The Body Shop Chocomania Body Butter Review

The Body Shop is known for their Body Butters. So many times I've been tempted to try a mini tub while browsing at Ulta, but I could never commit to a scent. I recently stopped at The Body Shop in Parramatta and purchased a set that contained a mini Chocomania Body Butter and a full sized Born Lippy Balm in Strawberry for $17 AUD. The Body Shop describes their Chocomania Body Butter as a "decadently chocolately body butter" that "gives extra long lasting hydration. It contains 13 Community Fair Trade ingredients - the most we've ever put into one product! It leaves skin sweetly scented and feeling softer and smoother." The mini body butter contains 50ml (1.69 oz/48g) and sells for $9.95 AUD ($6USD). The full sized tub contains 200ml (6.7oz/199g) and sells for $27.95 ($20USD). The Body Shop does not test on animals, but the company is owned by L'Oreal, which is not cruelty free. This body butter was made in the UK. The Body Shop products can be bought through the brand's website, at The Body Shop stores, and in a limited selection at Ulta.

The Body Shop's Chocomania Body Butter comes in a recyclable, round brown tub with a twist off lid. A label featuring chunks of chocolate and The Body Shop's logo is affixed to the lid. The back of the tube has a peel up label affixed to it, offering a full ingredient list and miscellaneous company information. 
 I was extremely surprised by the texture of The Body Shop's Chocomania Body Butter. It was very dense and almost hard. I had difficulty scooping product out at first. This body butter has softened from sitting in our very sunny bathroom, but even then it is still a little difficult to work with. Are all Body Shop Body Butters like this? Regardless of the texture, the body butter is great quality. This peachy butter melts smoothly onto the skin. I recommend applying this cream over wet skin as opposed to dry, as it'll spread more evenly and sink in just a bit quicker. This body butter leaves a thin, slick residue for several minutes and oddly enough, after its fully sunk in, it leaves my skin with a peachy tint. I don't think that last bit is intentional. Anyways, this body butter is intensely moisturizing, too much for me in general, I only use the Chocomania Body Butter on the driest areas (knees, elbows, and ankles). I found this product quite soothing for semi-healed sunburn. The Body Shop's Body Butter is also great to moisturize nails and cuticles. I have rough, abused nails and this rich cream makes them look good as new.
 I wasn't sure what to expect out of The Body Shop's Chocomania scent. I mean, I don't exactly smell chocolately body products all that often. For the most part, it seems like The Body Shop keeps their scents simple and natural smelling. Chocomania is sweet but not sickening. I'd say it smells like hot chocolate mix/sweetened cocoa powder. Under that sweet, chocolately goodness is something nutty, or woody, it smells like a men's cologne to me. This note is pretty pungent,





Ingredients:
Water (Solvent/Diluent), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Skin-Conditioning Agent/Emollient), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (Emollient/Skin Conditioner), Honey (Natural Additive), Sucrose (Flavoring Agent), Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter (Emollient), Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil (Emollient), Cetearyl Alcohol (Emulsifier), Glyceryl Stearate (Emulsifier), PEG-100 Stearate (Surfactant), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil (Emollient/Hair Conditioner), Beeswax (Emulsifier/Emollient), Bertholletia Excelsa Seed Oil (Emollient), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (Emulsifier), Caprylyl Glycol (Skin Conditioning Agent), Ethylhexyl Palmitate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Fragrance (Fragrance), Dimethicone (Skin Conditioning Agent), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil (Emollient), Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Xanthan Gum (Viscosity Modifier), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Skin Conditioning Agent), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Coumarin (Fragrance Ingredient), Denatonium Benzoate (Denaturant), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster), Caramel (Colour), Yellow 6 (Colour), Red 4 (Colour).

6 comments

  1. A lot of The Body Shop's body butters are that hard. I think they are just so thick which is a good thing in my opinion. I love their stuff my favourite is their hemp seed line which doesn't smell great but makes me skin so lovely!

    http://mattekat.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for clearing that up. Its a good thing in my opinion as well, the density just caught me off guard a little lul. I haven't seen much on the hemp seed line, but I'll definitely take a peek at it.

      Delete
  2. My parents cover these!!! I've been curious to try the chocolate scented one so thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome! I hope you like the chocolate one. :3

      Delete