Julep Sugar Smooch Lip Scrub Review




 As a long term user and lover of Lush's Bubblegum Lip Scrub, I had my doubts about Julep's Sugar Smooch Lip Scrub when I received it in my May Julep Maven Box. Julep says this "scrumptious blend of brown sugar, molasses, conditioning oils, Vitamin E, and shea butter will leave your lips soft, smooth, and ready for color (or kisses!). This lip scrub contains 12.5g and retails for a very pricey $14 ($11.20 with the Maven discount). Julep products are cruelty free and made in America. Julep products can be bough through the brand's website, at the four Julep Nail Parlors located in Washington State, and in a limited selection at Sephora. Julep also offers a monthly subscription box for $19.99/month, which is the most affordable way to sample their products.

 The Sugar Smooch Lip Scrub has interesting packaging. This scrub comes housed in a gold plastic sphere with grooves engraved all around it. The sphere twists open to reveal the product. I don't really like the packaging. Julep says it's inspired by the 20's, but it looks more like a cheap knockoff of a vintage item and than legit one. I'm sure the packaging also bumped up the price a buck or two.
 Julep's Sugar Smooch Lip Scrub is a sticky, slightly grainy mixture. The main exfoliate seems to be granules of brown sugar suspended in a Vaseline like base. I feel like the texture of this lip scrub is far too sticky for it to be an effective exfoliate. As soon as it's out of the container and on the lips, the Sugar Smooch Lip Scrub bunches up and refuses to spread over the lips. After I rub that one clump of scrub over my lips, I have to wipe it off with a towel, because the stickiness only increases when Julep's lip scrub gets wet. The Sugar Smooch Lip Scrub barely exfoliates, but the base of this scrub is very moisturizing and makes my lips feel amazingly smooth. I seal that moisture in with my favorite lip balm - the Julep Strawberry Mint Lip Balm, and my lips stay smooth for a couple days. Unlike Lush's lip scrubs, Julep's shouldn't be ingested, it tastes gross and contains inedible ingredients. It does smell delicious though - just like brown sugar.
Julep's Sugar Smooch Lip Scrub was pretty disappointing. The consistency is a bit too gooey for it to thoroughly scrub the lips. This scrub is surprisingly moisturizing though. I'll continue to use Julep's lip scrub but I can't recommend it. Fourteen dollars for a sub-par lip scrub is truly ridiculous; Julep seriously needs to get their prices in check. Save yourself a few bucks and buy a Lush lip scrub instead, they're a sweet, edible treat that's much more effective. 


Ingredients:
Sucrose, Simmondsia Chinesis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Isononyl Isononanoate, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Nylon-12, Molasses, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Flavor, Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Phenoxyethanol.



This post contains an affiliated link 
I cashed in rewards points earned via a referral program to receive this product. 
This post was not sponsored by Julep, but I have been sponsored by Julep in the past. 

Leave a Comment

  1. I love the strawberry lip balm too...its amazing! I'm not a fan of the scrub though...to me it smells like sickingly rich toffee and I hate how narrow the opening is...with long nails its hard to get it out...cleanly anyway. I'm iffy on the packaging...I like how it looks but it feels very cheap. I second the just buy a lush scrub too lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man that lip balm is a damn miracle isn't it? I'm happy you agree with me on this, I was afraid I'd be it's only hater.

      Delete
    2. Oh God tell me about it! It's like the only julep makeup product I'm honestly in love with!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...