Maybelline Too Cool Dr. Rescue Baby Lips Medicated Lip Balm Review




 Maybelline expanded on their massively popular Baby Lips lip balms with the Dr. Rescue line. The Baby Lips Dr. Rescue Medicated Lip Balms provide "medicated care+12 hours hydration. Soothes quickly with a hint of eucalyptus. Cools sore lips with a touch of icy menthol." These lip balms are available in six shades, I'm reviewing Too Cool, which is colorless. Each Baby Lips contains .15 oz (4.4g) and retails for around $4.50, I paid slightly less at Ulta. Maybelline products are not cruelty free. These lip balms are made in America.

 I'm a little put off by Maybelline's Dr. Rescue Baby Lips' packaging. They come similarly packaged to their non-medicated counter parts. The tube is white and topped with a clear cap. The Baby Lips and Dr. Rescue logos are printed on the label surrounding the cap. The label is what I dislike about the packaging - its peeling and makes the packaging look messy. Peeling the label reveals the legally mandated drug facts sheet, a copy of which is also available on the balm's cardboard packaging .
 I've been a fan of Maybelline's Baby Lips Lip Balms since they were released about three years ago. The Dr. Rescue Baby Lips share the slick texture that I love, but that's about all I like. Winter is in full force here in Pittsburgh and my lips are wrecked because of it. Honestly, I feel like this lip balm is making them worse! The Dr. Rescue Baby Lips is lightly hydrating, the same amount as the regular Baby Lips formula. The medicated formula fails to soothe chapped, cracked, and sore lips - in fact after the initial cooling feeling disappears, this balm is burny and mildly unpleasant. Menthol is a topical analgesic (numbing agent), so it should relieve pain, but this balm contains a relatively small amount of the ingredient and it isn't too effective. These lip balms have a fairly strong eucalyptus scent and bitter flavor. The eucalyptus note isn't as strong as Vicks, but it isn't something I want on my lips. Too Cool is a clear balm that leaves a light glossiness that lasts about half an hour. This balm's moisture lasts about three hours. Maybelline suggests reapplying their Dr. Rescue Baby Lips no more often than 3 to 4 times per day.
I'm not a fan of Maybelline's Dr. Rescue Baby Lips - I much prefer the regular Baby Lips formulas. Packaging isn't very cute. This lip balm has the same light, slick feel and moderate hydration that I've come to expect from Baby Lips. However, I feel like this medicated lip balm fails to heal and alleviate winter lips. If you aren't a eucalyptus fan (I personally love the stuff), don't even bother with the Dr. Rescue lip balms. I'll finish off this balm, seeing as I'm already half done with it, but I don't plan on repurchasing anything from the Dr. Rescue line. I'm not very experienced with medicated lip balms but I'm sure there are better ones at the drugstore. I recommend the regular Maybelline Baby Lips formula over the Dr. Rescue one. 

                                American Baby Lips Review  -  Australian Baby Lips Review 


Ingredients:

Active Ingredient:
Menthol (.5%)

Inactive Ingredients:
Octyldodecanol, Polybutene, Petrolatum, Isopropyl Myristate, Polethylene, Ozokerite, Diisosteryl Malate, Shea Butter, Candelilla Wax, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Eucalyptus Oil, Pentaerythrityl Tetra Dibutyl Hydroxhydrocinnamate, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Limonene, Honey, Centella Asiatica Extract 

Leave a Comment

  1. Menthol can dry your lips out further in the long run! I try to stick to things without it now and my lips have been much better ever since.

    http://mattekat.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that so? I think I might've heard that before, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the fact, Kat! =D

      Delete
  2. This is great because it uses Australian plants.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...