Aveeno Protect+Hydrate SPF 30 Lotion Sunscreen Review

Aveeno's new Protect+Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen is available in three levels of broad spectrum sun protection; SPF 30,50, and 70. Aveeno says their SPF 30 formula "combines ENVIROGUARD™ Technology and ACTIVE NATURALS® Colloidal Oatmeal to deliver superior broad spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection while hydrating skin to keep it soft, smooth and feeling healthier than before you went in the sun. For use on face and body, this exclusive formula is fast absorbing, oil free, noncomedogenic, and sweat and water-resistant for 80 minutes." This sunscreen contains 3 fl oz (85g) and has a MSRP of $9.99. I was sent a full sized bottle by Free Beauty Events in exchange for promoting their website. Aveeno products are not cruelty free. Its unknown where this sunscreen was made.

Packaging for this lotion sunscreen is pretty nice. The off-white squeeze tube and yellow flip top cap do not seem to be recyclable. The Aveeno logo, product name, and some claims can be found on the front of the tube. A drug facts sheet can be found on the back of the tube. Basic and functional, the tube is fairly small and easy to carry around for reapplication.
The texture of thus sunscreen is unpleasant by my standards. Aveeno's Protect+Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen manages to be both runny and chunky. Ick. The lotion spreads nicely on the skin, but leaves a light, oily residue. This lotion sunscreen sinks in pretty quickly, leaving the skin feeling smooth and moisturized. Aveeno claims that their Protect+Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen is suitable for use on the face and won't clog pores, but I haven't found that to be true. This sunscreen leaves my face looking and feeling greasy and I always end up with blocked pores on my nose after use. I also want to dispute the claim that this sunscreen is sweat and waterproof for up to 80 minutes. I've been mildly sunburned at least twice while wearing Aveeno's Protect+Hydrate Sunscreen. Granted both times it was 90°F (32°C), and the Australian sun is very harsh, but I wasn't out for anywhere near 80 minutes, nor was I in water. While I'm at it, can I also complain about the price? Ten bucks for 3 oz? Dang. I can get nearly triple that from Hawaiian Tropic for the same price - and the product is much more dependable. If you're familiar with Aveeno's products, you're already well acquainted with this sunscreen's light, floral scent.
I am not at all a fan of Aveeno's Protect+Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen. The texture is strange. I feel like I can't depend on this sunscreen for adequate sun protection. There is really no reason for me to get sunburn on a 30 minute walk, regardless of where I am. I'll finish off the tube as a lotion, but I'll be sticking to my Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch Lotion Sunscreen, it's a better product for a better price. If you're serious about sun protection, please steer clear of Aveeno's Protect+Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen.



Active Ingredients
Avobenzone (3% ) (Sunscreen), Homosalate (8%) (Sunscreen), Octisalate (4%) (Sunscreen), Octocrylene (4%) (Sunscreen), Oxybenzone (5%) (Sunscreen)

Inactive Ingredients
Water, Glycerin, Silica, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Beeswax, Benzyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Behenyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Caprylyl Methicone, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Propylene Glycol, Chlorphenesin, Arachidyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Diethylhexyl 2,6-Naphthalate, Sodium Hydroxide, Stearyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Cetyl Alcohol, Lignoceryl Alcohol, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Codium Tomentosum Extract, Potassium Palmitoyl Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein


Disclaimer:
This product was sent to me in exchange for promoting freebeautyevents.com. I honestly endorse this website regardless of compensation. 

4 comments

  1. Too bad this didn't work well. I normally love Aveeno products, but I will probably skip this one.

    http://mattekat.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally like Aveeno as well! My mum is a hardcore Aveeno fangirl, and even she didn't like this sunscreen.

      Delete
  2. Very nice review! Probably gonna pass on this!

    http://fashiononthetrend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Told you I didn't need to put this on

    ReplyDelete