Essence Volumizing Lash Powder Review




 Essence is a European drugstore brand that offers some pretty unique products, including their Volumizing Lash Powder. Essence calls this product "artificial mini fibers for a false lash effect." I picked up this lash booster at Ulta for about $3.50. Each jar of Volumizing Lash Powder contaisn .6 oz (1.8g) if fibers. This product was made in Germany, Essence's home country. Essence products are not tested on animals, a practice outlawed in the European Union. Essence products can be bought at Ulta in America; Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada; Priceline and Target in Australia; and drugstores throughout Europe. This product is not safe for contact lense wearers.

 Packaging for Essence's Volumizing Lash Powder is a little too simple, it could use a redesign. These lash fibers come in a plastic jar with a black screw on cap. No sifter, no nothing. The product name and Essence logo can be found on the front of the jar. Some warnings can be found on the back. Essence was kind enough to include a nice little spoolie with this product. Ok, so what exactly are you supposed to do with the spoolie, exactly? You can't dip it into the fibers, because they go everywhere when you pull it out. You can't run the spoolie over the top of the fibers, the opening of the jar is too narrow. The packaging is just such a pain to work with, that alone keeps me from reaching for Essence's Volumizing Lash Powder.
 Essence's Volumizing Lash Powder consists of millions of miniscule, loose, white lash extension fibers. You're meant to apply a coat of mascara, a coat of these fibers, then another coat of mascara, all in quick secession. It isn't as easy as it sounds though. I think I made it clear that its hard to get the fibers onto the brush, but it can also be quite difficult to apply Essence's Volumizing Lash Powder to the lashes. No matter how carefully I tap off the spoolie I still I end up with so many of these little fibers falling into my eyes and onto my face. All the itchy, oh it is so unpleasant. As promised, Essence's Volumizing Lash Powder gives the look of more fullness, but they add a very minimal amount of length. The length this product does provide doesn't last very long at all, mainly because they cause the tips of my lashes to point downward, and eventually they flake off. One other problem that this product presents is that it can run your mascara pretty easily if too many of the fibers get into your tube.
Essence's Volumizing Lash Powder does give the lashes more volume, I give it that. However, I feel like there are a lot of flaws to this product that overshadow it's effectiveness. The packaging was poorly designed, though the included spoolie is nice. The fibers are very loose and irritating to both the eyes and skin. The fibers cause flaking after a few hours and weigh my lashes down. I don't think I'll be reaching for Essence's Volumizing Lash Powder, its just too messy and impractical to use everyday. Kudos to Essence for putting it out there though. It was a bold move, I can't think of any other brand in this price range that offers a similar product.









Essence doesn't list the ingredients for these fibers, but I'm going to assume they're nylon.


Leave a Comment

  1. This is super interesting for a drugstore product! I might try it for just three bucks even though the packaging looks like a massive flaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's kinda the way I looked at it, it was fun to try whether or not it was functional wasn't my main focus.

      Delete
  2. Your results look pretty good! I've tried a similar product (that was much more expensive) and it clumped so bad it wasn't wearable at all. I'd try these if I saw them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the results are pretty nice, just a pain to achieve.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see a review for these. I kept seeing them in the display and almost grabbed them a couple of times, but... I wear contacts so I guess that's a no go. Aside from not liking them in general, perhaps they would be easier to work with if you tapped some onto a piece of paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually really hard to control how much product comes out of the jar, so I think the paper tap-out method would be just as messy! It was a good thought though.

      Delete
  4. Definitely a bold move, but I think I'll stick to powdering my lashes with eyeshadow or using a primer. Thanks for the review; I definitely was tempted to buy this at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer a primer as well. Glad you enjoyed the review.

      Delete
  5. I'm loving all these fiber mascaras out! I just wish this was more useable/contacts safe ! ugh I wish maybelline never discontinued their pro line with the eyelash primer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with a redesign these could be better!

      Delete
  6. I wonder if you can stuff some into the mascara tube and mix it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting idea! I think I'll grab a cheap tube of clear mascara and try it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...