Urban Decay Sin Primer Potion Review

 I'm finally trying Urban Decay's immensely popular Primer Potion in the shade Sin. Urban Decay says their Primer Potion is "the most legendary primer in the beauty industry. Eyeshadow Primer Potion is coveted by makeup artists and makeup junkies alike because it guarantees more vibrant eyeshadow that lasts for 24 hours and NEVER CREASES! Once you experience its powers (plus how smoothly it glides on – an added bonus) you'll never want to live without it." Urban Decay offers their iconic eye primer in four shades. The full sized Primer Potion contains 11ml (.37 fl oz) an retails for $20; Urban Decay also offers a 7ml (.13 fl oz) mini size for $9. I received my mini size of Sin as a giveaway prize from a friend and fellow blogger, Carly from the Science of Chic. Urban Decay does no test on animals, though the brand is now owned by L'Oreal. This eye primer is made in America.

 Urban Decay's Primer Potions come in two different types of packaging. The full sized Primer Potion comes in a squeeze tube, the product name and Urban Decay logo are printed on the front of the tube. The minis come to you in a curvy, hard plastic tube. The uniquely shaped cap twists off to reveal a bent doe foot applicator. The product name is printed on the front of the bottle. About half of the paint has chipped or rubbed off the bottle, which isn't attractive.
 Urban Decay's Primer Potion is legendary, I feel like the only person in the entire beauty blogging community that hasn't tried it yet. I have to say, for me, this eye primer didn't live up to the hype for me. The Sin Primer Potion is a smooth, thin, slightly creamy eye primer that glides on and is a cinch to blend. This primer doesn't really seem to help eyeshadows apply more smoothly, but it does slightly improve blendability. Sin improves color payoff by about 50%. Because Sin is a colored eye primer, I hoped I could wear it as a one and done subtle cream eyeshadow. My hopes were dashed though - Sin just can't make it for more than a few hours without creasing. We aren't talking just a little line of product in the crease. Nope, I'm talking full on, all product bunched up in the crease with no trace of it on the lid. What? Urban Decay you said your Primer Potions would NEVER CREASE. Surely it performs better with eyeshadow over the top of it. Once again, no. I can get another hour or so from Sin, but still for a primer the wear is pathetically short.
 Urban Decay describes Sin as a "champagne shimmer" which is pretty accurate. Sin is a sheer, pinky tan shade with gold micro shimmer. I really like the color, its flattering and super subtle - it looks great on it's own. I particularly like to pair Sin with Urban Decay's YDK eyeshadow. Sin has a subtle but interesting effect on any eyeshadow layered over it, it adds a fair bit of warmth to all colors and seems to boost the shimmer effect significantly as well.
I like a lot of things about Urban Decay's Primer Potion in Sin, but overall the formula disappoints me. This eye primer is blendable and assists in application. Sin is a lovely neutral shade that gives any eyeshadow a warm, interesting twist. I'm very disappointed in how quickly this eye primer creases. I don't even have oily eyelids! Maybe Sin will work better for those with dry lids. If I was going to drop $20 on a high end primer I'd opt for Too Faced Shadow Insurance over Urban Decay's Primer Potion. I believe Too Faced also offers a similar shade as well. I won't be repurchasing, nor will I continue to use this primer.

Ingredients:
Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polyethylene, Trihydroxystearin, Triethylhexanoin, Isopropyl Lanolate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Propylene Carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Synthetic Beeswax, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben.
May Contain:
Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491/ CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride).

5 comments

  1. I've had great experiences with this! Too bad it didn't work out for you, maybe wearing it over another primer as an all over color would be better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that it works out for you. I'll try that, but I shouldn't have to prime my lids for a primer, know what I mean?

      Delete
  2. I got a sample of all four of their primers, and I definitely prefer Eden, which mattifies the lid, over Sin. Also Sin doesn't crease when there's an eyeshadow over it. I know you wanted to wear it as a standalone product, but that's not really what it was meant to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to try Eden eventually. I still experienced creasing with a shadow over Sin, I addressed it in the review.

      Delete