Em Cosmetics Bronze Kiss Waterliner Review

 Em Cosmetics is the newly launched makeup line by YouTube beauty guru and Ipsy founder Michelle Phan. I've never really been a fan of Michelle, so I didn't share the anticipation many bloggers did. I didn't plan on trying anything from Em, but then I received a full sized Waterliner Intense Color Eyeliner in my November Ipsy Bag. This eyeliner is available in twelve shades - I received Bronze Kiss. Each Waterliner contains .01 oz and retails for $20*. This eyeliner was inspired by "the die-hard eyeliner girl who would take only her favorite eyeliner to a deserted island. A unique, rich pigment eyeliner grabs everywhere, including your waterline - without budging or smudging." Em Cosmetics is a sub-brand of L'Oreal, so their products are not cruelty free. This eyeliner was made in the USA.

Em Cosmetics' packaging is nice. This eyeliner comes in a black and white cardboard box; the Em logo and product name are printed on the front, a description and ingredient list can be found on the sides. Waterliners are automatic (don't need to be sharpened) and come in color matched plastic tubes. A small smudge tip is attached to the bottom of the pencil; this smudger pulls off to reveal a sharpener. The product and shade names are printed on the tube in silver letters.
I really like Em Cosmetics' Waterliner! This eyeliner has a soft, smooth, but slightly dry texture. I wouldn't say it glides on, the consistency isn't quite creamy. Waterliners tug ever so slightly during application, but it isn't enough to be uncomfortable. This liner remains smudgeable for about 45 seconds after application - after that it sets and stays put for a full eight hours on the lids and around 2 to 3 hours on the waterline. Color payoff is great, I get an opaque line of color in one swipe with no skipping (two layers are needed on the waterline). A second layer gives richer color. I don't recommend using the included smudger or sharpener. The smudge tip is quite rough and isn't very effective, and the sharpener just doesn't even function.
Bronze Kiss is a flattering, metallic, deep bronze with the occasional fleck of gold shimmer. I've really been feeling chocolaty, rich, mid tone browns for my bottom lash line lately, so I've been reaching for Bronze Kiss almost every day since I got it. I wouldn't recommend using this shade on the waterline, as its quite warm toned and can give the whites of the eyes a yellowed ill appearance.
[1 light swipe, 5 heavy swipes, 1 smudged swipe]
Em Cosmetics Waterliner in Bronze Kiss is really nice! Is it $20 nice? Eh, not really, but then again I don't think any eyeliner should cost that much. Packaging is attractive. The texture, pigmentation, and longevity are all great - overall I'm quite pleased. I particularly like the shade Bronze Kiss, though not on the waterline. If you're looking for a cheaper option, Michelle Phan's Waterliner is very similar to Avon's classic Glimmersticks. If you don't mind the splurge these eyeliners are worth checking out. I'd be open to trying Em Cosmetics Waterliners in other shades (I got my eye on you Ro's Gold). 



*Em Cosmetics has recently reduced the price to $18.

Ingredients:
Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Synthetic Wax, Squalene, Hexamethyldisiloxane, Disiloxane, Polybutene, Alumina, Disteardimonium, Hectorite, Talc, Propylene Carbonate, Lecithin, Tocpherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid

May Contain:
Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Carmine, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Blue 1, Yellow 5 



This post contains an affiliated link/referral code. 

4 comments

  1. That eyeliner looks nice, I like that shade. I haven't tried anything in this line so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely, but I don't think I'd be willing to shed $20 for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried Michelle Phan's collection yet, but hopefully she will put some in the Ipsy bag soon!

    ReplyDelete