a sampler of Urban Decay's four Primer Potions. This palette retails for $52 ($62 CAD), which after the initial sticker shock you'll realise is an excellent value (3 UD shadows would sell for $54, all up the 12 have a value of $216!). Urban Decay does not test on animals, though their parent company, L'Oreal, is not cruelty free. The Naked 3 palette was made in the US, but assembled in the Dominican Republic. The double ended brush was made in China. Urban Decay products can be bough through the brand's website, Ulta, and Sephora.

 Urban Decay's Naked 3 Palette is beautifully packaged. This palette came housed in a tan cardboard box that features the product name, Urban Decay logo, and images of the twelve eyeshadows. The back of the box features a description of the palette, swatches of the four primer samples and an image of the included brush. The palette it's self is lovely. About 8 inches long and three inches wide, the palette is made of lightweight but sturdy rosy-tan metal case. The Naked 3 logo is embossed across the rippled case in three-dimensional gold letters. Opening the hard case reveals a single row of rectangular eyeshadows, each labeled. A shallow well holds the dual ended brush. The top of the palette's interior offers a great quality, full sized mirror. This palette is well constructed and very travel friendly. I believe all packaging is recyclable.
 The color scheme of Urban Decay's Naked 3 Palette is chiefly pink based. There aren't a lot of deep shades in this palette, mid-toned colors dominate the Naked 3. The range of finishes is quite pleasing; three mattes are included. It'd be an understatement to call the colors in this palette beautiful. That being said, I find it a little difficult to come up with color combos, though whatever looks I do come up with always turn out beautiful, soft, and romantic. All twelve eyeshadows wear all day with primer.
 Strange is a "a pale neutral pink matte-satin." Strange is barely pink tinged at all, I'd call it an off-white with a very slight pink tint. Matte-satin is an accurate description of the finish. The texture of Strange is excellent, soft without kicking up any excess powder. Strange is good for blending out edges and highlighting under the brow bone. If you're pale like me, Strange also makes a great all over color for a nude eye look. 
 Dust is a "pale metallic pink shimmer with iridescent micro glitter." I'm sore to say that Dust is awful, the worst Urban Decay eyeshadow I've tried. Dust is a very light baby pink with silver, slightly chunky glitter. Color payoff is pretty light and the glitters do not adhere to the base shade, causing sparkly fallout. The texture in the pan is shameful, it kicks up so much residual powder which infects the surrounding shades. Foiling Dust will improve color payoff by leaps and bounds, but the glitter particles will still fall throughout the day.
Burnout is a "light, pinky-peach satin." Burnout is probably my most used shade in Naked 3. This shade is similar to a lot of very popular blushes. The peach tinge isn't too strong. I don't know if I'd quite call the finish satin; Burnout appears more frosty than it looks in my photos. Pigmentation is middle of the road. I love Burnout all over the eyelid. Texture is good, soft but just a little bit stubborn to blend. This eyeshadow kicks up a little bit of powder, but causes no fallout. 
 Limit is a "light, dusty rose matte", which is a spot on description in my book. Limit is a very light pink with a greyed undertone. Unlike Strange, which is matte with some dimension, Limit's finish is a completely flat matte. Limit makes a great transitioning shade. Pigmentation is good and the consistency is impressively smooth. Limit is one of only two vegan friendly shades in this palette.
 Buzz is a "metallic shimmer with silver micro glitter." So far, Buzz is my least used shade in the Naked 3 palette, the color doesn't really appeal to me and I find it unflattering on the eye. Buzz is also by far the brightest shade of the twelve. It's a strong rose color with a metallic finish that features silver glitter. Color payoff is awesome and the texture is buttery. Buzz causes a small amount of fallout and excess powder.
 Trick is a "light metallic pink-copper shimmer with tonal micro sparkle". I don't think I could better describe Trick. This shade is kinda similar to Chopper in the Naked 2, with a pinkier tint. This is kinda the oddball in the palette, I don't find it easy to pair with a lot of the other shades. I've seen a lot of complaints about Trick, calling it under pigmented and hard to work with but, but I like it. Pigmentation is decent and, but the texture is slightly rough. Though it doesn't kick up any powder, Trick does have a bit of fallout. Trick is the other vegan shade in Naked 3.
 Nooner is a "medium pinky brown matte." Nooner is awesome, its super pigmented and amazingly smoother. I'd call Nooner a tan based mauve with  a satin matte finish. I love this shade in the crease. This wonderful matte eyeshadow blends like a dream, its truly fantastic in every day.
 Liar is a "medium metallic mauve shimmer." Liar is a little more pinky than Nooner, but its in that same browned mauve color family. Liar is richly pigmented with an incredibly velvety texture that makes it a cinch to blend. This shadow has a beautiful metallic finish that will give any look a lot of dimension. Liar can be fallout prone, so be sure to tap the excess off your brush.
 Factory is a "pinky-brown satin." Honestly, I don't see a lot of pink in this mid-toned brown, if anything it's undertone is a little mauve-y. The finish isn't satin by any means, Factory is definitely a shimmery shadow; it has small but noticeable flecks of gold shimmer. I love Factory for smudging out eyeliner and subtly enhancing the outer corner. Factory is well pigmented and has a rich, smooth feel. This eyeshadow is super blendable while maintaining it's excellent color payoff.
 Mugshot is a "metallic taupe shimmer with slight pink shift." Mugshot is gorgeous - a perfect taupe with a satiny finish. As promised, it reflects a hint of pink from certain angles. Mugshot isn't the most pigmented shade in the Naked 3, but it can be built up. This shadow is very blendable and causes no fall out or powder kick up to mention. Mugshot is similar to, but not a dupe of, MAC's Satin Taupe.
Darkside is a "deep taupe mauve satin." Wow, what a color! Darkside is a very deep taupe that leans more grey than brown. This shade has a smooth satin finish and reflects a bit of purple. Darkside is extremely pigmented and blendable, though it is fallout prone. This eyeshadow makes an awesome, soft eyeliner. 
Blackheart is a "smokey matte black with rosy red micro sparkle." This is a really cool shade. To me, the base color seems to be more of a burnt, blackened plum or burgundy, though the red glitters, which vary in size may be throwing me off. The red sparkle can be a little hard to see on the eye. Blackheart has a dry texture in the pan and can be a little stiff and resistant to blending on the eye, but it's excellent pigmentation makes up for it's texture issues. The glitter binds well with the base eyeshadow, so you won't have much glitter fallout, but I recommend tapping off your brush to prevent black fallout. 
Overall, Urban Decay's Naked 3 Palette is awesome! Eleven of the twelve shades are fantastic - pigmented, long lasting, and easy to work with. Even Dust, the palette's lone dud can be worked with if you're patient. Urban Decay has continued to impress me with the quality of both their eyeshadows and their packaging. The value of all the Naked Palettes is incredible. If more than three shades in this pink and mauve based palette appeal to you, I encourage you to buy it. This palette is well worth the price and you'll get a lot of use out of it. I slightly prefer my Naked 2 palette, but the Naked 3 gives it a run for it's money. 

Vote in my poll for favorite Urban Decay Naked Palette





Ingredients:
DARKSIDE
Talc, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, PTFE, Zinc Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer. 

DUST
Talc, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Zinc Stearate, PTFE, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Silica, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbic Acid, Tin Oxide, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer. 

FACTORY
Talc, PTFE, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Zinc Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer.

NOONER
Talc, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, PTFE, Zinc Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbic Acid.

LIMIT/STRANGE
Talc, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, PTFE, Zinc Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbic Acid. BUZZ
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Talc, Zinc Stearate, PTFE, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Sorbic Acid, Tin Oxide, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer.

BLACKHEART
Talc, Zinc Stearate, Silica, Boron Nitride, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid.

TRICK
Talc, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Zinc Stearate, PTFE, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Tin Oxide, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer. 

LIAR
Talc, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Zinc Stearate, PTFE, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Tin Oxide, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer.

BURNOUT
Talc, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Zinc Stearate, PTFE, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer.

MUGSHOT
Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Talc, Zinc Stearate, PTFE, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid, Tin Oxide, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer.

May Contain:
CI 77019 (Mica), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491/77492/77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 75470 (Carmine), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 19140 (Yellow 5 Lake), CI 77400 (Copper Powder), CI 77742 (Manganese Violet)].

Leave a Comment

  1. Dust looks the prettiest though ;-;

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I didn't already have NAKED 1, I'm sure I'd be forking out for this one! It's so gorgeous, I'm sure you look amazing with it. (: x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its definitely worth the buy if you feel like spoiling yourself! =D

      Delete
  3. I got Naked 3 for Christmas and absolutely love it! And I must say you have the clearest under-eye area I've ever seen, not a hint of dark circles within a mile!
    My Beauty Junction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you love your Naked3! This was a Christmas treat for meas well. And thanks! I use a great eye cream from Sibu Beauty and it really makes a difference!

      Delete
  4. I've been drooling over this palette since it came out, but I'm trying to wait for UD friend and family sale...but I'm not sure I will :p every shade is so gorgeous..I've been eyeing up the too faced chocolate bar palette too...but I think UD will come first lol :) oh and I know I'm late to the party but happy new year and congrats to you and the deanster on your engagement!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette too, but I can't justify the expense =(. Let me know if you get the Naked3! And thank you so much, and happy new year to you too! Keep warm on Tuesday! D:

      Delete
  5. I'm so loving this palette! I'm ordering the Naked 2 right now because I've been hooked ever since I picked up the Naked 3!
    Also, love the swatches! Taking pictures of the shadows on the eyelid is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, the Naked 2 is even better than the Naked 3 (at least in my opinion) so I hope you love it! And I'm glad you appreciate that eye photos, cause that's a heck of a process lol!

      Delete
  6. LOVING the lid swatches! I may have to burgle that idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free! Just beware that it can get kinda irritating if you do a whole Naked palette's worth of shadows in one day D:

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...