NYC Big Bold Curl Mascara Review




 NYC's says their Big Bold Curl Mascara "gives your lashes up to 12 times more volume and up to 99% more lift. One stroke multiples your lashes up to 147%. There are no clumps, just full on drama and turned up impact. Lashes get curled from corner to corner." I'd had my eye on this mascara for quite a while, so I was very surprised to receive it as a gift from my friend Rae. This mascara contains 12ml (.40 fl oz) an d sells for $4.99 in the US. Big Bold Curl is ophthalmologist tested. NYC is owned by Coty, a company with unclear animal testing policies. This mascara was made in England.

 I was initially drawn to Big Bold Curl by it's packaging. The fat, round, plastic tube is a very attractive shade of aqua. I'm a sucker for anything aqua, so that alone made me want this mascara. The product name and NYC logo are printed on the tube in playful, metallic magenta letters. The color scheme is very similar to Maybelline's Mega Plush. A label is attached to the cap, offering the shade name and a full ingredient list.
 Remember my review for Maybelline's The Rocket Mascara? In that post I put up a big fuss about the brush being too large and how I felt like recently mascara brushes are getting a little out of hand size-wise. Well NYC's Big Bold Curl has a big, bold brush that's far too large for my liking. The concept of this brush is good - about an inch long with evenly spaced traditional bristles and a gentle curve. Good stuff, but this brush is too chunky, its literally larger than my eyelid. I need to open my eyes super wide when applying Big Bold Curl to avoid smearing and eye injuries. This brush also holds loads of product, especially at the tip.
I have mixed feelings about NYC's Big Bold Curl Mascara, but my overall opinion leans more towards negative. That seems to be a recurring theme in my NYC mascara reviews. Big Bold Curl is a very wet mascara; it makes Maybelline Great Lash seem dry in comparison. Big Bold Curl takes ages to dry and when it does its rock hard. NYCs Big Bold Curl adds a decent amount of length and some volume. You need to be very light handed when applying this mascara, it builds up very quickly and can get quite clumpy if you're careless. Because Big Bold Curl is such a hard, dry mascara it holds a curl extremely well, if fact I don't even need to use my lash curler, Big Bold Curl does all the work for me. Extra Black, this mascara's sole shade option really is quick dark which is great, the black the better in my book. I have variable wear with this mascara. If I come in any contact with moisture, Big Bold Curl runs immediately. I definitely cannot wear this mascara to work. While Big Bold Curl doesn't flake on it's own, the hard formula makes my lashes itchy so I tend to accidentally rub my eyes, causing flaking. I take at least partial blame for that. NYC's Big Bold Curl removes easily and is not waterproof. 
Ok maybe I don't dislike Big Bold Curl as much as I thought. While this isn't my ideal mascara, it has some good qualities and is significantly better than other NYC mascaras I've tried. I also would like to note that this mascara has a pretty solid ingredient list. Funny how a $5 from a brand that's typically considered to have low quality products can contain more beneficial or natural ingredients than most high end mascaras I've used. If you want long, dark, curly lashes try NYC's Big Bold Curl, but be warned, you need a light hand and a dry environment. 



Ingredients:
Methacrylate Copolymer, Collagen, Apricot Kernel Oil, Colloidal Gold, Silver Ferment, Ceramide 2, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Olive Oil Unsaponifiables, Sodium Sulfate, Isopropyl Titanium Triisosterate, Orchid Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Bamboo Extract, Sodium Benzoate, Tocopherol, Chrlophensin, Sorbic Acid
May Contain:
Carmine, Chromium Oxide Green, D&C Black 2, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Iron Oxides, Mica, Titanium Dioxide


Leave a Comment

  1. I love NYC for mascaras, they're so affordable and good quality! I found your blog through a blog hop and I'm glad that I did, I look forward to more posts from you :)

    I love your blog and have followed. Check out my blog and follow back if you like it )

    ourlondonwardrobe.com

    x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...