The Body Shop Strawberry Born Lippy Balm Review

 The Body Shop's Born Lippy is a "lip moisturizer in a pot. Gives color, flavor, and moisture for more kissable lips." This potted lip balm is available in 4 colors/flavors; today I'm reviewing Strawberry. Born Lippy balms contain 8.5g (10 ml, .29 oz) and sell for $6 ($8AUD). This is one of my first The Body Shop products, which I picked up from The Body Shop in Parramatta, which I definitely recommend if you live in Western Sydney, their staff is awesome - friendly, knowledgeable and helpful! The Body Shop is a cruelty free company, but their parent company, L'Oreal is not. This lip balm was made in the UK. The Body Shop products can be bough through their website and stores, a limited selection is also available at Ulta.

 Born Lippy comes in a small, clear plastic pot with a twist off cap. A label featuring parted lips, The Body Shop logo, and the product and shade names is affixed to the cap. A peel up label offering an ingredient list can be found on the bottom of the pot. Packaging is recyclable. I'm not really a fan of potted lip products, so this is strictly an at-home product for me. Despite my distaste for this style of packaging, I have to say its pretty cute.
 Born Lippy is more of a gloss than a lip balm. This lip product is a dense but lightweight gel that feels slightly sticky but smooth and moist on the lips, but not hydrating in the way a true balm should be. I get pretty short wear from The Body Shop's Born Lippy - an hour to an hour and a half. Born Lippy is transfer prone, but also seems to sink into the lips a little. The Strawberry Born Lippy has a strong, realistic strawberry fragrance and a light, semi artificial flavor.
 Strawberry is a very sheer shade, it gives a delicate reddish pink flush to the lips. Color payoff can be built up by applying Strawberry in a thick layer or in several thin layers. Strawberry is devoid of shimmer or glitter. This shade has a translucent, glossy finish.
The Body Shop's Strawberry Born Lippy Balm is ok. This review would've been slightly more positive if The Body Shop classified this product as a gloss as opposed to a balm. If you call a product a lip gloss, I'll probably like it, it isn't hard to please me in that department. On the other hand, I have kinda high expectations for a balm. This gloss is light, comfortable, and slightly moisturizing. Color payoff is purposely sheer, but kind of buildable. Strawberry provides a barely there red glossy tint with a pleasant strawberry taste and smell. I wouldn't repurchase this potted glossy, I'd rather try a Born Lippy Stick next time. 


Ingredients:
Ricinus Communis (Castor Seed) Oil, Lanolin, Polyglyceryl-3 Beeswax, Flavor, Beeswax, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Tocopherol, Coumarin, Benzyl Benzoate, Methyl 2-Octynoate, Linalool, Benzyl Cinnamate, Benzyl Alcohol, Farnesol, Geraniol, Eugenol, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Salicylate, Yellow 5 Lake, Red 7 Lake.

6 comments

  1. I'm not really into potted balms/glosses since I like doefoot applicators, so I'll give this a miss. Another one of my gripes with the Body Shop is how the strawberry products end up smelling overly sweet. Great review, nonetheless! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find the scent overly sweet, but something about the flavor is slightly off. Thank you for reading <3

      Delete
  2. Their lip butters are amazing! I stay away from these born lippy products, I don't like them at all. If you get the chance, try the sweet lemon lip butter. Uh-may-zing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to try their lip butters! I love lemons, they're my favorite fruit. so thanks for the suggestion! <3

      Delete
  3. I didn't know loreal was the parent company of the body shop - pretty tinted balm x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, L'Oreal owns pretty much everyone lulz.

      Delete