Julep American Beauty Volumizing Mascara Review




 As most of my readers know, I'm an unapologetic mascara addict. I love and crave new mascaras, so I was very pleased to receive Julep's American Beauty Volumizing Mascara in my May Julep Box. Julep doesn't make too many claims for this mascara, however they do say that the formula is "Jet black. Lash growth enhancement ingredients and microfiber applicator separates, conditions, and plumps individual lashes for a thick and gorgeous finish." This mascara is beeswax based, so vegans beware. This is a very pricey mascara, it'll put you out $24, or $19.20 if you have the Julep Maven discount. Julep products can be bought through the brand's website, the four Julep Nail Parlors located in Washington State, or in a limited selection at Sephora. Julep also offers a monthly subscription service that sells for $19.99 and includes three products. The subscription service is the most cost effective way to sample Julep's products. Julep products are made in the USA and are not tested on animals.

For the most part, I've been a fan of the way Julep packages their products, and that holds true for their Volumizing Mascara. This mascara came in a black cardboard box that offered directions, a description, and a full ingredient list. The tube for Julep's mascara is pretty unique, it's rectangular and clear, with a fair bit of excess plastic encasing it. The Julep logo and product name are printed on the tube in silver lettering, but they're already starting to rub off. The tube is topped off by a black plastic cap. The packaging for this mascara is recyclable.
I really like this mascara's brush. It carries just the right amount of product. The brush is about an inch long, slightly curved, with rubber bristles. The curve of this brush is very gentle, you'd hardly notice it if you weren't to study the brush. Why? The curve is created by a reduction in the length of the bristles in the center of only one side of the brush. I can tell that this brush was carefully designed and I truly appreciate that. Julep has crafted an easy to work with wand that can really grasp the lashes.
Julep's American Beauty Volumizing Mascara is overwhelmingly fibrous. As in, you pull the want out and little lash extensions are hanging off in every direction. I've had very mixed results when using this mascara; sometimes it's amazing and other times it sucks. Let's talk about what Julep's Volumizing Mascara is like on a good day. On a good day, it rivals Tarte's Gifted and Covergirl's Clump Crusher as my current favorite mascara. The American Beauty Volumizing Mascara is entirely misnamed. Volume? What volume? This mascara gives separation, not volume, and it provides an amazing amount of length. The results are super long, wispy, flirty lashes that hold a curly beautifully. I love it. But then, there are the bad days. When Julep's mascara fails, it really fails. The fibers clump up and eventually fall off. The fibers in Julep's American Beauty Volumizing Mascara are super long, too long in my opinion. They tend to hang off the ends of the lashes, making them look droopy. This mascara doesn't really flake, but it can be smudgy when worn in humid conditions. I can't imagine how disastrous it'd be if I wore this mascara to work. I should also mention that this mascara is a total no-go for contact lens wearers, or those with sensitive eyes. The little fibers can fall into the eye, and when they do its very irritating.   
I feel like Julep, as a brand, is very hit or miss, and this product is a prime example of that. For me, Julep's American Beauty Volumizing Mascara is excellent one day and atrocious the next. I tend to like fiber mascaras, but this one contains too many fibers, and they aren't mixed evenly throughout the formula. On a good day, the results I get from Julep's mascara are really flirty and fluttery, just like I like them. If only it applied that way everyday. The look of this mascara's packaging is definitely interesting. I absolutely love the brush, I commend Julep for putting effort into designing an awesome, functional brush instead of just sticking in your average spoolie. I'm very glad that I got to try this mascara, it was on my wishlist for a long time. Would I repurchase Julep's American Beauty Volumizing Mascara? Heck no, I wouldn't pay $20-24 for any mascara, let alone one with such inconsistent results. 





Ingredients:
Water, Iron Oxides, Paraffin, Beeswax, Acrylates/Ethylhexyl Acrylate/Hema Copolymer, Glycerin, Polybutene, Triethanolamine, Silica, Stearic Acid, Cadelilla Wax, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Palmitic Acid, Caranuba Wax, Acacia Senegal Wax, Nylon 6, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/Diethylaminoethyl Methacrylate/Ethylhexyl, AcrylatesCopolymer, Sodium Polymethacrylate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, DMDM Hydatonin, Polysorbate 20, Tocopherol Acetate, Panthenol, Trisodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Magnesium Nitrate, Black 2, Iodopropylnyl Butylcarbamate, Myristoyl Pentapeptide 17, Methylchloroisothiazoloenone, Magnesium Chloroide, Methylisothizalonone, Potassium Sorbate, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Isodeceth 6

umwtfjulep. 



this post contains affiliated links.

Leave a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...