Shock by CK One Eau de Toilette Review

Shock by CK One is an "edgy, sexy, impulsive, electrifying new fragrance". CK One, a sub-brand of Calvin Klein, describes Shock as "a fierce bouquet of passionflower, intensified with a drizzle of liquid chocolate accord, and warms into a second skin musk for an addictive signature". CK One offers a version of Shock for men and women, I'll be reviewing the women's version. I received a sample of this fragrance in a swap with my friend Stephanie. There are two sizes of this Eau de Toilette to choose from; 1.7 fl oz ($42) and 3.4 fl oz ($52), which is pretty affordable for a designer fragrance. CK One products can be bough through the Calvin Klein website, at department stores, Sephora, and Ulta. Calvin Klein cosmetics/fragrances are produced by Coty, which has a sketchy and unclear animal testing policy. This fragrance was made in France. 

 Shock has girly yet edgy packaging. My sample came in a white cardboard folder with the CK One logo in black and the Shock logo in playful pink letters with a brush stroke design. The sample tube features the same design, and a little spritzer, which is great because I hate those little vials! I can't really speak for the full sized perfume's packaging, I don't recall ever seeing it in person. It appears to be an opaque white bottle with a screw on cap and shares the same design as the sample.
Top Notes: Passionflower, Pink Peony, Poppy Flower
Mid Notes: Liquid Chocolate Accord, Blackberry, Narcisse, Jasmine
Dry Notes: Vanillin, Patchouli, Amber, Skin Musk

I've been wearing Shock by CK One on and off for about two weeks and honestly I still haven't formed a solid opinion on it. Sometimes I love it, other times I feel really neutral about it. If anything, Shock is fairly unique at first. CK One describes this fragrance as a "juicy floriental", but nothing about Shock strikes me as juicy, in fact this scent is just about fruitless. When first spritzed on, Shock is kinda plasticy and unpleasant, but it quickly settles onto the skin. At first stiff I pick up a yummy, warm chocolate note mixed with just a hair of blackberry and some nondescript florals. Shock morphs into a warm floral as time goes on and it loses it's interest. Florals bore me, so once Shock's sweet, chocolaty notes wear away my neutral opinion kicks in. This scent, like most eau de toilettes, doesn't last very well on me, I only get about 2-3 hours of wear from Shock. This is a surprisingly light scent, it stays very close to the skin. By no means is Shock a weak fragrance, I think "delicate" would be a better term to describe it.
Shock by CK One is totally mis-named in my opinion. You must have an incredibly sheltered scent palette to be "shocked" by this fragrance. This scent is great at first, the chocolaty note really gives it a spark of delicious individuality, but it fades into a run of the mill floral. The price for Shock is pretty reasonable, considering the brand. Spritz this scent on or ask for a sample next time you head into the department store. Shock is worth checking out, but for me it isn't a scent worth buying. 



Ingredients:
Alcohol Denat, Water, Fragrance, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnimate, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Limonene, Benzophenone 3, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Butyl Methoxydibenzolymethane, Butylphenyl Methylpropinal, BHT, Hexyl Cinnimal, Benzyl Alcohol, Citral, Coumarin, Geraniol, Benzyl Benzoate, Acrylates/Octylacrylamides Copolymer, Hydrolized Jojoba Esters 


3 comments

  1. Great review! CKOne was my first fragrance I ever wore so this brand always brings back memories lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This was my first experience with CK One scents, I think I'm going to try out the original next time I'm at Ulta.

      Delete
  2. Is it chocolately enough for me to eet?

    ReplyDelete