Coastal Scents Hot Pot Eyeshadow Review Part II (Ashen, Candlelight, Gunmetal, Incognito)

 Coastal Scents' Hot Pots are pressed eyeshadows sold in pan form. Coastal Scents offers a total of 377 shades, I've previously reviewed four and really enjoyed them. I received a small quad of these eyeshadows in my March Ipsy Bag. Coastal Scents makes a singular claim about their eyeshadows, calling them "highly pigmented." Each Hot Pot eyeshadow contains 1.3 grams and retails for just $1.95. Coastal Scents products are made in China. Coastal Scents products are mass produced and rebranded. This brand is cruelty free and only buys from cruelty free suppliers.

 My little sample quad is quite cute, the eyeshadows are super tiny, even smaller than the Yaby ones I recently reviewed. The quad comes in a plastic clam shell with a map of the colors on the back. The full sized Hot Pot eyeshadows come in 1" magnetized pans (the same size as a MAC shadow, for reference). These pans are meant to be housed in customized palettes. Coastal Scents offers four sizes of palettes, all are very reasonably priced.
 The four shadows I received come together to form a cool toned, basic smokey eye. As a whole, these eyeshadows are decent, they're very well pigmented, but I feel like Coastal Scents could smooth out their formula. My main concern with Coastal Scents eyeshadows is fallout, three of the four shades have chunky, unrefined textures, so I tend to end up with specks of product on my cheeks. These shadows wear well, no fading with moderate creasing after eight hours. The two darker shades tend to stain my eyelids a little.
 Ashen is my favorite shade in the bunch. Coastal Scent describes this shade as a "light greyish taupe with a hue with a satiny finish,". Ashen is indeed a taupe, with a bit of a golden sheen. This shadow can provide a light wash of color or a shimmery, metallic pop on the lids. Ashen is a dream to work with, it blends beautifully and causes little fallout.
 Coastal Scents describes Gunmetal as a "sultry deep grey with a slight satiny finish." To me, Gunmetal is more of a soft black with a matte base and small flecks of red glitter. The texture of this eyeshadow is extremely fragile and powdery, so expect a mess when using it. The glitters don't bind well with the pigments, so you're more likely to see them on your cheeks than on your eyes. Gunmetal tends to swatch poorly, but the color payoff on the eye is good. That being said, I feel like this is the weak point of the quad, because of the texture issues.
 Candlelight is a "decadent wash of silvery grey with a satin finish." This eyeshadow is a soft greyish white that can flash a little bit blue. Candlelight is fairly frosty, which combined with the color, makes it unflattering in my opinion. This eyeshadow's texture is a little lumpy, so it tends to cause a good deal of fallout. Despite the clumpy feel, Candlelight has a smooth finish on the lid and is quite blendable.
 And finally, we come to Incognito, which Coastal Scents calls a "mysterious black hue with a matte finish." Ain't nothing mysterious about a basic matte black. While this isn't the richest or darkest black, Incognito is well pigmented and has a super smooth, velvety texture and finish. This shadow is a little bit resistant to blending, as mattes tend to be, but it can be worked with. Incognito makes an excellent eyeliner.
As a whole, these four eyeshadows are good, but I prefer the other four Coastal Scents shadows I've received. This quad exhibits some texture issues, mainly fallout. Of the four, Ashen is by far my favorite in both color and performance. Incognito is also pretty good quality. Those two shades are worth checking out, but personally I'd skip Candlelight and Gunmetal, which have quality issues. Coastal Scents Hot Pots are hit or miss, but at less than $2 each, and almost 400 shades to choose from, they're worth checking out. If I wasn't already up to my ears in eyeshadows, I'd probably buy some of these. 



Ingredients:
Talc, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Mineral Oil, Magnesium Stearate, Methylparaben. 

May Contain: 
Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Chromium Oxide Greens, FD&C Red No.40 Al Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.



This post contains an affiliated/referral link. 

3 comments

  1. Gorgeous shadows and I love the eye makeup you created. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pots don't look very hot.

    ReplyDelete