NYX Red Velvet Butter Balm Review

 I love the Butter Glosses NYX put out earlier this year, so I was really excited when I heard about the Butter Balms. NYX says "kiss dry lips goodbye with out rich, buttery lip balm. This scrumptious lip balm melts directly on to the lips leaving a shiny, tinted finish behind, making lips kissably soft. These delicious formulas come in a variety of colors and flavors." NYX offers eight shades, I have Red Velvet, which I chose at random. Each Butter Balm contains 4g (.14 oz) and sells for around $4. NYX is a cruelty free brand. This lip balm was made in China. NYX products can be bought through the brand's website, Cherry Charm, Ulta, Target, and select drugstores.

 NYX Butter Balms come in standard, color matched lip balm tubes. I'm a little confused about the design of the label - mine is entirely different from what's shown on the NYX website. My tube comes with the NYX logo and product name on the front. On the back you'll find the shade name and number, a full ingredient list, and some miscellaneous information.
 I'm gonna be honest here,the Butter Lip Balms disappointed me. Not necessarily because they're a bad product, but because NYX has already released this product under a different name. Remember NYX Color Balms? These are essentially the same thing. Most of the ingredients match, and they perform relatively the same. (I'd do a full on comparison if I could, but my Color Balm is back in America.) I was very neutral about the Color Balms and my opinion has not changed with the slight reformulation. NYX Butter Balms are just a little dry and waxy in the tube, but it feels slightly greasy on the lips. I don't find this lip balm formula to be particularly moisturizing or softening. I have chapped lips at the moment and this balm is not doing them any favors. Any moisture the Butter Balm does impart is not long lasting. What disappointed me the most is how distinctly non-buttery the Butter Balm is. The Butter Glosses do feel a little like melted butter on the lips, sadly this balm does not. Though NYX eludes that these balms will be flavored to match the name, I find it untrue. This balm doesn't taste like red velvet cake, but it has a slight sweet taste and scent, identical to that of the Color Balm.
 Red Velvet is a sheer, pinky red with no shimmer and a glossy finish. Though Red Velvet is sheer, its quite buildable and can be fairly opaque in two to three layers. The color isn't anything special, its fairly similar to the Grazie shade of Color Balm. Funny how that worked out. Though the glossy finish isn't long lasting, the red tint of this balm lasts about an hour to an hour and a half. Red Velvet fades unevenly, leaving me with a ring of color along my lip line, which is never flattering.
What a let down. I thought NYX Butter Balms would be moist, comfortable, glossy, and all around awesome like the Butter Glosses. Nope. My expectations were met with dry, waxy, but decently pigmented disappointment. If you like tinted lip balms and aren't fussy about consistency you might like NYX Butter Balms, but skip them if you expect a moisturizing formula. I'm actually really annoyed at NYX for essentially renaming and repackaging their Color Balms. Aren't you better than that NYX? I thought you were. I wouldn't repurchase, nor do I recommend the NYX Butter Balms. 

Ingredients:
Mineral Oil/Paraffinum Liquidum/Huile Minerale, Ceresin, Polybutene, Octyldodecanol, Synthetic Wax, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Silica, Petrolatum, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Helianthus Annuus ( Sunflower ) Seed Oil, Stearoxymethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax/Candelilla Cera/Cire de Candelilla, Beeswax/Cera Alba/Cire d'abeille, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance/Parfum, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bisabolol.

May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77499, 77491, 77492), Red 6 (CI 15850), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140).

For Comparison
NYX Color Balm Ingredients:
 Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Polybutene, Octyldodecanol, Polyethylene, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Hydrogenated  Polyisobutene, Helianthus Annuus ( Sunflower ) Seed Oil, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Butyrospermum Parkii  ( Shea Butter ), Silica, Stearoxymethicone / Dimethicone Copolymer, Parfum, Beeswax, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bisabolol, Tin Oxide,

May Contain: Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), D&C Red 6 Na. Salt (CI 15850), D&C Red 28 Al Lake (CI 45410), D&C Red 7 Ca Lake (CI 15850), FD&C Yellow 5 Al. Lake (CI 19140:1), FD&C Yellow 6 Al Lake (CI 15985:1), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Iron Oxide Red  (CI 77491) , Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499)

8 comments

  1. I feel like this is such a trend with make up companies now. How disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it really is, I think its bullshit to be honest.

      Delete
  2. oh poo. I just ordered this from cherry culture before I saw that you reviewed it, at least it looks good on :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Haley by the way, not sure why I'm logged in as a project from a computer class that I took forever ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope you enjoy it even if it wasn't what you expected =( Also, sup <3

      Delete
  4. Lets grab the torches and pitchforks.

    ReplyDelete