Revlon Dawn Just Bitten Lip stain+Balm Review

 Revlon's Just Bitten Lip Stain&Balm is a "unique 2-in-1 to give you a kiss proof color with a soft shine and nourishing balm for supreme comfort." Revlon offers a total of fifteen shades, this review is for the shade Dawn. I've previously reviewed one other color, Gothic. I had originally purchased this stain for my mum, but she wasn't a fan of the marker style applicator. The Just Bitten Lip Stain&Balm retails for betweeb $7-11, depending on where you buy them. I don't recall how much I paid for this lip stain, all I remember is that I bought it at Ulta. Revlon claims to not test on animals, but there's some controversy surrounding that claim, so please do your own research before buying Revlon products. This lip stain was made in America.

 Revlon's Just Bitten Lip Stain&Balm looks like most other marker style lip stain. The tube's color matches that of the product. The product name, Revlon logo, and shade name are printed on the tube in silver lettering. On one end is a felt tip, rounded marker applicator with a double cap to prevent it from drying out. On the other end is a lip balm with a loosely attached cap. Now, almost everyone who's used the Just Bitten Lip Stain&Balm has complained that the balm end snapped right off. With my Gothic Just Bitten Lip Stain&Balm, the balm stayed in place no matter what. Not the case for Dawn, who's balm snapped off on the first use and is now lodged in the cap. Aside from that, I like the packaging, the marker tip stays moist and is easy to work with.
 I'mma be honest, I feel really bad that I gave this product to my Mum. My Revlon Just Bitten Stain in Gothic  is awesome and I expected Dawn to be just as good. Oh, was I wrong. I'm not sure if its the shade or if I bought a faulty product, but I have a really hard time getting this stain to perform well. First off, Dawn applies poorly, I need at least two layers for it to look remotely even, and even then its still obviously clinging to certain parts of my lips (exfoliating doesn't seem to help). While I don't find Revlon's lip stain to feel drying, it looks pretty dry on my lips. It'd be nice if I could apply the balm, but alas, its a mashed up mess. If I manage to apply the balm, it vastly improves the look of the lip stain, giving it a subtle sheen and evening out the appearance of the color. For a lip stain, Dawn has very short wear time, less than an hour. Reapplication is a pain because it makes the color that did stick around look even patchier. Revlon's Just Bitten Lip Stains have a mild fruity scent that does not transfer onto the lips. The balm is scentless and flavorless.
 Dawn is a nice color, I think it looks pretty good on me. This shade is a neutral, kinda brownish pink. The color payoff is translucent, so it plays off your natural lip color. My lips are naturally pink and pigmented, so Dawn gives my lips a pretty, light red look, almost the color of a nice grapefruit. Its a shame that this stain doesn't work better, if it did I'd reach for it pretty often.
[stain+balm]
I'm not pleased with Revlon's Just Bitten Lip Stain&Balm in Dawn. I had high expectations for this lip stain, because I know other shades from the range are awesome. Dawn's lip balm snapped right off, rendering it useless. The stain applies in a blotchy manner, no matter what condition my lips are in. Wear time is poor, considerably shorter than any lip stain should last. The shade Dawn is really pretty, it gives my lips a fresh, soft red flush. Unfortunately, I find the finish unflattering. The Revlon Just Bitten Lip Stains+Balms can be hit or miss, so be careful when selecting your shade. My advice is to skip the shade Dawn, tempting as it may be. 


Ingredients:
Lip stain: 
Water, ascorbyl glucoside, VP/methacryalamide/vinyl imidazole copolymer, alcohol denat., fragrance, sodium hydroxide, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol, caprylyl glycol, 1,2 hexanediol.

May contain: Red 33 (CI 17200), yellow 5 (CI 19140), red 28 (CI 45410), yellow 6 (CI 15985), blue 1 (CI 42090).

Balm:
 Octyldodecanol, polybutene, polyethylene, synthetic beeswax, mica, tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, lecithin, glyceryl stearate, glyceryl oleate, citric acid, benzoic acid

2 comments

  1. It's a shame this didn't work out well because the color is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great neutral shade.. blotchiness is a no no tho ;D

    My Blog: Caught in a Daze.

    ReplyDelete